Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 27th April 2009, 20:18   #11
Ragman
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE

All mirth aside - another blow to pig farmers in this country - media hype driving demand down etc
Old 27th April 2009, 20:23   #12
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Very true, the hype as you say will no doubt cause a few businesses to struggle if not go under through no fault of their own

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
Old 28th April 2009, 00:38   #13
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

It's already here. Here is the Governments' advice...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/DG_177769

WHO

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8021827.stm

Oh well, you either live or die....... Post-code lottery rules apply I suppose

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Old 28th April 2009, 02:46   #14
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 British Racing Green. 81,000 miles and counting

I suppose it's lucky that the government has been stockpiling the drugs that work on swine flu as it's the same one as Avian Flu.

Given this there is no reason for anyone in the UK to die from it as long as it's identified quick enough.

I was driving to Guildford earlier today and a broadcast came on the radio stating that if you are suffering from a flu like illness to call the NHS direct over the phone rather than going to a doctors surgery. they also asked that you stay one to reduce infections.

Looking for: 7 seater
Old 28th April 2009, 09:37   #15
eddybrown
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Club CDT & 73' MG Midget

Suspected in Manchester now

http://www.idemc.org/index.php?area=eu
Old 28th April 2009, 15:11   #16
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddybrown View Post
Suspected in Manchester now

http://www.idemc.org/index.php?area=eu
From the (professional) involvement I have I can say with certainty that the site linked to is inaccurate in the extreme
Old 28th April 2009, 15:16   #17
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Most Flights have now been Cancelled or Banned by Airlines from the UK to Mexico in case anyone has a Holiday booked.
Old 28th April 2009, 15:20   #18
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Default Israel and New Zealand latest countries hit by swine flu

Israel and New Zealand latest countries hit by swine flu

1 hour 7 mins ago
Catherine Bremer
  • The new strain of swine flu virus that has killed 149 people in Mexico spread to more countries on Tuesday, raising the spectre of a pandemic and hurting financial markets and airline stocks.
The World Health Organisation has raised its alert level to indicate a significantly increased risk of pandemic, or global outbreak of serious illness, but is not recommending travel restriction and border closures.
But the United States and the European Union advised their citizens to avoid non-essential travel to Mexico, and companies adopted travel restrictions for their staff in response to a potential flu pandemic, which would be the first in 40 years.
Global markets slumped for a second day on Tuesday on fears the flu outbreak could snuff out fragile signs of economic recovery.
The flu outbreak came at a bad time for airlines, whose shares continued to fall on fears that the drop in traffic could be at least as bad as that of the 2003 SARS crisis.
The virus is not caught from eating pig meat products but several countries, led by Russia and China, banned U.S. pork imports. The EU said it has no plans to restrict trade with Mexico because of the flu outbreak.
Health officials confirmed cases in New Zealand and Israel on Tuesday. No one has died outside Mexico but there were also confirmed cases in the United States, Canada, Britain and Spain.
Possible cases were reported in Australia, France, Germany, Sweden, Norway and South Korea.
New Zealand said three of 11 people in a school group that visited Mexico had tested positive and it expected the others would also turn out to be positive when tests were completed.
The Israeli carrier, a 26-year-old man, had also recently returned from Mexico.
A honeymooning Scottish couple who recently returned from Cancun, one of Mexico's biggest beach resorts, were the first people in Britain to test positive for swine flu.
One of the mysteries of the current outbreak is why all cases outside Mexico have so far been relatively mild.
The Geneva-based WHO said the flu was being spread by human-to-human transmission but it did not advise any travel restrictions or border closures.
STOCKS FALL
European and Asian stock markets retreated, with airline stocks taking another hit and drug makers posting gains. Investors cut their exposure to riskier currencies.
Oil dropped 2 percent, sinking below $50 a barrel.
"Markets are doing what they tend to do, taking fright," said Howard Wheeldon, strategist at BGC Partners in London. "But in my view, it's totally unnecessary."
Britain, France, Germany and the United States issued travel alerts for Mexico, which relies on tourism as a main source of foreign currency. Japan advised its citizens in Mexico to consider returning home soon.
U.K. travel firms Thomson Holidays and First Choice said they had decided to repatriate their customers from Mexico and to cancel flights bound for Cancun on Tuesday. British Airways said it would continue to operate its services.
China promised to disclose any cases promptly. State-run newspapers urged officials to be open and avoid the kind of cover-up that brought panic during the SARS epidemic in 2003.
Asian companies stepped up precautions, restricting travel and advising staff on how to protect themselves.
Experts say that while it is impossible to stop the spread of the disease, efforts to slow its progress could buy crucial time for countries to procure essential drugs.
The last flu pandemic, in 1968, killed about one million people around the world.
MEXICO HUNKERS DOWN
In Mexico, epicentre of the latest outbreak, people from company directors to couriers wore face masks while airlines checked passengers for flu symptoms.
"We will defeat this threat," Mexico City Mayor Marcelo Ebrard said as several hundred people suspected to be suffering from the flu were treated in hospitals and life in the normally hectic capital took on an eerie hush.
Mexico City shut restaurants, bars, cinemas, stadiums and some government offices to stop the infection from spreading.
Unsure how worried they should be, people stocked up on food, drinking water, rental movies and surgical masks. Some opted to work from home. Schools were closed until May 6.
Facing damage to tourism and trade -- motors of an economy that is already tipping into recession from the global downturn -- Mexico said it would not order a mass closure of businesses.
"Economic activity must continue," Labour Minister Javier Lozano told a news conference.
Worldwide, seasonal flu kills between 250,000 and 500,000 people in an average year. The new strain is worrying as it spreads rapidly between humans and there is no vaccine for it.
Most of the deaths have been people aged between 20 and 50, an ominous sign because a hallmark of past pandemics has been the high death rate among young adults.
Mexican media have speculated the flu may have originated at a pig farm in the southeastern state of Veracruz.
But Health Minister Jose Angel Cordova said the first case that alerted authorities to a possible rogue flu strain was in the southern state of Oaxaca. It was too early to identify the cause or geographical source of the virus.
Old 28th April 2009, 15:27   #19
ragitty
I really should get out more.......

Jeep Cherokee Orvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
With Raggy Botts Avatar, he must be the one at most risk
Cheeky blighter I am very proud of my new avatar, took me ages to get it just right
Old 28th April 2009, 22:51   #20
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
Most Flights have now been Cancelled or Banned by Airlines from the UK to Mexico in case anyone has a Holiday booked.
So according to Brown, he want ALL UK citizens to return home from "infected" areas forthwith..... DOH!! He want to bring back to the UK possibly infected people in planes that will recirculate air for some hours (infecting others), land, go through the airports (infecting others) and then home.... to infect all their friends and relatives who will call round to see if they are alright ???????????

Does this sound logical?

Ascension Island sounds like a good quarantine base, although the islanders might object.

But then the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few..........

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Closed Thread