Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th March 2019, 20:46   #1
Adrian1961
Regular poster

Rover 75

Default Cooling fan conversation

Can anyone point me in the right direction with changing the cooling fan from a failed 3 speed (4 wire) unit fitted to a KV6, to a later 2 speed (3 wire) unit. I have a replacement unit ready to fit but need some advice on the best way to proceed , both control boxes are complete so ideally I want to wire the 2 speed fan straight into the original 4 wire control box. Thanks guys.
Adrian1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2019, 21:05   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian1961 View Post
Can anyone point me in the right direction with changing the cooling fan from a failed 3 speed (4 wire) unit fitted to a KV6, to a later 2 speed (3 wire) unit. I have a replacement unit ready to fit but need some advice on the best way to proceed , both control boxes are complete so ideally I want to wire the 2 speed fan straight into the original 4 wire control box. Thanks guys.
Hi Adrian
The presume you mean you have a 2 speed 2wire fan with a silver resistor or gold resistor already fitted to the replacement for the 4 wire three speed original fan?

If the replacement fan as 3 wires then that will be from a 1.8 or1.8T car to replace any fan you will need to remove the front bumper, then the slam panel with the lights in situ, if your car as A/C gas in then you would need to cut round the A/C pipe unions so as not to disturb the gas.

Fitting it as per the manual then the car would have to be de-gassed so the A/C union pipes can be released for the fan to be removed.

We have a meet coming up in just over a weeks time 16th 17th March which you more than welcome to attend, you would get help with the fitting of your fan there if you so wished. photo's below are of a diesel engine but it is the same process apart from the fan having to clips under the bottom holding to the condenser.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC19113.jpg (129.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg SDC19124.jpg (129.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg SDC19126.jpg (128.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg SDC19132.jpg (125.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg SDC19141.jpg (123.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg SDC19147.jpg (133.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg SDC19153.jpg (138.8 KB, 42 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 7th March 2019 at 21:17..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2019, 21:29   #3
Adrian1961
Regular poster

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Adrian
The presume you mean you have a 2 speed 2wire fan with a silver resistor or gold resistor already fitted to the replacement for the 4 wire three speed original fan?

If the replacement fan as 3 wires then that will be from a 1.8 or1.8T car to replace any fan you will need to remove the front bumper, then the slam panel with the lights in situ, if your car as A/C gas in then you would need to cut round the A/C pipe unions so as not to disturb the gas.

Fitting it as per the manual then the car would have to be de-gassed so the A/C union pipes can be released for the fan to be removed.

We have a meet coming up in just over a weeks time 16th 17th March which you more than welcome to attend, you would get help with the fitting of your fan there if you so wished. photo's below are of a diesel engine but it is the same process apart from the fan having to clips under the bottom holding to the condenser.

Hi Arctic

The failed unit on the car currently is the old style 3 speed 4 wire type with the 4 brushes which no longer runs, I have a complete 2 speed unit with the gold resistor from a MG ZT KV6 which I would like to fit as the replacement, how do I wire the 2 speed unit into the old style control box.
Old 7th March 2019, 21:47   #4
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

If the control box and wiring is complete with the grey plugs is intact on the two speed replacement, then it's plug and play

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2019, 01:36   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Hi Arctic

Quote:
The failed unit on the car currently is the old style 3 speed 4 wire type with the 4 brushes which no longer runs, I have a complete 2 speed unit with the gold resistor from a MG ZT KV6 which I would like to fit as the replacement, how do I wire the 2 speed unit into the old style control box.
Hi Adrian.
As stated by Russ if the fan is a working one and the gold resistor is in good condition & attached properly it is a case of removing the old fan and fitting the new one in it's place.

Remove the front bumper first disconnect the old fan from the loom in the NS wheel arch, plug in the replacement fan get someone to hold it up right keeping their fingers out of the fan blades, start the car with all the A/C off press the demist button only the fan should run continually, if so you know the slow speed is working so 99.9% of the time high speed should be ok.

Now you know it is working if it is, carry on removing the slam panel etc as above if you have gas in the car cut round the pipe unions do the same on the replacement fan and then you have not disturbed the gas good luck Arctic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 824.jpg (122.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 811.jpg (140.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 823.jpg (139.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 825.jpg (116.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 830.jpg (137.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg SDC18818.jpg (132.5 KB, 24 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Old 9th March 2019, 09:08   #6
Adrian1961
Regular poster

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
If the control box and wiring is complete with the grey plugs is intact on the two speed replacement, then it's plug and play

Russ
Great news , thanks Russ, I'll try it out on Monday and get back to you with the result, car is stripped down and ready but working over the weekend. Thanks for the advice
Old 12th March 2019, 11:23   #7
Adrian1961
Regular poster

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Adrian.
As stated by Russ if the fan is a working one and the gold resistor is in good condition & attached properly it is a case of removing the old fan and fitting the new one in it's place.

Remove the front bumper first disconnect the old fan from the loom in the NS wheel arch, plug in the replacement fan get someone to hold it up right keeping their fingers out of the fan blades, start the car with all the A/C off press the demist button only the fan should run continually, if so you know the slow speed is working so 99.9% of the time high speed should be ok.

Now you know it is working if it is, carry on removing the slam panel etc as above if you have gas in the car cut round the pipe unions do the same on the replacement fan and then you have not disturbed the gas good luck Arctic.

Success guys, 2 speeder plugged in and we have life! I've also replaced the Rad & Air condenser as well with the refit. Thank you for the help and advice.
Old 12th March 2019, 19:05   #8
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Success guys, 2 speeder plugged in and we have life! I've also replaced the Rad & Air condenser as well with the refit. Thank you for the help and advice.
HI Adrian.
Great news glad to hear you have got it all sorted out, the 2 speed fan should see you out for quite a long time now, I presume you now have to have the car re-gassed seeing you changed over the condenser as well.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 13th March 2019, 11:38   #9
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Ive re brushed a couple of the old 3 speed fans.
There is a company EBC or somthing similar that make brushes for them.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2019, 12:27   #10
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
There is a company EBC or somthing similar that make brushes for them.
Close . . . . its ECP, Engineering Carbon Products. It says that the brushes are for the heater fan motor, that error has been pointed out to them on numerous occasions, the brushes are for a ZT/75 three speed cooling fan motor.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote