Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th July 2009, 07:24   #1
denis
Gets stuck in

2004 MG-ZT CDTi 135 Saloon in TROPHY YELLOW + Synergy Two-wow and an Aussy import RAV 4 2.4L

Question Saloon Boot Lid Opening

Pressing the button for opening the boot sometimes results in the solenoid oscillating or energising/de-energising a number of times quickly in succession (3 or 4) instead of just one thump, and sometimes it doesn't release first time.

I can only guess that the catch plate and striker are slightly misaligned. I tried adjusting the rubber bungs at each end of the lid which cushion onto the body to see if a slight change to the way the lid sits when shut might help but no improvement. New battery recently so no power problems. Anybody else seen this????
denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2009, 07:51   #2
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

it's not the striker plate or catch; you need to adjust the rubber stops either side of the inside face of the lid. Twist them both in a turn or so until the chattering stops.

hth
Old 4th July 2009, 14:14   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Twist them both in a turn or so until the chattering stops.
We macho men call it machine gunning.

Did ya hear sumthin'?
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2009, 21:32   #4
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis View Post
Pressing the button for opening the boot sometimes results in the solenoid oscillating or energising/de-energising a number of times quickly in succession (3 or 4) instead of just one thump, and sometimes it doesn't release first time.

I can only guess that the catch plate and striker are slightly misaligned. I tried adjusting the rubber bungs at each end of the lid which cushion onto the body to see if a slight change to the way the lid sits when shut might help but no improvement. New battery recently so no power problems. Anybody else seen this????
I would suggest turning the rubber stops out rather than in...to increase opening pressure and hence allow the boot to 'pop' more easily.
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2009, 00:21   #5
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

My boot lock did the same when using the cabin switch, if you use the remote (if enabled) and put a little upward pressure on the boot when operating the remote it never machine guns. proving Zebs' point of a little more pressure from the stops to pop the boot up a little, so the car will know the boot is open first time.
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 21:09   #6
denis
Gets stuck in

2004 MG-ZT CDTi 135 Saloon in TROPHY YELLOW + Synergy Two-wow and an Aussy import RAV 4 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
I would suggest turning the rubber stops out rather than in...to increase opening pressure and hence allow the boot to 'pop' more easily.
Good point Zeb I'll look at this as well as Devilishes suggestion. Incidentally I'd had the car a couple of months and found that occasionally the boot was open seemingly of its own accord. I then realised that holding the open button down on the key fob for an extended time did the job. You live and learn. That'll teach me to read the book!!!!
Old 7th July 2009, 21:10   #7
denis
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilish View Post
My boot lock did the same when using the cabin switch, if you use the remote (if enabled) and put a little upward pressure on the boot when operating the remote it never machine guns. proving Zebs' point of a little more pressure from the stops to pop the boot up a little, so the car will know the boot is open first time.
Thanks for both your suggestions. We learn something everyday on this site.
Old 9th July 2009, 00:50   #8
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis View Post
I'd had the car a couple of months and found that occasionally the boot was open seemingly of its own accord. I then realised that holding the open button down on the key fob for an extended time did the job. You live and learn. That'll teach me to read the book!!!!
Fancy doing a thing like that, what a numpty

Someone I know got out of the car twice to check all the doors, and sat wondering why the door warning light was still on (was not me of course)
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 22:05   #9
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilish View Post
Fancy doing a thing like that, what a numpty

Someone I know got out of the car twice to check all the doors, and sat wondering why the door warning light was still on (was not me of course)
are you sure?
Old 10th July 2009, 01:40   #10
Scribbler.
Gets stuck in

Rover 75. Saloon. Red. V6. 2.5.

:lol: Took my rubber stops a half turn OUT, (more pressure) and it now works fine, thanks Zeb and JamesUk sirs Mike.
Scribbler. is offline   Reply With Quote