Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th April 2018, 14:23   #1
spongeh
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+ 180 Sport Auto

Default My new non running diesel

Today I've been out and picked up a non running 75 Connoisseur SE CDTi in Copperleaf, which is one of my favorite colours.

Me & Jack (step son) set off just before 9am to pick up the trailer, before taking a quiet drive to pick up the car from just outside Coventry. I'd previously been to see the car and had spoken to the car owner and the garage owner to get their ideas as to why the car wouldn't start. While they both had different ideas as to the problem it didn't look like it was going to be an easy fix.

30 minutes after getting there we'd sorted out the paperwork and after much hand winding we'd winched the broken 75 onto the trailer.

Here she is looking very sorry for herself on the back of the trailer.

After getting the car home the first job was to change the battery to a fully charged one so we had some electrics to work with, luckily for me I had a spare Bosch S3 we kept from an old 75 we'd broken a couple of years ago. I then checked the plenums to see if they'd been flooded, but all looked good.

After putting the battery on, I gave the engine a quick check over, I could hear the pumps working, it would turn over and you could feel that it was trying to catch on maybe 1 cylinder.

I decided at this point to try hooking it up to TOAF to see if I could get any error codes out of the ECU, now the garage owner had told me that he'd been unable to get his system to talk to the ECU, so I wasn't expecting much. Amazingly I got connected to the ECU on the first attempt, so cleared the error codes to get a clean system and tried starting the car again. This time it threw 2 error codes, 1 for the glow plugs which is not a problem as such and the 2nd was '1e25 - Monitoring Speed (rpm) sensor' or what we'd normally call the cam position sensor. Luckily for me again I had a spare in the garage that I fitted to the car and after a bit of labouring BOOM the engine started

Car started

With the car now starting it's obvious that there is something else wrong as it's currently smoking and lacking in power. I'll now need me to fully check the car over, but as it's starting it makes it a little easier to move around and get in and out of the garage.

As I'd got it running quicker than I expected, I gave it a quick wash and little demon shine so I could see what sort of condition the bodywork was in.

Wow I love this colour and even the wife has been out, taken one look at it and gone 'ooo I like that, now get rid of the silver one'.... so I even have spouse approval

Tulips
spongeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2018, 14:31   #2
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

nice work...
A fresh fuel filter filled with injector cleaner to start with may help, unplugging the MAF to run on default map may tell you whats up...
Old 28th April 2018, 14:38   #3
spongeh
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+ 180 Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
nice work...
A fresh fuel filter filled with injector cleaner to start with may help, unplugging the MAF to run on default map may tell you whats up...
Cheers for that, I've never tried the injector cleaner in the fuel filter, but I've heard good things so I'll give it a go.

I'm also thinking there is at least one injector with excessive leak back, the PCV is blocked (pressure out of the dip stick) and the intercooler o-rings will need checking.
spongeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2018, 16:01   #4
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongeh View Post
Cheers for that, I've never tried the injector cleaner in the fuel filter, but I've heard good things so I'll give it a go.

I'm also thinking there is at least one injector with excessive leak back, the PCV is blocked (pressure out of the dip stick) and the intercooler o-rings will need checking.
Fill it up, run for 60 seconds then leave over night... boot it in the morning to blow the NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- out...
Old 28th April 2018, 16:10   #5
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

Great to see you putting some life back into this old girl
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2018, 16:41   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
Fill it up, run for 60 seconds then leave over night... boot it in the morning to blow the NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- out...
you or someone else told me to drive it like I'd stolen it

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 02:07   #7
Hantsdave
Loves to post

2004 CDTi SE TOURER

It's amazing how some people ditch these cars for what in effect is something quite trivial. Having been let down by the dreaded cam sensor before I now keep a new spare in the boot. I too love the colour, much more than silver, I agree with your missus.
Previously owned..Austin Mini Countryman, Austin 1100 VDP, Princess 2200HL (x2), Ambassador VDP, TR7, Triumph Stag, Rover 820, Rover 216 GSi, Rover 420D, Rover 600 Si, Rover 600 GSi, Montego GSi, Rover 216 cabriolet, Jaguar XJ6 Gold, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Tourer CDTi (x3), Rover 75 CDT x 2, Rover 75 Connie V6, Rover 45. Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 x 2, Jeep Chrokee KK Plus a few other foreign ones I'm too embarrassed to mention..
Hantsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 21:46   #8
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

As another Mk1 Copperleaf diesel owner - well done - these engines are so tough, there won't be much wrong with it fundamentally, and I'm sure you will soon have it running sweetly. The body and paintwork looks really tidy, and as you show, very rewarding to clean and polish. I look forward to hearing more about its revival!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 22:50   #9
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

Lovely. Copperleaf Red is one of the best 75 colours. Even more so with Sandstone leather interior.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 07:19   #10
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Hi,

I was looking at this one as well.

Really pleased she's come into the Club and is on her way back to full health.

All the best & Good Luck.

Andy.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is online now   Reply With Quote