Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th March 2019, 15:30   #1
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Default Help.... Big trouble

I'm sick to the bottom of my stomach.

As I've mentioned on a few occasions I don't really do anything to my car as not being really car mechanically minded everything more than a polish or a wipe always goes hopelessly wrong. but this time I think that I've really wrecked things.

I decided to buy a lidl oil pump remover as was the subject of a debate on here recently.

Got the filter and new oil and today thought that I'd have a go at changing the oil myself for the first ever time.

All went well and it pumped out just over 6 litres quite happily.

And then .... on removing the smaller pipe down the dipstick aperture the pipe got jammed, I gave a tug or two and finally a slighty stronger one ( not going too mad) and it parted with about an estimated 300mm still down the dipstick.

I am almost physically sick with what I have managed to do.

Does anyone have any sensible suggestion about anything that I can do/

Thanks.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2019, 15:39   #2
chiron_myth
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

I'm sure somebody will be along shortly with some expert advice. In the meantime, I wouldn't panic too much. The car will probably be ok as 300mm stuck in the dipstick pipe is too much to be pumped around the engine, and will likely just sit dangling in the oil sump. Worst case, you'll have to book your car into a garage to have them remove the dipstick tube or sump to get the pipe out. I would have thought you'll be ok to drive your car if you need to, but hopefully somebody will be along shortly to give a more definitive answer.

Main suggestion... make yourself a brew!
Old 10th March 2019, 15:54   #3
marti666
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer

Can you see the pipe in the dip stick?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• This vehicle was the 25,127th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
• This vehicle was the 1,317th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
• This vehicle was the 61st 75 Tourer in Platinum Gold (code: MCN) to be made out of 353 Platinum Gold 75 Tourers
• Born Thursday 9th September 2004 @ 08:24:28
marti666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2019, 15:56   #4
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

I was expecting something catastrophic. Whew, glad it is not. There are several ways to approach getting the hose out, but I think you may want to wait for someone else - a mobile mechanic, maybe - to come by tomorrow to handle it. The possible methods could be a wire like a coat hanger with a tight hook on the end to push down through the hose so the hook snags the bottom of the hose for withdrawal or a long wood screw turned into the hose with the threads cutting into the inside of the hose wall and then pulling the hose out - maybe with the help of some freeze spray on the dipstick tube. Or, as was said, remove the dipstick tube first.

Main thing now is to relax.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2019, 16:31   #5
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

If i remember correctly the dipstick pipe is attached to the engine with one of those press to release fixings similar to the breather hoses and a bracket bolted to the engine halfway up.
Shouldn't be too difficult for somebody on the spanners to sort out.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2019, 16:39   #6
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon, manual. Rover 75 Tourer, Auto.

Can you confirm...when you say that the pipe you inserted in the dip tube “parted”, do you mean it physically broke, or is there some sort of joint at the 300mm mark?
Are you positive there is still a section of pipe in the dip tube, or is it possible it wasn’t as long as you thought in the 1st place?
Only asking, as the pipes supplied with the pela version of this pump, only has 1 continuous length that gets inserted in the dip tube, and would be very difficult to “break” IMO, unless it was damaged before inserting.🤔

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 75 Contemporary SE diesel manual (#1)

2003 75T Connoisseur SE diesel auto (For Comfort)
2005 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (Marmite duotone )
2006 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (The last one?)

2009 E220 (For a change)
2018 L200 (For Big & Heavy Things)
1976 W114 250 Manual (For Sundays)
75driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2019, 16:41   #7
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by marti666 View Post
Can you see the pipe in the dip stick?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Nope

Heres the thing.

Fortunately before inserting the silicone tube down the dipstick I cut the end of it at an angle with a Stanley knife so as not to create a suction if the tube hit any flat surface.

Looking at the end of what I've got out, there is a sharp angle on the end with some serious scrape marks leading on from the end up the pipe an inch and a half or so including the minutest of tiny chunks where the angle of possible separation / stanley knife cut? hits the rest of the pipe

I know it sounds a touch obvious perhaps but presumably theres no way a parted pipe would have the parted in a sharpish clear 45 to 60ish degree angle similar to my original cut?

At someone elses suggestion who was skeptical that I would have been able to pull apart the pipe without the aid of a couple of shire horses I tried to pull apart the the pipe that I have retrieved and it's fair to say that even pulling it with a force that I would estimate to be far greater than that which I used, the pipe hasn't even come close to parting.

So apart from calming down slighly I'm wondering if hopefully that I have indeed got it all out. The reason that I panicked so much is that I immediately went to the box which says that the smaller pipe that feeds into the dipstick to suck out the oil is 1.2m long and the bit that I Have is only 900mm long and looks to the eye a touch shorter than I remember it being going in although I didn't measure it of course at the start of the job.

I wonder if anyone else readsing this who has bought one of these lidl electric oil pumps might measure their pipe and see how long their smaller bore pipe is.

The dipstick does go fully in.

Cheers

Last edited by bendrick; 10th March 2019 at 16:43..
Old 10th March 2019, 16:48   #8
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75driver View Post
Can you confirm...when you say that the pipe you inserted in the dip tube “parted”, do you mean it physically broke, or is there some sort of joint at the 300mm mark?
Are you positive there is still a section of pipe in the dip tube, or is it possible it wasn’t as long as you thought in the 1st place?
Only asking, as the pipes supplied with the pela version of this pump, only has 1 continuous length that gets inserted in the dip tube, and would be very difficult to “break” IMO, unless it was damaged before inserting.🤔

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well hopefully it isn't as long as I thought it was and the 1.2m length that it says on the box as mentioned above is incorrect.

I certainly haven't been able to break or stretch what I've got out despite pulling it with all my strength and there is of course the sharp angle at the end which I would assume, and hope that everybody else does, would be impossible to recreate by a parted pipe ( there is no join )
Old 10th March 2019, 16:50   #9
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Have you tried (very gently) inserting the dip stick?
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2019, 16:56   #10
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Have you tried (very gently) inserting the dip stick?
Yes it goes all the way in quite easily.