Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th May 2009, 11:22   #11
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 British Racing Green. 81,000 miles and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
I've used these, and they are easy to use - HOWEVER, at various times, MGR used both standard and mini blade fuses in the passenger footwell fusebox, so please check which yours has - my 2002-reg cdt for instance has standard ones.
They are also very expensive for what they are.

Looking for: 7 seater
StevenWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 12:28   #12
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenWilliams View Post
They are also very expensive for what they are.
Steven, I don't know whether you've noticed, but I don't always completely agree with your posts, and vice-versa, but on this occasion, you are spot on!

They are not cheap, and actually, they're not that well made, either, I took the precaution of "fettling" both of mine, to tighten them up, before using them.

The next bit is not for the faint-hearted..................

Another, cheap, even free way of connecting, although not recommended on sophisticated electrics as on the 75, is to strip about 15mm of wire, remove the chosen fuse, fold the exposed wire over the end of the fuse blade, and refit.

Several reasons not to do this, of course - one fuse then covers additional circuits, it's easy to short something out, and very easy to use the wrong blade, so that the new circuit isn't protected by the fuse at all.

I have, however, to admit to using this method on previous cars...................
Old 18th May 2009, 12:33   #13
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
Steven, I don't know whether you've noticed, but I don't always completely agree with your posts, and vice-versa, but on this occasion, you are spot on!
The world is full of differences. Thats what makes is special.

I don't always agree with the wife but that's part of the fun.

Another way to do this is to take off the fusebox and wire in the lead into a vacant slot. That way it's professionally wired in. Surprisingly easy once the glove box is out so you can see what you are doing.

Old 18th May 2009, 22:13   #14
Simon W
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.0 Litre Club Saloon

Bearing in mind the cubby socket sits directly above the handbrake mechanism - has anyone found an easy way to route the power socket cables to a live feed and earth point, without taking carpets up and glove box apart? There is no torch loom on mine so I can't use that for a 12v feed.

Btw, the socket & harness kit probably came with fitting instructions - does anybody have a copy? (There are no instructions with the power socket on its own - p/n YXW100040).
Simon W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 03:52   #15
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

I have bought the exact same item, bit pricey yes, but not bad for a genuine part, and much better quality that the ones I saw with the plastic cap that my daughter would never put back on. Am fitting it to the back of the cubby box for her. I found a great adaptor from Game, it is a single cig lighter lead with 5 or 6 plugs for all game consoles. Am going to solder and sleeve the plug from her dvd player onto it, then no matter what she takes she will only need one lead that she can keep in her own little private compartment in the rear arm rest. Brilliant I think

I will have to adapt the cubby box insert but will probably wedge the wire under the bottm edge of the centre console to the dash somehow and try to piggy back it to the front socket that I never use because I charge my satnav and phones at work

You will notice that you fit the plastic surround, and then slide in the lighter socket, I hope the front one is fitted the same so I can just pull it out from the front, then probably find I cannot get hold of the wire, then take it t somewhere else

I have been trying to find an oak one the same as in the front, I would soon find a way to adapt the the pointless tiny storage hole facia cover to fit it there, but black will do

I have a 5 hole walnut switch panel I might cut down to two and fit it if I can get switches. I have bought an electric rear blind that I want to be operated from the rear cabinaso. Am going to make a panel for the rear ash tray openng, and cover it with oak veneer, and fit the power socket and switch for the rear blind. I am also buying my daughtert a 9" headrest dvd player, so I may put a power switch there for that too . I will try to cut the switch panel into two double ones and fit them on top of each other if there is room. Will probably end up removing the console but hey ho!

Last edited by Devilish; 19th May 2009 at 04:41..
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 08:01   #16
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon W View Post
Btw, the socket & harness kit probably came with fitting instructions - does anybody have a copy? (There are no instructions with the power socket on its own - p/n YXW100040).
Routing the cable from under glovebox is relatively simple and needs no major dismantling. I can send you a copy of the original fitting instructions - pm me an email address if you'd like them.

hth
Old 19th May 2009, 08:07   #17
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

I agree with Mike.

If you pull out the arm rest box (2 screws) and remove the handbrake gaiter you should easily be able to pull the wires most of the way to the glove box.. Drop the cable down the passenger side and feet it along the edge of the centre console. it will be and snug fit but is kept tidy and hidden. This is the route the OEM stuff takes.

Then just undo the 2 plastic screws under the glove box and pull down the panel. Now you should be able to reach any live cables you want to tap into with ease.

Old 19th May 2009, 12:54   #18
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Routing the cable from under glovebox is relatively simple and needs no major dismantling. I can send you a copy of the original fitting instructions - pm me an email address if you'd like them.

hth

Can I have a copy as well please! Alan:lol:
Roverowner is offline   Reply With Quote