Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd July 2021, 19:05   #131
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan Collingwood View Post
As much as I'd love a Rover 75, it seems to me that there are just too many issues for someone in my situation to deal with.

I
Quote:
am searching for a reliable and relatively simple second car and, although I can do a lot of work on cars myself, I'm not in a situation to deal with a car that seems to have such complex problems such as over-heating and inlet manifold faults.

I wish I was in a more fortunate situation where I was able to own a Rover 75 as I've wanted one since they were released but, such is life.
Happy motoring to all you 75 owners. I hope you are all able to use your collective knowledge to resolve the issues of these desirable cars. Maybe oneday, to quote a famous Austrian...aahll be buck.

Regards
Aidan
Hi Aidan.
Go for a diesel then no over heating problem then, upgrade it for more power, win win situation.

Easy to service, some later ones do not have the UBFP some have the FBH so you are nice and toasty in the winter, i know of a nice one coming on the market in near future due to the owner not being able to drive it anymore, well looked after one fail in 2009 on a Nearside Rear coil spring fractured.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2021, 15:21   #132
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
You are always able to talk, Simon.
It isn't "talk" Kaiser, it's real life evidence which unfortunately contradicts your belief.
Quote:
Now let's see some proof! Show me a system that will adjust air/petrol mixture for engine temperature above 60 degrees!
You show me one which won't! The truth is Kaiser that neither you nor I knows how an engine ECU is programmed. The manufacturer will guard that information with the utmost security. You believe that an 80˚ coolant temperature won't result in higher fuel consumption. I know that it does because I took the measurements over real driving conditions and made sure that nothing else changed.

I am very happy for you to hold a contrary view Kaiser. Shall we move on?

Simon
Old 24th July 2021, 21:24   #133
MGtom91
Regular poster

MG ZT KV6 (160)

Has anyone successfully changed the thermostat kit using the keyhole method mentioned on the forums (removing clips, refitting them nice and tight with access etc etc). Don't fancy removing manifolds again when I fit my replacement.
MGtom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2021, 21:27   #134
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
So, there you go. No problem.
If you want to know the operating temperature on the thermostat, you can open a discarded unit and see if/what is etched or printed/stamped on the unit.
I have a 80 degree unit in mine. Today we have a cold day here, 13 degrees. I made sure the car was filled with coolant, and off I went. Leisurely driving. Heater off. Temperature on dash showed 80 degrees rather quickly, within 2 km I guess. And then it sat fairly constant at 84 degrees for maybe anther 5 km. After that it started to rise to about 95 and go up and down with stops starts and speed.
So to me it looks as if when the first batch of cold water in the radiator is being used, things are pretty stable, and you will see temperatures of maybe 5 degrees above opening, until the water in the radiator has been through the engine. Then the flat spot moves up another 5 to 10 degrees.

I think the Chinese have started fitting 80 odd degree thermostats in their units as well. And to me, that makes a lot of sense.

And I promise you, that will never make the fuel mixture rich!

So I hope you now feel much better!!
Kaiser
Great post I used to work for mg rover and spent a lot of time at the proving ground testing these cars before the launch and checking running temperatures etc you do have good information on these cars

Last edited by dave lincs; 24th July 2021 at 21:30..
dave lincs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2021, 21:39   #135
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGtom91 View Post
Has anyone successfully changed the thermostat kit using the keyhole method mentioned on the forums (removing clips, refitting them nice and tight with access etc etc). Don't fancy removing manifolds again when I fit my replacement.
Yes done loads via the keyhole method think I was one of the first people who said it can be done and I'm sure others on here will also say they have seen me do it

If you don't fancy doing it yourself bring it here and I will do it for you

Dave
dave lincs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2021, 21:42   #136
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGtom91 View Post
Yes but the photos are now missing

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...=177152&page=4

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2021, 22:41   #137
biffa75
Trader

Mk1 2004 tourer cdti + MK1 2003 Saloon CDT

My last post will be on this thread I think..

The point I was making here alongside trying to help others despite the thoughts and beliefs of others is..

If parts sellers are advertising a product, you buy said parts or products expecting that part or product to work the same way as the originally designed item "unless" otherwise stated.

My gripe.. how many times has the "mgr were penny pinching before Longbridge closed" comment been made on this forum.. if mgr were going to the extent of removing the plastic seatbelt anchor bolt plastic covers.. not to mention rear anti roll bars etc.. then why didn't mg rover fit 82°c thermostats to accommodate a wider range of ambient temperatures for hotter climates? Must have been a reason! Seeing how when my other thermostat was "only" just reaching 82°c on my 7 mile drive home in -5°c temps and by only just I mean a couple of streets from home..

Do a Google search, the normal running temperature for most modern engines is between 90°c or more the designed thermostat opening temp for the kv6 is 88+/-2°c so why the change to a lower temp?

Kaiser - I appreciate your offers of reassurance and I am now taking the approach of "why worry". As said above.. - as you stated though Kaiser after 5km's your temperature reaches 95°c
. The newer thermostats don't! I can drive as I have done recently at 70mph for over 200 miles and still be sat at 82°c the entire time. With the heater off with outside temps above 20°c.

If the thermostats that are available today, do run at the lower temperature.. advertise it to the buying public and inform them of the change in running temp to prevent confusion amongst owners. Had I been informed when buying, that the running temp was lower, but also been given a brief offer of reassurance that it is not an issue
. I couldn't care less. Why should customers/owners purchase a part and then be worried that there's a potential issue and have to go through hoops to find it may not cause any problems.

As said above.. most vehicles run a minimum of 90°c.

My thoughts.. saic are making the parts (possibly in China) a hotter climate where the car effectively continued until 2016 where the climate is hotter. The 88°c stat wasn't working well so.. 82°c stat was used and this is all that is available for all kv6 engines now for cost savings..due to the decline in parts demand due to numbers falling away...
just my personal thoughts..

With regards to another thread offered by stocktake in regards to modifying the top hose and fitting an inline thermostat. (This is by no means a dig or anything negative aimed at anybody). I personally don't see this as a fix.. more a bodge because the originally designed part isn't made to the required specification. It isn't something I would be looking towards doing. (Can't we just have a thermostat that works as originally designed?)

If this was any other car current or not and a replacement thermostat was found to be opening earlier, resulting in lower running coolant temperature.. I'm sure the part would be returned as defective? Wouldn't it?

Apologies in advance if this causes anybody any Ill feeling. This isn't particularly an issue to cause I'll feeling.. it's just a thermostat when all is said and done. I appreciate others views and comments and take these on board.
I would like to stay on friendly terms with the people of this forum/club so I won't be commenting on the kv6 thermostats any further for fear of causing upset or ill feeling.

R

Last edited by biffa75; 25th July 2021 at 01:36..
biffa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2021, 22:39   #138
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

it makes one wonder if these 82 stats have been reprogrammed into the chinese ecu set up. as simon rightly says we do not know how these are mapped for sure at which and what temperatures cold fueling ceases. one question that has not been asked is what temperatures does closed loop come in ? once in closed loop then fueling is under the control of o2 sensors and will fuel adaptations accordingly within i believe + 20 or - 20 . once outside of these values the trims will not operate within boundries and hence will throw an engine malfunction light. this i dont think is happening so must be in spec. unless people are not reporting this. ...
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2021, 09:02   #139
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

According to my Technical Brochure (which is called a Kompendium here) the cut off temperature for the coolant sensor is 18 degs C, after which Lambda 1 takes over.

Some might question the fuss about 82 thermostats but not all of us live in temperate zones, minus 20 even 30 is not unknown here and votes for a 82 thermostat would be few.

I just want our suppliers to be honest: are their thermostats original spec or not? And ideally the temperature should be stamped or clearly visible on the item supplied.
Very few on here would knowing buy the Indian upper arms although they were supplied by Xpart and presumably approved - I feel Xpart are being dishonest passing off these thermostats as original spec ones. They are not.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2021, 21:08   #140
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

of course they are !! the wording is ambiguous in as much as "original spec "means or implies from saiac motors. xpart will supply what they can get thats all. you will see time and again original rover in aftermarket parts meaning the chinese manufactured parts. so its obvious they cannot be original. if you read back to a recent post on here by phil-t4 around the 7th of this month he has posted a reply from xpart about the stat opening values. they have been altered a long time ago before the chinese did their version. however from the blueprint he recd by email it does not say what temps they were altered to ! so all in all yes it is unfair to mislead people as to what you are actually buying. i agree entirely.
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote