Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th December 2011, 20:19   #1
Tickertyboo
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDT Saloon

Angry Front Springs

Just rolled 6" off the car park at work tonight and the front offside spring snapped about half way up and went through the tread of a new tyre. So that's two new front springs and a new tyre to fork out for. Lucky part of the business is a garage and that's where the car's stayed for the night, I took one of the work's vans home.

All the best from a well miffed Les.
Tickertyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 20:43   #2
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Thats terrible. Even more so through a new tyre. It's the one thing that I dread happening, i've read these tyre protectors are pretty useless.
You say rolled 6"....were you parked on a slope? It seems to be totally random when it occurs but always seems to be when setting off from being stationary position.

Where did it snap?
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 21:06   #3
cabbers
Retired

62-reg Suzuki SX4 SZ5 1.6i AWD / 07-reg Audi S3 2.0 T FSI Quattro

thats all you need at this time of the year, hope you can get it fixed soon mate
cabbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 06:28   #4
norfie
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8T saloon

[QUOTE=Canonite;873621] i've read these tyre protectors are pretty useless.
I spent a lot of time driving over kerbs and pot holes with cut springs developing those tyre protectors. I agree they do not catch everything but they do stop most. We changed the spring manufacturer in the end to cure this problem.
norfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 07:37   #5
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Spring protectors were fitted as a recall at some stage.They will catch the spring if it breaks at the bottom..Any further up the spring and it misses the cup.

pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 14:13   #6
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfie View Post
I spent a lot of time driving over kerbs and pot holes with cut springs developing those tyre protectors. I agree they do not catch everything but they do stop most. We changed the spring manufacturer in the end to cure this problem.
Please, don't take offence. I'm sure your work has helped save many tyres. I was merely saying that when I'd asked about them after raising concerns I was told they do not cure the problem, and springs can and still do pierce the tyre, as you explained.

What did you find to be the main factors in causing springs to break? As we know it's not just our cars that suffer with this, many other marques also have springs that snap randomly and seemingly unprovoked.
As I mentioned before, from what i've read on here they seem to break when setting off at slow speed.
Is it the springs that are weak or is there something else that puts strain on them that causes the failure?

As the ZT springs are different to the 75 springs, is it limited to just 75 ones or do ZT springs fail too?
I was thinking of getting lowering springs when mine need doing, as a way of not only avoiding OEM ones, but to make my car a bit more bespoke.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 14:53   #7
Mikejr
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer Auto Connie SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickertyboo View Post
Just rolled 6" off the car park at work tonight and the front offside spring snapped about half way up and went through the tread of a new tyre. So that's two new front springs and a new tyre to fork out for. Lucky part of the business is a garage and that's where the car's stayed for the night, I took one of the work's vans home.

All the best from a well miffed Les.
Definitely not Tickertyboo then Les,

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Mikejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 16:09   #8
norfie
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8T saloon

No offence taken, it's nearly impossible to design and test a product that would catch everything with the package constraints that we had.
I can not remember excatly when but the spring supplier changed mid/late 2002 so later cars should not suffer from the spring break problem as much. You can never eliminate spring breakage completely as it is a high stress component and a small stone chip will cause a stress point which will fail eventually.
As a quick visual look see, if your front springs are a matt black (powder coat) they are early supply and if the are a satin type finish and slightly smoother looking then they are the 2nd supplier.
norfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 18:44   #9
Tickertyboo
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDT Saloon

The spring snapped about half way up. The car was re-called some years ago and had new front springs fitted but when it came back I swear it was lower on the front than before, now that I've got it back it stands about 1" higher than it did. I wonder what springs they fitted on the re-call, would the ones off a petrol car fit and would they be as strong as the diesel springs?
Les.
Tickertyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 20:11   #10
mamasboy
RS South East

Ford fester... blah....

Bad new and possibly a blessing in disguise if that had happened whilst driving at speed it could have been nasty.