Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd May 2020, 23:10   #1
grout20
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Auto

Default Powerfolds - when a set of new cogs isn't enough to get it to fold!

Hi all

If this thread title has triggered your interest, then you may already know that fitting a new set of cogs for the Mk1 Bullet Powerfold mirrors is normally enough to get them folding again.

And if you haven't already done so, you can/should read Rob's (Trebor) excellent How To on here showing how to fit the new cogs. Invaluable!

I was hoping to enlist Rob's help at a Nano meet but we all know what has scuppered those, so I finally plucked up courage to have a go during lockdown.

Rob also mentions the lid of the motor can wear slightly, and even with the new cogs fitted they might still not mesh and the mirror will not fold.

A solution to that worn-lid issue when Rob did the original How To, was another member (Bernard) who could manufacture a tiny shim to fit into the lid, but I understand that option is no longer available.

After getting a good set of cogs from Trebor (thanks again Rob!) to replace a rubbish set I had previously acquired myself, I discovered I had a worn lid too!

If you've stuck with me so far during this introduction ...Well Done!

The good news is there is another solution for a worn powerfold motor lid.

You can buy a new lid off of eBay! (I can hear your sharp intake of breath from here! ) but blow me down if it didn't solve the problem!

Just search for LAND ROVER FREELANDER SIDE MIRROR FOLDING MOTOR LID. I paid £14.95.

To be honest, having a one mirrored, pampered but unusable car sitting outside the house, I was more than willing to take the eBay risk!

I've attached a few photos and will mention a few things in case you have to go this route too...

Off at a tangent, don't you think the Rover 75 looks good without a door mirror? See photo of my off side for your consideration. Quite sleek looking without one, I say...
Sorry ... I digress.....

- The powerfold motor connects to the loom by two wires that pass through the lid of the motor. The two pin "plug" on the end of the wires is too flippin' big to go through the hole in the lid and I found it impossible to remove the plug, so I had to cut the wires to remove old lid and to fit the new one.

- In the pictures you will see I used electrical connectors to initially test the new motor lid / cogs worked ok, and then inserted an extra 2 inches of flex when soldering and shrink wrapping the final joins in the wires. It's a real fiddly job refitting it all back together and the extra wires helped.

- On initial rebuild and testing of the motor I found it had "locked up". I loosened the four lid retaining screws a tad (technical term) and the motor worked fine. Not sure if I had perhaps over tightened, or I hadn't got the cogs/lid seated properly initially. Dunno.

- I believe this fix only applies to the motor in the Mk1 Bullet powerfolds, not the later type.

My pictures will hopefully show/ explain this better than my rambling post, but if you've got this far, very Well Done! ... you've obviously got some spare time on your hands!

During my panic phase when I was staring at a pile of scattered, unusable parts waiting for the new lid to arrive, I also bought two untested Powerfolds which I will now check, test and rebuild if need be "just in case" .... but in a much more relaxed frame of mind this time round!

Hope this helps someone else. Stay safe everyone.

Kind regards
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motor lid orig vs new.jpg (138.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Motor lid top_new.jpg (128.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Test mode powerfold motor.jpg (138.3 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Motor lid cogs to new.jpg (137.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Rebuilt powerfold motor.jpg (140.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Y534 no door mirror.jpg (142.1 KB, 59 views)

My 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto 75 is the
• 20,516th 75 to be made out of 112,381
• 787th 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,671
• 1,248th Wedgwood Blue Metallic (code: JBH) to be made out of 7,515 code JBH 75's
grout20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2020, 07:49   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I have a Facelift but I'm sure those with pre Facelift will appreciate the heads up.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2020, 09:09   #3
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

Well done John that is a nice addition to the solution of the worn lid, Bernard no longer has a lathe which is why the shims are not available but a new lid is more likely to be a better solution in the long term, and previously the only way to get a new lid was to somehow get hold of a new motor, or risk a used one which may not be any better.

I have just ordered one of the lids as my passenger side mirror needs some attention, with your permission I will ask a mod to add your post onto the end of my how to.

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2020, 16:13   #4
grout20
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post

I have just ordered one of the lids as my passenger side mirror needs some attention, with your permission I will ask a mod to add your post onto the end of my how to.

Hi Rob

Yes, no problem, of course yes you can add to your How to.

Good luck with your new lid .... I bet you replace yours quicker than I took!

Hope to catch up with you at a future Nano Meet, and that they become part of the "new normal" that keeps getting mentioned, eventually!

Take care

John

My 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto 75 is the
• 20,516th 75 to be made out of 112,381
• 787th 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,671
• 1,248th Wedgwood Blue Metallic (code: JBH) to be made out of 7,515 code JBH 75's
grout20 is offline   Reply With Quote