Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th July 2009, 16:22   #1
bad-head-day
Loves to post

Citroen C4 Loeb

Default Help Please (dropped a socket in the engine bay)

Please help with where to look for a spark plug socket dropped down the back of the engine (V6).

I had just tightened the middle spark plug at the back of the engine bay & somehow I dropped the spark plug socket. It hit a couple of things on the way down, then rolled forward & back before coming to rest. I've had a look in the undertray seeing as there's a fixing missing on the drivers side I could lie down & see most of the tray.

Is the next step to remove the drivers side front wheel & wheelarch liner to have a good look? I really did think it would be in the middle of the undertray but it's not.

I've moved the car & driven it off the drive & back on in the opposite orientation to see if the socket might roll out of a hiding place but it didn't.

What a nightmare

At least the pollen filter went in (smears more savlon on arms...)
bad-head-day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2009, 17:43   #2
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Don't worry about it, car engines eat tools. Just get another one for next time.
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2009, 18:20   #3
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad-head-day View Post
Is the next step to remove the drivers side front wheel & wheelarch liner to have a good look?
Yes, though with any look you'll just need to remove the wheel
hth
Old 11th July 2009, 18:34   #4
bad-head-day
Loves to post

Citroen C4 Loeb

Ok, thanks. I left it today because I was a bit fed up & it was supposed to rain 1/4" but it turns out I could have had another few hours looking for the socket & tomorrow will be a washout. Lying down in the rain & saying some fruity words - nasty sunday.
Old 11th July 2009, 18:40   #5
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

I think I'd rather take the undertray off than the wheel arch liner , having done both !!! THen you can get a good look up . This does of course assume you are able to raise the car safely ?
Old 11th July 2009, 18:50   #6
bad-head-day
Loves to post

Citroen C4 Loeb

The thing is Chris I already have one corner of the undertray detached & can bang it around a bit to see if anything moves & listen for the socket rolling around - but it doesn't. I wonder if there is anywhere else that things can land on, more heat shielding or something like that. I'll have a good go tomorrow as it's a great socket set & if I don't find the socket I'm bound to lose it on the drive to work Monday morning.

p.s. my socket set is the yamoto one that won this product test: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product...cket_sets.html
Old 11th July 2009, 21:01   #7
black olive
I really should get out more.......

260 SE vin 214 ( last mark 1 260 )

wheel, and bottom of the arch liner.

I was miffed a while ago when I discovered I had lost a rubber cover off the back of the inner headlight.

Ive been waxoyling black olive today, and removing the nearside wheelarch liner, there it was sat on the engine undertray
Old 12th July 2009, 10:36   #8
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

[QUOTE=bad-head-day;354419]. I wonder if there is anywhere else that things can land on, more heat shielding or something like that. QUOTE]

Yes , there is a jungle of places to catch a socket - exhaust manifolds , steering box, heat shields , transmission , wiring harnesses , hoses etc. That is why I am thinking with the undertray off you can look upwards and probably spot the little badger !
Old 12th July 2009, 14:55   #9
bad-head-day
Loves to post

Citroen C4 Loeb

Thanks for that Chris. I did get the one wheel of today & had a look in & waggled the magnetic pick-up tool in all the nooks I could see & a few crannies too. I had to call my dad who drove over with another socket set to finish the job off.

I think the socket's lost now and all I can think to do is drive round looking in the rear view mirror for shiny things bouncing out the back as I drive along I can get a replacement socket from here for £13 delivered: http://www.cromwell.co.uk/YMT5825670K which on the face of it is expensive but it will complete my set again which was a gift.

At least the spark plugs are in now (and the back ones are a bit fiddly) and the pollen filter was swapped too
Old 12th July 2009, 17:26   #10
Simon W
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.0 Litre Club Saloon

You might be looking in the wrong place.

I did exactly the same thing whilst changing the middle spark plug. The socket didn't go as far down as the engine tray - it was wedged in the pipes below the rear cylinder head.

I couldn't see it to start with but eventually spotted it by shining a powerful torch down between the bulkhead and the rear cylinder head (the torch caught a glint off the chrome). I just managed to grab it with a magnetic pickup lowered from the top of the engine.

Shine torch where red arrows are. If the pickup isn't long enough to reach, gaffer tape it to a stick to elongate.

Last edited by Simon W; 12th July 2009 at 17:34..
Simon W is offline   Reply With Quote