Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd May 2009, 20:02   #1
obiwan
Regular poster

MG ZT 260 Mk II SE

Default iPod Install in Highline 260 - Intravee II + Alpine KCA-420i setup

After finally deciding on which system to use (I won't go into details, other than to say the Intravee interface is designed specifically for BMW nav systems), I got all the bits together and today, finally got to installing. I took inspiration from the excellent How To by Reebs on this forum (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=31893), but I thought I'd put some of my pics up because the install in my 260 is slightly different. Also, I understand that most (all?) other 75s and ZTs have glovebox mounted CD changers, in contrast to the 260's boot mounted CDC.

Which leads me nicely on to the first thing I did (after removing the highline head unit and climate control unit), which was disconnect the CD changer extension loom. If you have read elsewhere on the forum, my tales of woe tracing the cause of my CD changer not working, you will know I learned of a hidden in-line fuse in the ZT 260 (thanks, Wyn / eurorover), which doesn't appear in any wiring diagrams or workshop manuals. I have since also learned that MG did not use different wiring looms for the (boot-mounted CDC) 260 - rather, they ran an extension loom from the CDC connector of the standard (glovebox mounted) 75/ZT loom. This then explains the mystery fuse, which presumably was necessitated by the extra length of CDC wiring now extending to the boot of the car. Anyway the good news is this means 260 owners can just unplug the extension from behind the head unit (just like glovebox mounted CDC ZTs), and have your iPod inside your car. In my car the CDC connector was cable tied to the vertical structural column on the right hand side, behind the head unit (which is presumably as it was when it left the factory):

Next, I fed the iPod cable (supplied with the Alpine KCA-420i) up from underneath the steering column and in behind the head unit, above where the CDC connector is, so the square plug which connects to the KCA-420i sat just to the right of the vertical column to which the CDC connector was previously cable tied. My install has the iPod sitting in the little shelf to the right of the steering wheel, so running the cable this way made sense:

After checking that everything would fit in once back together, I connected the components (iPod cable to KCA, Ai net cable from KCA to Intravee, Bus adapter cable from CDC connector to Intravee). As per Reebs' post, the Bus adapter cable was made up for me by Ultimate In Car (excellent service - http://www.ultimateincar.co.uk/contact.htm) for about £25, but (again, as noted on Reebs' post) I did have to swap over the black and white wires before doing this install.

I then attached some Bonding Solutions fastener (like plastic velcro, great stuff, see http://www.bondingsolutions.co.uk/index.html) to the KCA and to the inside of the console shroud, to mount the KCA:

Then attached the KCA:

(and with climate control unit re-installed - but without trim):

FYI, I installed the KCA with iPod outlet facing toward the front of the car. The iPod cable has a 'straight in' connector to the KCA, so you need the room available forward of the KCA (adjacent to the vertical column I described above). Conveniently, the Intravee (marked 'Ai Net' on the KCA) cable has a right angle connector at one end, which means you need less room on the other side of the KCA (the side closest to you as you are working). The right angle connector allows the cable to fit nicely in alongside where the climate control unit sits - I actually tucked it in behind the plastic edge of the switch module (which doesn't need to come out for this job) beneath the climate control unit.

Next I mounted the Intravee II, this time attaching the fastening tape to the plastic cross member underneath the white nav/radio unit (can't remember what that is):

Then mounted the Intravee II:

This leaves a perfect amount of room to re-install the head unit:

Then plug in the iPod:

And fire it up:

As per Reebs' post, I did have to change the UI (user interface) setting on the Intravee, so it knows which head unit it's connected to. Reebs did this by plugging his Intravee into his computer, downloading software etc. It is also easy to do in the car (instructions taken from the Intravee website forum):
First, select the Intravee as the source using the MODE key on your head unit. Next, with a gap of 1 second between key presses, do the following:
Turn the radio off
Turn the radio on
Press the Prev button < on the head unit
Press the Next button > on the head unit
Turn the radio off
Turn the radio on
You should have about 1 second between each button press, if it does not work then change your timing a bit and try again.
When in UI selection mode the track number will flash between 1 and the UI number. Sometimes the display will say CD Check, in which case turn the radio off and on again.
To change the UI use the < and > buttons, when done press the SCAN button (or the Clock button on Nav) to set the selection. On the Mini, Z4 and X3 you need to enter the 'Sel' menu and select the 'SCAN' option as these head units have no physical 'SCAN' key.
The Intravee should reboot, the new UI should be set.
Note: I had to enter the SELECT menu and select SCAN, as the highline has no SCAN button.

The sound quality and interface is excellent. As Reebs points out, the Alpine KCA-420i has a search limitation of 511 items (songs/playlists/artists etc) but for most users, this won't be an issue if your ID3 tags are kept tidy and you search by artist.

Another thing I should mention is, whilst the Alpine KCA-420i does charge the iPod, it will not charge a completely flat iPod. This is because the iPod needs to have enough signal to tell the KCA that it is there, before the KCA knows to start to charge it. To overcome this, I bought a car charger for my iPod off the 'bay for a couple of quid. If the iPod goes completely flat, I just charge it off the charger for a minute (to give it enough charge to run for a few seconds and therefore let the Intravee know it's there to commence charging) then plug it back into the stereo cable. I am using a 3G iPod Classic (40GB) which has a knackered battery (also bought off the 'bay, for £40) and leave it in the car, so this is relevant for me. If you are using an iPod with a better battery, and using it as your 'everyday' mp3 player, then it probably won't be an issue for you. However, my iPod has a poor battery and will be staying in the car (which really only gets used on weekends) so it will be going completely flat quite frequently.

Ben

Last edited by obiwan; 2nd May 2009 at 20:34..
obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 20:44   #2
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Ben that's an excellent post, I was wondering how you were getting on with your install.

The unidentified white box is the stereo's steering wheel control interface unit BTW, I didn't know that your CD changer was in the boot, is that how it is for all 260's with highline? (I envy you the glovebox space )

Good thinking to update the UI settings using the front panel controls instead, very handy when access to the intravee itself is more of a fiddle (having to remove the bordmonitor) in your case.

Regarding the battery charging issue, have you considered replacing the duff battery in your 3G for a new one? It's a doddle to do, and will solve your problem. I recently bought a replacement headphone socket for mine, and fitting it was very straight forward.

There are plenty of inexpensive batteries on fleabay at the mo

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/?_nkw=i...tery&_osacat=0

take your pick.

Very good illustrations too, I do think a picture says a thousand words.

Well done :lol:
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 21:53   #3
obiwan
Regular poster

MG ZT 260 Mk II SE

Thanks Reebs. I got messed around by a supplier waiting for stock of the KCA-420i, which held me up a few weeks.

Thanks for the tip re battery replacement. I fear if I do that my iRiver may become redundant! (Let's just say it was a BIG step for me to buy an iPod.....)

Ben
Old 2nd May 2009, 22:10   #4
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Thumbs up

An excellent how to Ben. You've persuaded me to do the same on my 75 V8.

Reebs the glove box in the V8's is a lot smaller than the standard one anyway due to the different layout for heater etc.

Cheers
Old 2nd May 2009, 22:19   #5
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Reebs the glove box in the V8's is a lot smaller than the standard one anyway due to the different layout for heater etc.

Cheers
Ah, that's why the CD Changer has to go in the boot then .......along with EVERYTHING else (Sat Nav/Car Battery/Spare Wheel - lying on top)
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 22:22   #6
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

On my Tourer the CD unit was mounted in the Left hand side in load area as standard they said, where the Bass Speaker goes if the HK system installed.

I had to move CD Changer when I after-fitted the Bass Unit into wheel well.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 22:25   #7
obiwan
Regular poster

MG ZT 260 Mk II SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Cheers
Excellent Mike.

The guys at Toys In Your Car are great, they delivered the Intravee next day. They also sell the KCA-420i, but I managed to find a shop in Scotland selling ex-demo stock for half the price (with same warranty):

http://www.soundmasterscotland.com/a...y_i013927.aspx

Again, excellent service and next day delivery. My 'demo' KCA was 100% mint (not even any wear on the mounting holes so I suspect it's never even been fitted to a car) and came with full warranty, all cables, manual etc. So worth saving £50!

Also, don't forget that you need to switch the white and black wires on the CDC adapter. This is very straightforward - just need to pop out the two retaining pieces on each side of the connector (these are moulded into the connector and 'hinge' out when released) then push down on the steel terminal clips to allow you to pull out the wire and pin, then swap them over. I found a safety pin useful for releasing both the clips and the pins.

Ben
Old 8th May 2009, 21:21   #8
obiwan
Regular poster

MG ZT 260 Mk II SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
Regarding the battery charging issue, have you considered replacing the duff battery in your 3G for a new one? It's a doddle to do, and will solve your problem. I recently bought a replacement headphone socket for mine, and fitting it was very straight forward.

There are plenty of inexpensive batteries on fleabay at the mo

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/?_nkw=i...tery&_osacat=0

take your pick.
Battery replaced! Thanks for the tip Reebs.

I used the ipod for my (brief) commute yesterday and I must admit, the iriver sounds much better through earphones. So my fears of iriver obsolescence were unfounded - I now have great players for both in car audio and my work commute!

But the battery replacement was, as you said, very straightforward.

Cheers
Ben

Last edited by obiwan; 8th May 2009 at 21:28..
Old 8th July 2009, 21:22   #9
Starman
Posted a thing or two

03 CDTi Tourer Conn SE auto

Hi Ben. A brilliant explanation you have done along with Paul on the Intravee.and a very neat install. I am just about to throw a Dension Gateway back to the supplier as its pants with our system.

As I am a tad slow this evening. For the UI change. Did you have to download the UI like Paul or is it built in already and its just a matter of following the key presses to select it??.

It sounds much easier!
And anything I find easy normally fubars

Many thanks
Old 11th July 2009, 18:29   #10
Departed
Retired

--

Right, I've started saving.

This is the one.

Been trying to decide which way to go. The car will get a CD changer until my pennies are saved.

In the meantime if anyone wants to sell this setup for much less than it's worth, let me know.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote