Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th October 2016, 12:14   #181
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best_of_British View Post
Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
?????
Old 26th October 2016, 17:05   #182
coolcat
This is my second home

Today we moved our boat to its new moorings at Acle.

We now have Shore power and water hook up and can use the boat all year round.

Spun the warm air heating system up for the first time today.......Toasty on board

Ros and I got some jobs done and gave the boat a bit of a clean and spruce up as well

Old 27th October 2016, 07:12   #183
freddie
Passed Away

75 cdti connoisseur se saloon

Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Today we moved our boat to its new moorings at Acle.

We now have Shore power and water hook up and can use the boat all year round.

Spun the warm air heating system up for the first time today.......Toasty on board

Ros and I got some jobs done and gave the boat a bit of a clean and spruce up as well

See Ros is doing all the work

LADY IN RED
freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 07:14   #184
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post
See Ros is doing all the work
A woman's work is never done Freddie..... besides, someone had to sit down and eat all the food
Old 28th October 2016, 10:23   #185
coolcat
This is my second home

Right guys.....

We have our on board Propex warm air heating all running nicely.

Will be putting our tube heaters in at the weekend and we also have a small oil filled radiator and dehumidifier (with constant drain pipe) sorted.

We also have crystal moisture traps dotted about the boat and we have biologically safe antifreeze for the on board water so that side of things is sorted.......I think

This brings us on to the outboard engine.
As we are going to be using the boat through the winter, are there any things you guys can think of to keep the engine running nicely and minimise any problems associated with use in colder weather?
Old 28th October 2016, 20:20   #186
Weso
I really should get out more.......

Mondeo ST TDCI Estate

Hi Jeff,
Not been around here much and just caught up with your boating thread. Most of my experience of outboards has been 2 stroke so might not be of much use. Generally all outboards need use. If you can start it on a regular basis it will help and try to give it some use, running it under load is much more beneficial than running out of gear. Being water cooled i think (?) the main peril is water being left in the narrow coolant channels that it passes through all the way up the leg to the engine. If this freezes it can cause all sorts of serious problems. Many 4 strokes are used all year round on small cobbles from the beach on the Norfolk and Suffolk coasts by commercial fisherman. So perfectly viable with care and planning.
Remember it should be relatively simple to lift the outboard off the transom, lifted into your car and taken to a outboard service man of your choice almost anywhere.
Many offer a winterising service then store it inside ready for the new season. Servicing can vary from the good to the non existent. At the minimum a oil change, plugs change, tune up and water impeller replacement is required before next season. They can also remove the prop, lubricate the prop shaft which can avoid problems. Lifting the outboard to it's tilt position assists also and preserves the leg but obviously not always viable with stern on moorings without lots of careful positioning. More useful advice would be available on the many boating forums as well as upto date advice on decent service places.
Generally the broads are at there best in winter given suitable weather. Remember that many boating specific pubs/ shops and services just close this time of year.
I used to sea fish on my own boat during the winter months and it can be demanding. Just keeping your hands warm enough and other extremities warm enough to function and handle ropes etc can be a challenge and i was a lot younger then.
If your engine is a Mariner then it is either identical to a Yamaha or Mercury depending on it's horsepower so no need to be brand specific with your choice of servicing agent.
Many just take there engine home and run it in a wheelie bin with the help of a garden hose but this only viable up to about 8Hp in 4 stroke engines due to there size and weight.
Anyway enough from me, hope you are well and hope to catch up with you some time in the months ahead. Enjoy your new hobby, a most rewarding one!
Mark
Weso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 09:24   #187
coolcat
This is my second home

Hi Mark,

Hope you are well Sir?

The plan is to use the boat at least once a week through Autumn, Winter and into spring .

The engine had its last service in June of this year so will be done next year or when we hit 100 hours.
We have all the details of the chap who comes highly recommended and has been servicing our engine since new

What I'm more concerned with is any precautions I need to make with regards using the boat/engine throughout the cold snap.
From what I gather the engine is raw water cooled and isn't stored in the system, it is drawn through from the water the boat is in when running.
I have been told the engine is best left down as any water in the system drains out when in that position .

I'm a member of the Viking owners club and have had good advice from there as well.
Still, I like to ask you guys as we are the best bunch out there

Hope to catch up soon, maybe you can pop down and see us at Acle sometime

Last edited by coolcat; 29th October 2016 at 09:36..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 09:30   #188
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

You sound as happy as a pig in wosnameJeff.
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 09:35   #189
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYER View Post
You sound as happy as a pig in wosnameJeff.
I is George.........Ros and I will be going over this evening so will be testing out the heater proper tonight

Hopefully get some jobs done tomorrow and go for a little run out on the water as well.

Zed the Ted will get his last trip out on the water with us before he goes off on his next jolly with our Flying Banana
Old 31st October 2016, 09:46   #190
coolcat
This is my second home

Our boat yesterday morning in the lovely October Sunshine at her new home at Acle
CC9J3258 by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr