Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th February 2019, 14:38   #1
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Default Key cases

I have two key fobs

Both work but my problems with each are that

1) The key blade on one is loose and keeps coming out ( I must confess to causing this by rather stupidly trying to prise something off with the blade which, predicable to any sensible person, resulted in the blade conming out initially)

Although the blade and it's plastic bit pushed back in OK it has been getting looser and looser and now sometimes detaches in the ignition lock when removing the key and I'm also of course afraid of it detaching at other times and getting lost.

So my question on this one is how do you keep the blade insert in the fob, I've seen vidoes on youtube which show them just being pushed in which clearly isn't any good in my case as the plastic top keeps coming loose and out.

So what exactly can I do to keep the blade in the case securely? Is there a suitable glue or something that helps or any other solution.

2) My other key works but has the dreaded button cover disintegration I can see loads of replacement fobs on Ebay etc but does anyone have a link to the best quality ones rather than the generic cheap chinese ones before I order.

Thanks very much for your anticipated advice

Last edited by bendrick; 13th February 2019 at 12:14..
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2019, 15:07   #2
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
I have two key fobs

Both work but my problems with each are that

1) The key blade on one is loose and keeps coming out ( I must confess to causing this by rather stupidly trying to pry something off with the blade which, predicable to any sensible person, resulted in the blade conming out initially)

Although the blade and it's plastic bit pushed back in OK it has been getting looser and looser and now sometimes detaches in the ignition lock when removing the key and I'm also of course afraid of it detaching at other times and getting lost.

So my question on this one is how do you keep the blade insert in the fob, I've seen vidoes on youtube which show them just being pushed in which clearly isn't any good in my case as the plastic top keeps coming loose and out.

So what exactly can I do to keep the blade in the case securely? Is there a suitable glue or something that helps or any other solution.

2) My other key works but has the dreaded button cover disintegration I can see loads of replacement fobs on Ebay etc but does anyone have a link to the best quality ones rather than the generic cheap chinese ones before I order.

Thanks very much for your anticipated advice

I glued my old blade back in with some epoxy resin ... It didn't stay 'glued' to the body for long but as it had filled the space nicely around the blade it meant it had as good a friction fit as new and never had any more problems with the blade coming out of the body again.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2019, 22:54   #3
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

I recently bought a couple of new cases for my Discovery (same as 75) due to the original, 16 year old buttons disintegrating.

Not sure how to attach a link via my phone, but the ebay ref. was 162892520725.

If you look at this, then go to the sellers other items, he has a version for a 75 which doesn't have the 'Land Rover' logo on the button. Seller was very helpful, quick delivery and the product seems good - been using one now for a couple of weeks with no problems
Old 13th February 2019, 01:23   #4
KLM
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club CDT

Just strip and rebuild via ebay.
kev.
KLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2019, 09:15   #5
egremont
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE. Auto. Saloon. SE

Default An MG Rover safety measure.

MG Rover designed the keyblade to separate from the keyfob in the case of an accident. To reduce injury.
It is mentioned in Rave, and they specified a Locktite 460 glue to assemble them. They also cautioned about placing the glue on all sides - to allow the blade to seat fully into the Fob housing.
egremont.
egremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2019, 10:43   #6
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
It can be a problem getting really good quality cases. What we've found with buying them is that you'll find a seller who does decent ones, but when you buy a second batch from them the quality of the next batch are poor.
Some of them have been so bad I've had to put them straight in the bin.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2019, 12:14   #7
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Thanks for all your helpful replies.

What was bugging me was that maybe something had snapped or was missing from the loose blade fob. Something which kept the blade in place. It wasn't until I saw the youtube video that I saw that the blade only clicks in rather than being held in by a screw or pin or something.

Seems a touch odd to me and I'm not quite sure why it would be a safety feature as I'm struggling to see how it would make anything safer in the event of an accident.

It is perfectly obvious that in time the plastic insert can well become looser especially when idiots try to prise something open with the blade.

What I didn't want to do was to go glueing something permanently in that later turns out to be a mistake when an exchange case needs to be made because the button covers have cracked for example.

Anyway I'll try either the loctite or epoxy method and it seems that the case ordering might be a bit of a lottery given what Russ has said even if ordering the other recommended case in the replies.

Holy Cr*p just seen the price for Locktite 460! Its more than the cars worth, On reflection have a go with an epoxy.

Last edited by bendrick; 13th February 2019 at 12:19..
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2019, 16:50   #8
Briodyjl01
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer, Rover 75 Saloon

Hope you got me a good one

hope friday is still okay for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
It can be a problem getting really good quality cases. What we've found with buying them is that you'll find a seller who does decent ones, but when you buy a second batch from them the quality of the next batch are poor.
Some of them have been so bad I've had to put them straight in the bin.

Russ
Old 13th February 2019, 17:54   #9
markypicks
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon cdt club se re map 160 bhp

did mine with gorilla glue and its been ok ever since
markypicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2019, 19:38   #10
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

I only bought the Land Rover badged ones at the end of Jan, so hopefully the other (Rover) ones will still be of similar quality.

My blade does move very slightly in the new case, but it certainly won't fall out ! At worst, I can always bond it in at a later date. But the buttons and light all work perfectly, and it feels like a reasonably decent, good quality, supple plastic