Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st September 2019, 21:10   #41
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Smile Battery replaced

Sorry folks. got distracted.
I went to Halfords, Camborne expecting a battle, but they were as good as gold and very professional. The young lass on the till called for their battery check person who turned up with a big box of tricks. After pressing a few buttons the screen read 'advise replacement'. The same battery was in stock and provided at no cost to me under their warranty. Full marks to Halfords on this occasion!
I fitted the new Yuasa 'silver 5000' HSB096 12V 80Ah 760A. I was informed the original receipt remained my warranty to five years from the purchase of the original one on 22/04/18, so in theory I'm good to 21/04/23 if my maths is OK!
The voltage off the shelf was 12.91v. The alternator was charging at 14.65v on tickover immediately after fitting on Friday at 17.30. The car started really well and you could really feel and hear the difference. This (Sat)morning the battery voltage was 12.62v. Again a strong start and ran well for a five mile errand. On parking, the battery was at 13.26 . Two mins later it was at 12.72.
It will be very interesting to see the resting voltage in the morning, but for me it's a great relief. I have a new alternator on it's way, but it looks like it'll be added to my parts bin for now.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2019, 15:54   #42
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

That's a great result Edward.--Now you can look forward to a number of years of trouble free driving as far as your battery is concerned.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2019, 10:25   #43
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default New battery under warranty

Hello Edward,

Thanks for posting your update but I think that celebration is premature. I'm still concerned at the abnormal current drain which you previously reported. That cannot be caused by a dying battery. If your car is still drawing 100mA continuously it won't be long before your shiny new, fully charged battery goes the same way as the last one. Did you see my question regarding the sat. nav. disc drive LED (post no. 36)?

We must also consider why your previous battery failed at only a year old. It may have been a rare case of a manufacturing defect but could it be because you don't use the car often and when you do, it is for short journeys? If this is the case, you are quite right when you said that you will need to connect your C-tek smart charger to maintain the battery at a full state of charge.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 26th September 2019 at 10:28..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2019, 22:30   #44
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Thanks Simon.
I left the C-tek on while we were away for a week.
The car is only driven 20 miles on Mondays at present and the odd weekend trip.
I took the C-tek off Monday morning. Parked after my 20 miles Mon trip. Tues pm battery at 12.72v, Wed pm 12.80v briefly & then 12.77v. Thursday (tonight) 12.72v.
I'm planning to pull fuses over the weekend to try and pin down exactly what is causing the current drain(s) and will hopefully report back fairly soon.
PS. Is there an autosave option? I just lost a much longer post ( possibly a good thing lol)
Old 3rd October 2019, 22:46   #45
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
Thanks Simon.
I left the C-tek on while we were away for a week.
The car is only driven 20 miles on Mondays at present and the odd weekend trip.
I took the C-tek off Monday morning. Parked after my 20 miles Mon trip. Tues pm battery at 12.72v, Wed pm 12.80v briefly & then 12.77v. Thursday (tonight) 12.72v.
I'm planning to pull fuses over the weekend to try and pin down exactly what is causing the current drain(s) and will hopefully report back fairly soon.
PS. Is there an autosave option? I just lost a much longer post ( possibly a good thing lol)
Voltages looking good.

That AUTOSAVE. If you find one let me know please.

I have over last few years lost a number of long posts. SO ANNOYING. Especially with my one finger typing. Lol.

I usual just give up and go some place else.---
Old 4th October 2019, 06:55   #46
SD1too

Quote:
PS. Is there an autosave option? I just lost a much longer post ...
When signing-in, tick the box which says "Remember me". It's an ambiguous label. It doesn't mean that the site will store your log-in details.

After typing a long post and submitting it, you might still be presented with a form saying that you're not logged-in. You'll see two sets of 'fields' asking for your 'user name' and password. Fill in the lower boxes, not those at the top of the screen, and it will return you to the site and post your composition without loss.

Yes, I agree, it couldn't be more confusing and illogical but that's computer programmers for you!

Simon
Old 4th October 2019, 15:21   #47
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Voltages looking good.

That AUTOSAVE. If you find one let me know please.

I have over last few years lost a number of long posts. SO ANNOYING. Especially with my one finger typing. Lol.

I usual just give up and go some place else.---
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
When signing-in, tick the box which says "Remember me". It's an ambiguous label. It doesn't mean that the site will store your log-in details.

After typing a long post and submitting it, you might still be presented with a form saying that you're not logged-in. You'll see two sets of 'fields' asking for your 'user name' and password. Fill in the lower boxes, not those at the top of the screen, and it will return you to the site and post your composition without loss.

Yes, I agree, it couldn't be more confusing and illogical but that's computer programmers for you!

Simon
I have also found that pressing the 'back' button on the browser took me back to the message box along with my typed message, which gave me a second chance to copy it before proceeding.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2019, 20:46   #48
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I have also found that pressing the 'back' button on the browser took me back to the message box along with my typed message, which gave me a second chance to copy it before proceeding.
All I get is-----THIS PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED.

I have even tried COPY and afterwards PASTE.

I still lose the post.---------
Old 10th November 2019, 17:42   #49
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Been a while but I thought I’d post photos of my final solution to my battery running down. Alternator is fine, battery is fine, but my ZT 260 doesn’t like being used infrequently. I’ve wired in a CTEK socket permanently so it’s easier to hook up the charger to maintain the battery. (Go for the M8 eyelets on the connectors and not the M10’s).IMG_1466.jpgIMG_1467.jpgIMG_1468.jpgIMG_1469.jpgIMG_1471.jpgIMG_1472.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10th November 2019, 18:12   #50
SD1too

Quote:
... my ZT 260 doesn’t like being used infrequently. I’ve wired in a CTEK socket permanently ...
That's true and a very wise move but what about the constant 100mA drain you previously reported?

By the way, I can't see your pictures. Can you upload them to this forum's image gallery?

Simon