Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd April 2019, 01:37   #1
Jay
This is my second home

Small....Far away

Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,194 Posts
Default What is the bhp and torque of a Rover 75 V8?

What is the bhp and torque of a Rover 75 V8 and are they able to be T4 rd to increase these figures?

Just wondered
Old 2nd April 2019, 09:53   #2
DeeJ
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
What is the bhp and torque of a Rover 75 V8 and are they able to be T4 rd to increase these figures?

Just wondered
256 bhp (260 PS/191 kW) of power at 5000 rpm, and maximum torque of 410 N·m (302 lb·ft/41.8 kgm) at 4000 rpm.

There is a guy called Manjit Saggu on Facebook has been working on releasing a bit more power, together with some Rover 75V8 and ZT260 owners on the Two-Sixties Forum. Larger throttle body, intake "smoothing", EGR mods etc. in the direction of 300, I hear.

Just a T4 won't help you much in that regard, but KMaps may be able to help, at a price (over £600?), but then stating only "+10%" on bhp. Probably at the wrong end of the rpm spectrum to help an auto Rover 75 V8 much anyway.

Real increases up to 400 or even 500 bhp and beyond, are in the realm of the superchargers. No one thinks that supercharging the auto Rover 75V8 is a good idea, or even a practical possibility as far as I know. Many include Dreadnought who converted many ZT 260's to over 400 bhp using the Kenne Bell supercharger, looked at it but finally discounted it. The very few MGR factory supercharged engines (and 1 car) made, were for manual MG's, not auto box Rovers, (Roush supercharged, mostly 385bhp). Production never got underway before the crash.

The DTM race modified cars were 520 bhp IIRC, and the land speed record ZT-T, normally aspirated, but with a very special engine, was 765bhp (for sale, if you would like the ultimate shopping car!).

David

Last edited by DeeJ; 2nd April 2019 at 18:46..
DeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2019, 16:34   #3
Jay
This is my second home

Small....Far away

Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJ View Post
256 bhp (260 PS/191 kW) of power at 5000 rpm, and maximum torque of 410 N·m (302 lb·ft/41.8 kgm) at 4000 rpm.

There is a guy called Manjit Saggu on Facebook has been working on releasing a bit more power, together with some Rover 75V8 and ZT260 owners on the Two-Sixties Forum. Larger throttle body, intake "smoothing", EGR mods etc. in the direction of 300, I hear.

Just a T4 won't help you much in that regard, but KMaps may be able to help, at a price (over £600?), but then stating only "+10%" on bhp. Probably at the wrong end of the rpm spectrum to help an auto Rover 75 V8 much anyway.

Real increases up to 400 or even 500 bhp and beyond, are in the realm of the superchargers. No one thinks that supercharging the auto Rover 75V8 is a good idea, or even a practical possibility as far as I know. Many include Dreadnought who converted many ZT 260's to over 400 bhp using the Kenny Bell supercharger, looked at it but finally discounted it. The very few MGR factory supercharged engines (and 1 car) made, were for manual MG's, not auto box Rovers, (Roush supercharged, mostly 385bhp). Production never got underway before the crash.

The DTM race modified cars were 520 bhp IIRC, and the land speed record ZT-T, normally aspirated, but with a very special engine, was 765bhp (for sale, if you would like the ultimate shopping car!).

David
Ta for that information David

Just checking against my car which has around 300bhp and 600Nm of torque. V8 HEMI's are more. I always fancied the V8 that J1MBO had in flip paint for sale a few years back

Last edited by Jay; 2nd April 2019 at 16:40..
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2019, 17:57   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Flying Banana's (Bob's) has a tad more than 260, along with a very nice Dreadnought supercharger.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2019, 18:31   #5
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Yeah, a Dreadnaught superchargeder (Kenne Bell) ups the bhp from 260 to 400 but they aren't doing any more so if you want more oomph out of a V8 you're struggling.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2019, 18:42   #6
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Flying Banana's (Bob's) has a tad more than 260, along with a very nice Dreadnought supercharger.
................. and for the right money I’ll sell her.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2019, 10:05   #7
RattyB
Regular poster

Rover 75

Quote:

Real increases up to 400 or even 500 bhp and beyond, are in the realm of the superchargers. No one thinks that supercharging the auto Rover 75V8 is a good idea, or even a practical possibility as far as I know. Many include Dreadnought who converted many ZT 260's to over 400 bhp using the Kenne Bell supercharger, looked at it but finally discounted it. The very few MGR factory supercharged engines (and 1 car) made, were for manual MG's, not auto box Rovers, (Roush supercharged, mostly 385bhp). Production never got underway before the crash.

David
Manjit is fairly certain he can SC my 75. I'm still undecided whether or not I want that, but my car is fitted with most of his modifications.
RattyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2019, 01:28   #8
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
................. and for the right money I’ll sell her.

I am assuming when you talk of the garage that did the work on the Banana it is the garage in Callander. I know they used to be Rover and TVR dealers back in the day. What was the Banana doing up in Callander. When I was custodian of the Beast a B series 75 tourer it had one of the Callander Garages conversions done to it. She was great for cruising down the Motorways over in Germany with the cruse control set at 150mph, and had grunt in reserve. If I recall correctly she was putting out close to 400bhp with the blower conversion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2019, 01:36   #9
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

Quote:

David

David was the estate that had the runs on the salt planes not a 7.2 Litre or is my old brain not working? Also do you know if MGs estate still hold the record? I seem to remember Audi trying to capture it at one time.
Can anybody shed light on what holds the record today and for how long MG held it for?

Old 22nd September 2019, 01:38   #10
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaslan View Post
I am assuming when you talk of the garage that did the work on the Banana it is the garage in Callander. I know they used to be Rover and TVR dealers back in the day. What was the Banana doing up in Callander. When I was custodian of the Beast a B series 75 tourer it had one of the Callander Garages conversions done to it. She was great for cruising down the Motorways over in Germany with the cruse control set at 150mph, and had grunt in reserve. If I recall correctly she was putting out close to 400bhp with the blower conversion.

I know I should not have called it a B series as it was a Mustang and not the B series engine that was in them.