Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th May 2019, 17:06   #1
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Doors unlocking

Hello guys, 2 doors (passenger and rear left) are only unlocking when pressing the unlock button the second time, not the first, for the rear left door I've had this problem since I bought the car about 4 years ago and I could live with it, but for about 1 month the passenger door started to do this also sometimes, and for about 2 weeks both are doing this always, unlocking only on the second click, and also, when they do unlock, the *tac-tac* sound of the locks seem just sliiightly not so healthy to say so, it takes a bit of a second longer than the sound of the other 2 doors locks, it seems like they are kind of tired haha Anyone knows how to fix this with not much of a struggle? Would be appreciated. Thank you!
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2019, 17:47   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Unless your car has been “doctored” it’s pretty standard that only the driver’s door opens on the first click.

I changed the dealer options on my old V6 to one click opening using Toaf, not entirely successful as one of the rear doors required an additional click, tired I guess, but I put up with it as getting good s/h units here costs a lot.

One click on my new V6 does however open all doors.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2019, 18:04   #3
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

I also used Toaf to change to one click unlocking, worked for all the doors excluding the rear left door because as I've said that door was only unlocking on 2nd click since I bought the car, but now passenger door also only on 2nd click, maybe the latch mechanism needs a cleaning or a greasing?
Old 8th May 2019, 18:41   #4
markypicks
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon cdt club se re map 160 bhp

agree with vitesse the 1st press opens only the drivers door and the 2nd press opens the other doors rgds mark
markypicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2019, 19:20   #5
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnail View Post
I also used Toaf to change to one click unlocking, worked for all the doors excluding the rear left door because as I've said that door was only unlocking on 2nd click since I bought the car, but now passenger door also only on 2nd click, maybe the latch mechanism needs a cleaning or a greasing?
Much the same as my first car then, and yes by all means try some grease and make sure there's no resistance to the black top pop-up buttons. And if that doesn't help then it might be time to get better s/h ones from a trustful supplier.

Good luck
Old 8th May 2019, 19:21   #6
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Then why does my rear right door open also at first click? As I said, I changed this feature with Toaf to get all doors opened with one click, the rear left was opening at 2nd from day 1 since owning the car even with the toaf setting changed, and now suddenly without changing anything with toaf, the passenger door does the same, opening at 2nd click...

EDIT: And where exactly should the grease be applied? Also, the black pop-up buttons used to manually lock the doors are took down, I didn't need them so decided to remove them looong ago haha
Old 8th May 2019, 19:50   #7
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

The door lock motors get tired, happened to your car and to mine, initially all my doors opened on one click, then as time went on one of the rear doors required two clicks.

My new V6 works perfectly on all four doors, but I am aware that it's only a matter of time before at least one of them plays up and will then require an additional click.

Grease everything you can, connecting rods, anything that could cause the weakened motor more work, or replace if you can get a good s/h set.

Regards
Old 8th May 2019, 20:23   #8
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

There are two settings for door unlocking.

A. Single click opens all doors
B. 1st click opens drivers door only 2nd click opens remaining doors.

If your car is set up for all doors to open on 1st click and some only open on 2nd then it is sign of the unlock motor failing within the lock, similarly if it is set up to open drivers door on first and it takes 2 clicks to open drivers door and 3 to open the rest no amount of greasing will solve the problem for long.
Whilst these motors can be stripped and cleaned or the brushes replaced ( they are the same motor as used in vis motors) actually getting into the lock mechanism is the worst job ever and whilst i have successfully achieved this on one out of four attempts it is not something i would ever advise or try myself again unless absolutely no other option was available.
Only practical solution is to replace the door lock mechanism

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 9th May 2019 at 15:20..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2019, 07:44   #9
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Rover 75 Saloon V6 2.5 1999 - Rover 25 1.4 2002 - Rover 214i cab 1994 - Rover P5b coupe 1968

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Much the same as my first car then, and yes by all means try some grease and make sure there's no resistance to the black top pop-up buttons. And if that doesn't help then it might be time to get better s/h ones from a trustful supplier.
Good luck
My pride & joy looks provided with a very special device called the lazy lock...

First impulse opens the driver's door as expected, and the second both rear doors but the passenger's which unlocks only at the third impulse.
Astute, isn't it? And it never failed to open so far.

In fact there may be a slight resistance in the door (or pop-up button?) because it seldom opens at the second impulse and I noticed it succeeded when cold outside. Weather being warm or hot, never.
Despite having been greased by my clever mechanic when taking off the card & putting the locking system right a few months ago, nothing has changed.

I gave up so much so that it gives to my pride & joy a flavour of exception...
  • This vehicle was the 2,032nd 75 in Atlantic Blue Pearlescent (code: JEY) to be made out of 2,572 Atlantic Blue Pearlescent 75s
Dorchester2 is offline   Reply With Quote