Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th March 2012, 18:32   #1
Gunby

Rover75 saloon

Default Maf problem rover 75 cdt

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum and looking for some help. Basically I was having the usual problem with maf working incorrectly e.g. Non existent power below 2500rpm. I thought I diagnosed problem correctly by removing plug to maf sensor and the car went like a rocket, replaced plug slow again. So I ventured off to local motor factors brought new maf sensor and installed it I've only noticed a marginal improvement much less then I expected. I've even been toying with the Idea that I may have put the maf sensor in the wrong way round I.e 180 the wrong way when viewed from above if anyone could let me know which way the maf sensor should go in ( I currently have it so the wires on the probe are facing towards the air filter.) or if there's anything I may of overlooked I'd appreciate the help
Gunby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 18:35   #2
sonicbreaks
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T + CDTi Copperleaf Red

If you remove the sensor there is an arrow showing direction of air flow.
The arrow needs to point away from your air filter.
Old 16th March 2012, 19:01   #3
Gunby

Rover75 saloon

Thanks Andy i'll check that first thing tomorrow. Out of interest what product did you use to clean your maf sensor cheers karl
Old 16th March 2012, 19:29   #4
sonicbreaks
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunby View Post
Thanks Andy i'll check that first thing tomorrow. Out of interest what product did you use to clean your maf sensor cheers karl
I used some stuff we have at work so not sure if it's available else where. I work in food manufacture so all our stuff is food safe.
It was an tin of solvent degreaser and then i used compressed air to blow all the degreaser away.
Be very careful not to blow into it too hard though as you can damage the thin wire inside.
I've heard people say they have used a tin of carb cleaner. Probably very similar to my degreaser.
When you say you had the usual signs of faulty MAF, does it rev freely when stationary or is there a hesitation. Thats what mine was doing. There was also a big difference when my turbo kicked in. Since I cleaned the sensor I get a much smoother acceleration and not a massive surge when I hit 2000rpm.
Incidently there is a thread in the how to section to do with cleaning your MAF. It shows where you need to spray the cleaner.
Old 16th March 2012, 19:32   #5
sonicbreaks
Avid contributor

Here's the link to the How To http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ead.php?t=2207
Old 16th March 2012, 19:37   #6
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum and looking for some help. Basically I was having the usual problem with maf working incorrectly e.g. Non existent power below 2500rpm. I thought I diagnosed problem correctly by removing plug to maf sensor and the car went like a rocket, replaced plug slow again. So I ventured off to local motor factors brought new maf sensor and installed it I've only noticed a marginal improvement much less then I expected. I've even been toying with the Idea that I may have put the maf sensor in the wrong way round I.e 180 the wrong way when viewed from above if anyone could let me know which way the maf sensor should go in ( I currently have it so the wires on the probe are facing towards the air filter.) or if there's anything I may of overlooked I'd appreciate the help
Some MAFs are poor quality copies , the best MAF is a BOSCH which was the one the car came out of the factory with .

The copies are very convincing but usually either make little difference OR dont last very long .
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 19:59   #7
Gunby

Rover75 saloon

To player from what I've read elsewhere rover rons site I believe the Bosch maf sensor is an inferior product and that the pierburg sensor is much better but I must confess I'm no expert if anyone has any experience of different brand sensors I'd like to know your opinions. To Andy I brought a solvent based electrical contact cleaner earlier today that I'm going to try tomorrow so that guide will come in handy thanks karl
Old 16th March 2012, 20:08   #8
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

and to add to this when i changed my maf last week for a genuine bosch one i found it will only fit in the housing one way turn it round and the holes do not line up well they did not on mine.and as for the housing that only fits one way as well.and to finish off i only changed the sensor and not the housing as well did not see the point unless some one knows diffrently.the peirburg maf b.t.w will not work unless you have the rover ron box fitted
Old 16th March 2012, 21:04   #9
blacknwhite
Posted a thing or two

Black Rover 75 Connie CDT and Twilight Chromactive ZT Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk boy View Post
and to add to this when i changed my maf last week for a genuine bosch one i found it will only fit in the housing one way turn it round and the holes do not line up well they did not on mine.and as for the housing that only fits one way as well.and to finish off i only changed the sensor and not the housing as well did not see the point unless some one knows diffrently.the peirburg maf b.t.w will not work unless you have the rover ron box fitted
Yes the MAF only goes in one way. You can't get it wrong.
blacknwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 21:07   #10
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Quote:
To player from what I've read elsewhere rover rons site I believe the Bosch maf sensor is an inferior product and that the pierburg sensor is much better but I must confess I'm no expert if anyone has any experience of different brand sensors I'd like to know your opinions. To Andy I brought a solvent based electrical contact cleaner earlier today that I'm going to try tomorrow so that guide will come in handy thanks karl

Ron will tell you the best results in terms of power and economy is by using the original part number Bosch maf, there has been problems with it's reliability in the past but I know of many cars that have not suffered maf problems at all.

I see many cars with spurious non Bosch maf's fitted, I'd like to be able to say that they're OK but I can't, even the Pierburg is a compromise it's not made for our cars IIRC it's from a Merc. van and won't work without a Mafam to get it anywhere near being able to be used on our cars

The maf controls the fuelling by matching the airflow to give the right amount of fuel/air mix for the engine load, fitting the wrong maf and it won't match, all it will cost you is fuel, power or both

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote