Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th May 2019, 07:23   #11
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

check the easy things first such as a duff spark plug
Old 4th May 2019, 07:43   #12
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
I am left with an unsteady tickover , and sounds like a misfire , although it runs well once I move off and pick up the revs .
Hi Chris,

I had these symptoms on my KV6 a couple of months ago. I found carbon deposits on a LH bank sparking plug connector. After cleaning the fault cleared, but I wondered what was causing this.

Weeks later it returned with a vengeance. Intermittently, the engine would run lumpily for an entire journey then, when it was next started, smooth running would be restored. Next it worsened to the extent that eventually the engine wouldn't start.

The answer was a failed ignition coil on no. 5.
Quote:
... misfire on cylinder 2 .
If you trust your diagnostic tool then maybe check that no. 2's coil connector is pushed fully home onto the plug, as you've been working in this area (I know, easier said than done! ). Having said that, I had the assistance of T4 which wasn't exactly ideal. It initially correctly identified no. 5 as misfiring but when we selected further detail it started referring to no. 2. .
There was no problem with no. 2 on my car.

Bu the way, during fault finding, my OEM plug lead connectors on the LH bank broke into fragments. This wasn't unexpected since they are 30 years old. The genuine Bremi replacements are an improved design (and recommended if you have this early arrangement) but the new set didn't make any difference to the fault condition.

Simon
Old 4th May 2019, 14:56   #13
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Update on the flat battery part of my problems …..
charged it up overnight , refitted and the car fired up straightaway . I switched it off after allowing it to warm up , then maybe 5 mins later went to restart it , and it was flat again , wouldn't start .
I have tried to measure the drain with everything switched off , using the method here https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=167111 ,
multimeter between the fusebox terminal and the positive on the battery, and get an initial fluctuating reading between 0.5A and 0.8A which after some 20 seconds drops to 0.29A .
When I can start the car again I will check the alternator output voltage
The battery had never given any bother prior to my doing this recent work on the engine , but it is some 9 years old . Could it just have had enough and needs replacing ?
Old 4th May 2019, 15:57   #14
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Yes, it most likely just has had enough.
If you had a load tester, you would be able to verify this.
You can have a battery that will show 12V plus on an multi tester, but as soon as you put a load on it, that figure drops. Where it drops to tells you if faulty or not.
I bet 95% your battery has had it.
Old 4th May 2019, 20:19   #15
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Why would I be concerned about a strange noise following major engine work?

I think you have answered your own question by posting the question on here. If it was not concerning you then you wouldn’t have put up a post.

Any odd noise should be investigated, if you convince yourself that all will be well without checking, then it may come back to bite you in the bum.
Old 4th May 2019, 21:26   #16
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
Yes, it most likely just has had enough.
If you had a load tester, you would be able to verify this.
You can have a battery that will show 12V plus on an multi tester, but as soon as you put a load on it, that figure drops. Where it drops to tells you if faulty or not.
I bet 95% your battery has had it.
I'm with Kaiser. Your battery is DED.---

And low voltage will make your car do all sorts of funny things.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2019, 05:30   #17
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Why would I be concerned about a strange noise following major engine work?

I think you have answered your own question by posting the question on here. If it was not concerning you then you wouldn’t have put up a post.

Any odd noise should be investigated, if you convince yourself that all will be well without checking, then it may come back to bite you in the bum.
You are not really saying anything here. You said you would be worried, which to me, at least, would indicate you would be able to substantiate your thinking with a bit of intelligent input. This is waffle.
My gardener can give this type of advice.
Old 5th May 2019, 07:50   #18
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
charged it up overnight , refitted and the car fired up straightaway . I switched it off after allowing it to warm up , then maybe 5 mins later went to restart it , and it was flat again , wouldn't start .
I have tried to measure the drain with everything switched off , using the method here https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=167111 ,
multimeter between the fusebox terminal and the positive on the battery, and get an initial fluctuating reading between 0.5A and 0.8A which after some 20 seconds drops to 0.29A .
The battery had never given any bother prior to my doing this recent work on the engine , but it is some 9 years old . Could it just have had enough and needs replacing ?
The method shown in the link does say that it wouldn't check the starter and of alternator. There is a strong possibility there is a discharge through your alternator given the no charge light you experienced.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2019, 10:05   #19
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Why would I be concerned about a strange noise following major engine work? ……..Any odd noise should be investigated, if you convince yourself that all will be well without checking, then it may come back to bite you in the bum.
I certainly won't disagree with that , Trikey , but as said the tappet noise has gone now . I half expected the noise on startup whilst the followers were refilling with oil , and understand that it is common after a refit
Old 5th May 2019, 10:05   #20
milford man
Gets stuck in

Jaguar XE Prestige

Quote:
If the battery was fully charged and in good condition it would have to be a massive load on it to drain it in 5 minutes. Get a new battery after nine years it owes you nothing.

Regards John
milford man is offline   Reply With Quote