Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd January 2020, 20:38   #11
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I have that too. I recall them series saying about the Germans going into a village, separating men from woman and children and murdering them all, men, woman and children. I think the village was destroyed and was never rebuilt.
I found the killing very upsetting. Some murders I can understand but hatred to murder like that, I cannot understand.

macafee2
The village of Lidice was a village that suffered that fate, a reprisal from the German Occupiers of the Czech Republic for the assassination of Rienhard Heidrich in Prague. Their intention was to wipe Lidice from all maps, for all time. They failed.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2020, 20:43   #12
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

I'm quite sure the annual Cenotaph remembrance service for those who fell in all wars will always take place. Never to be forgotten.
On a lighter note, the North Yorks Moors Railway has a "40's" weekend every year. It's a fabulous event, everyone dressing on the era, soldiers, sailors, airmen, adults , children, and live bands etc etc. It's a marvellous tribute.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2020, 20:52   #13
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoroRover View Post
I'm quite sure the annual Cenotaph remembrance service for those who fell in all wars will always take place. Never to be forgotten.
On a lighter note, the North Yorks Moors Railway has a "40's" weekend every year. It's a fabulous event, everyone dressing on the era, soldiers, sailors, airmen, adults , children, and live bands etc etc. It's a marvellous tribute.
Something similar happens a Beamish open air museum too, brilliant stuff.

I took the girls to Ypres six years ago, and drove the wife's 75 through the Menin Gate.

The entire town of Ypres was levelled during WW1, however after the war was over, the town was rebuilt to reflect how it was prior to the war, it was eerie to think the "Gothic" and "medieval" parts were less than 100 years old at the time of our visit.

It is an awe inspiring place, and a living and breathing memorial to all of the fallen, and I'm very glad I've visited.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2020, 21:15   #14
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

As Andy said, as a teenager it wasn’t something I thought about. As I got older I learned more about what happened during WW2. When my daughter did A level history a few years ago they covered WW2 from the German side covering the rise of Hitler to Chancellor and beyond. I remember learning about the night of the long knives with her as she did her revision. At 21 with an interest in history her knowledge of WW2 is quite staggering.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle

Last edited by sworks; 3rd January 2020 at 21:22.. Reason: Spelling
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2020, 22:29   #15
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Good hands..

As somebody who had both grandfathers (and their brothers and brother in law) fight throughout all of WW2 I kind of grew up with some of the stories of their war. My grandfather in the RAF, much of the war in India, and my maternal grandfather served with the Seaforth Highlanders in many theatres. My Gran's brother was killed in Madagascar. One of my Grandfather's brothers was captured at Dunkirk and spent more or less the whole war in captivity despite escaping twice. They all experienced some horrific things that those of us who fortunately have not experienced war cannot really understand.

All the Primary schools that I have worked in during the last 20 years plus teach about the War and do it well. The kids all seem interested and learn at least some of what went on and the sacrifices that were made by all who went through it both at home and overseas. I think they probably get it more in depth than I did when at Primary. It is good to know they are not forgotten.

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2020, 02:21   #16
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Question

Those wars took many millions of lives and they bankrupted a once great Nation and the Commonwealth of Nations suffered too. Were they worth it I wonder given what came from them ... hmm? A toffs war followed by another which resulted in the annexation of a country which war was supposed to redress.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2020, 08:51   #17
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

"a Toff's war"?
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2020, 09:22   #18
grout20
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolman pete View Post
The village is Oradour sur Glane and whilst travelling through France near to Limoge we stopped and put the destination into the sat nav. We thought that as it was near we should go out of respect as I also remembered it from the World at War ( I was scared of the opening titles with the burning pictures as a youngster !)

The walk to the main street was a shock with the tram line and overhead cables still in place and as we walked past the damaged shops and houses, cars were still in garages and the main square. The Church looked in good condition but once inside the reality was the bullet holes in the wall after the poor people were shot.

At this point my wife was in tears and we decided to leave passing many upset people as we left.

The reality of the day the horror happened was that they targeted the wrong Oradour as a supposed village that the resistance came from !

We visited there a few years ago. For those of you with a motorhome there is an overnight parking aire nearby.

Walking around the village certainly makes you stop and think.

One thing we noticed at the time, we didn't see any birds in the village while we were there. May have been a coincidence but a bit spooky.

John

My 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto 75 is the
• 20,516th 75 to be made out of 112,381
• 787th 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,671
• 1,248th Wedgwood Blue Metallic (code: JBH) to be made out of 7,515 code JBH 75's
grout20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2020, 13:36   #19
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
Those wars took many millions of lives and they bankrupted a once great Nation and the Commonwealth of Nations suffered too. Were they worth it I wonder given what came from them ... hmm? A toffs war followed by another which resulted in the annexation of a country which war was supposed to redress.
Well, was it worth it? It had to be done. My Grandfather sat me down one day when I was in late Primary and told me a few things about his war and the rest of his family too. He was at one of the Concentration camps and said they all then knew exactly what they were fighting for. Horrific. He remembered the smell, the silence and lack of wildlife. The sheer horror of what they saw.

As for Poland, at face value we let them down badly but thinking about it we have to consider if we were in a position to do anything about it? We had been at war for 6 years, were virtually bankrupt and there was absolutely no way we were in a position to fight the Soviets. It would have been a battle we could not win. Sometimes deals have to be done despite knowing what you are doing is not right. It was, however bad it was, necessary at the time.

In times of war nothing is simple.

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2020, 14:20   #20
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

There are, unfortunately, poignant parallels with earlier conflicts happening today (Archduke Ferdinand anyone?).

With the stunning murder of a Syrian leader from a drone by aggressive operations of opposition forces there is now the distinct possibility of a widening theatre that will draw other countries into 'loyalty' and common interest collusion. Can only hope sense prevails but the sides seem intransigent. Modern leaders seem ignorant of historic consequences now conflict can be conducted from afar. Can only hope leaders either change tactics or hierarchies do it for them.