Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th February 2022, 21:09   #51
malagas
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon 2.0 CDT Club, Rover 75 Saloon 2.0 CDTi Contemporary

Thumbs up

Hey guys
I hadn't said anything yet but I want to thank Steve from the bottom of my heart for re-editing the "How To" photos and allowing us to DYD repair our car's starter motor.
Well, this weekend I finally repaired the starter of my R75 and following the process described in detail by Steve, there was only one certainty in the end... It was all right
So my tribute to the great Steve for the seconds, minutes, hours, days... who gave up his well-deserved rest to be able to GIVE us all his knowledge and teaching so we can have our cars on the road.
Thank you very much Steve
Old 23rd May 2023, 19:00   #52
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Default Some tips on replacing the starter motor

Despite following Steve's excellent description above I still had a helluva job getting it back in place, so with some trepidation please allow my ha'porth to add to that of The Master.
I kept jamming the motor at awkward angles till I lashed the top hose back as shown in the pic below which not only gave more room but much greater visibility. There is also a 5mm projecting peg shown round about there which will hold the motor in place while you thread in the bolt.

The top bolt poses problems for it is impossible to see the hole it goes in and you have to keep it captive in the earth lead while you feed in the very long extension socket bar (13mm). My solution was to buy a retractable claw pick up from ToolStation. Once I had this it was a piece of cake as you can hold the bolt horizontal while you engage the socket.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Starter motor hose.jpg (90.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Claw and extension socket bar.jpg (92.4 KB, 68 views)
Old 21st June 2023, 16:04   #53
Les Paul

Rover 75 Tourer

Yep an excellent How TO. I did the contacts and plunger replacement (they really were waffer thin) and thought I'd cracked the no startee problem. 2 days later the no start fault recurred. Stripped it all out again and opened up the motor, the problem was a filthy commutator. I pulled out the rotor and span it by hand in a wrap of 1000 grit wet 'n dry lubricated with WD40. Follow that with a generous blasting of switch cleaner to displace any slivers/particles of copper and remnants from the w&d. Re-installed it. Sorted for good.
Les Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2023, 22:37   #54
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Paul View Post
Yep an excellent How TO. I did the contacts and plunger replacement (they really were waffer thin) and thought I'd cracked the no startee problem. 2 days later the no start fault recurred. Stripped it all out again and opened up the motor, the problem was a filthy commutator. I pulled out the rotor and span it by hand in a wrap of 1000 grit wet 'n dry lubricated with WD40. Follow that with a generous blasting of switch cleaner to displace any slivers/particles of copper and remnants from the w&d. Re-installed it. Sorted for good.
Hi Davied.
Nice to hear of another good successful job on a 75 happy motoring

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2023, 12:31   #55
Les Paul

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Davied.
Nice to hear of another good successful job on a 75 happy motoring

Thanks Artic, I won't lie, "The Guvnah" will be the last car I'll ever buy and the reason for that (apart from the killer fuel economy, it's good looks, silky ride and the Rover badge) is that the existence of this estimable forum and the collective genius of its members gives me the confidence that I can keep this bad boy running until I pass it on to my boys and long thereafter.

Les Paul is offline   Reply With Quote