Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th July 2015, 11:24   #1
Seafrost
Posted a thing or two

75 Connie SE 1.8 Manual Tourer

Default Freelander

Hi all,
Has anyone put the Double Din stereo's into the Freelander? I know some of you have one, and hoping you may have tried...

Also the 1800 Freelander... ( do not be rude, I like K series ), but are they more or less reliable in the Freelander for those that have had one?, reason I ask, I saw one loosing its coolant on the M4.... and have read they are more prone? due to the heavy weight of the car?......

I am considering jumping ship to a Freelander.....living in a village for you.
Seafrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2015, 11:27   #2
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafrost View Post
Hi all,
Has anyone put the Double Din stereo's into the Freelander? I know some of you have one, and hoping you may have tried...

Also the 1800 Freelander... ( do not be rude, I like K series ), but are they more or less reliable in the Freelander for those that have had one?, reason I ask, I saw one loosing its coolant on the M4.... and have read they are more prone? due to the heavy weight of the car?......

I am considering jumping ship to a Freelander.....living in a village for you.
Hi Brian,

I shall ask Sean whether our double din units fit or if there is an alternative head unit available
Old 20th July 2015, 11:28   #3
Seafrost
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Hi Brian,

I shall ask Sean whether our double din units fit or if there is an alternative head unit available

Thank You Jeff
Old 20th July 2015, 16:11   #4
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Hi Brian - we had a 1.8 K series Freelander from new in 2001 and sold it after many '000's miles 9 years later.

It was great, a superb vehicle. Just get one with the remote thermostat, service it regularly and all should be well.

My only issue was a nigly dash rattle that took a couple of years to sort out. And I still am not quite sure what i did to make it go away.......!

The K series works well in the Freelander.

Just make sure the IRD is working properly.

Best fun I ever had was twofold :-

a) Using HDC (Hill Descent Control) on an off-road course - awesome! totally different to diff-lock and low range but none the worse for that.

b) On snow and ice - going out in the Freelander and playing with the Traction Control and the ABS.

Truly the best fun I have had with the trouser on.

I miss it - and would get another. Only negative of the 1.8 - not good for towing.

Always fancied a V6 version with LPG. - Now that WOULD be awesome
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2015, 18:22   #5
Seafrost
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Hi Brian - we had a 1.8 K series Freelander from new in 2001 and sold it after many '000's miles 9 years later.

It was great, a superb vehicle. Just get one with the remote thermostat, service it regularly and all should be well.

My only issue was a nigly dash rattle that took a couple of years to sort out. And I still am not quite sure what i did to make it go away.......!

The K series works well in the Freelander.

Just make sure the IRD is working properly.

Best fun I ever had was twofold :-

a) Using HDC (Hill Descent Control) on an off-road course - awesome! totally different to diff-lock and low range but none the worse for that.

b) On snow and ice - going out in the Freelander and playing with the Traction Control and the ABS.

Truly the best fun I have had with the trouser on.

I miss it - and would get another. Only negative of the 1.8 - not good for towing.

Always fancied a V6 version with LPG. - Now that WOULD be awesome
Wow thanks for an honest review......

I am off to see a xei model tomorrow... I have been talking myself out of it, as I love my 75 tourer and all its toys... but I do struggle getting in and out of it....but then I have spent so much on it lately... new cat, lambda, ss exhaust, aftermarket wheels and refurb, battery, and now the new revotec fan from Jules.....

Swmbo has said she will drive the Freelander, she refuses to drive my 75.....

I am thinking I am not getting any younger, I live in a bit of a dip.. and when it snowed a year or so ago, I was still able to get out in the heavy tourer, where others got stuck... but a freelander should have no trouble...

Only downside for me... its not got FSH... and its 30,000 miles higher than my 75......and its slightly dearer road tax... mine is £225 this is £290...

However you have now convinced me to at least have a good test drive and be sure...

Speed is not an issue, I plod along. Towing no issue, I do not tow...
I have got used to using swmbo's meriva, nice high seating position and easy to get in and out.....

I'm hoping now its a nice one... although he has told me on the phone it needs a sump seal... but its provided.?... we shall see.
Old 20th July 2015, 19:00   #6
Darcydog
This is my second home

Hi Brian

Couple of things - the transmission on older not well maintained Freelanders "winds up" due to the IRD losing its ability to distribute the drive to all four wheels. Not difficult fix but if it hasn't been done it can do nasty things to the rear diff.

Some owners remove the rear prop-shaft which certainly stops all the groans and tyre slip but does s0d all for the handling of a car designed to be AWD. So get down have a look and see if the rear prop shaft is there. If it isn't - it will pass the following test with flying colours!!!! -

How to check - find a bit of gravel and drive the thing on full lock whilst SWMBO or a friend watches the wheels - first on one side then the other. If one of the wheels (usually the rears) is seen to jump and flick round then the IRD is pretty much cream crackerred and is allowing the transmission to wind up. Do this too much and something will go bang.

Not a really big issue as I say as they are easy to replace if a bit pricy - so you can use this to beat them down on price if you wish. - BUT do then check the rear diff out because if that needs replacing then you are looking at big bucks. Groans and clunks from the back - walk away.

Bad owners will hide the problem by removing the rear prop-shaft.

The HDC and the Traction Control are fitted to all but the early base models I think - Worth having as great fun and makes the vehicle very safe on bad weather. It is difficult to check if you have not used it before and many owners have NEVER used the HDC. It is a yellow button on the gear lever and powers the ABS in reverse (my probably totally inaccurate description ) in that you can leave the car in first, go over the edge of a mind blowing steep and slippery slope and the braking system works overtime transferring braking to the wheels so that the vehicle gets down the slope with ease.

The same system was used on the Discovery 2 for a while but they went back to the more usual Diff-Lock as well as HDC because on such a heavy vehicle and when used in mud especially the wear on the braking system was phenomenal.

There are literally loads of the Mk1's Freelanders about - the Mk2's have a better AWD system but they are a lot £'s more......

I suspect you would enjoy one because there is such a lot of commonality with "our cars" - I experienced this when going the other way - Freelander to MG ZT-T.

I really fancy a Td4 5 door Freelander as a run about for me and the dogs - I bought the ZT-T to do just that - but to be honest - it is far too good a car for me to be putting two large sopping wet dogs in it this winter and being used for regular tip runs.

Finally - if you know this - apologies - but both 3 Door and 5 Door Freelanders are exactly the same wheelbase. So do not be fooled by dealers/sellers occasionally saying that the 3 door is a Short Wheelbase and the 5 Door is Long Wheelbase.

The are both the same.

We had the 3 Door because the doors are enormous - not so good in some car parks - but truly excellent for us with my disabled Mother in law when she was alive. We could gently park her bottom on the seat and slide her round to get her in.

In the end the Freelander was the only car she could comfortably get in and out of.

For us - the car was awesome.
Old 21st July 2015, 12:59   #7
Seafrost
Posted a thing or two

Well after doing much reading up last night, I felt that a 2004 model freelander was probably not a shrewd investment, especially not in 1.8 guise........ many parts would need to be replaced like our 75's and some parts are Mega Expensive.... upon talking to my inlaws, it might turn out in my favour......I am in talks about his 2010 VW. He is due to buy a new one in Sept/Oct... and his will be up for part/ex... but has said I can have first refusal..... its a 1.9 diesel auto..... 7 seats.... what more could one want? yes its a bland euro box but reliable and not as expensive to run as my 75....now what to do with my Tourer (IF) we do agree a deal..... I do not... and I mean do not want to sell it, but then neither do I want it rotting away and I will not be able to keep both on the road, Decisions Decisions.
Old 21st July 2015, 13:17   #8
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafrost View Post
Well after doing much reading up last night, I felt that a 2004 model freelander was probably not a shrewd investment, especially not in 1.8 guise........ many parts would need to be replaced like our 75's and some parts are Mega Expensive.... upon talking to my inlaws, it might turn out in my favour......I am in talks about his 2010 VW. He is due to buy a new one in Sept/Oct... and his will be up for part/ex... but has said I can have first refusal..... its a 1.9 diesel auto..... 7 seats.... what more could one want? yes its a bland euro box but reliable and not as expensive to run as my 75....now what to do with my Tourer (IF) we do agree a deal..... I do not... and I mean do not want to sell it, but then neither do I want it rotting away and I will not be able to keep both on the road, Decisions Decisions.
I understand where you are coming from - for me the issues we have with our cars and those of the LR's, are not really issues at all.

I would say tho, that I have come across far more abused Freelanders than I have MG ZT's or 75's.
Old 23rd July 2015, 12:15   #9
Seafrost
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
I understand where you are coming from - for me the issues we have with our cars and those of the LR's, are not really issues at all.

I would say tho, that I have come across far more abused Freelanders than I have MG ZT's or 75's.

My 75 is an absolute gem.... this Freelander I was looking into, also looked great, but it was reading up on various landy forums, that finally sealed it for me. They as owners, did not recommend the 1.8, at all.... they also mentioned a lot about the various parts, IRD, etc that can prove extremely costly. Added to that the age of it... and how parts for ours are so heavily stacked against everyday use... and parts for the Freelander would be the same, it came down to simple economics.

The VW.. I know its owner.. its always been to VW for servicing... its auto and a diesel... albeit looks like a ruddy huge van...... I think it will suit my purposes for the years to come, and at the end of the day, if anything major fails, I should still get a good return if I have to shift it on.
No deal struck yet.....

So for now, I am still waiting for a sunny day, to fit the fan to mine and get her mobile again, then decide over the coming months what to do next... I really thought I was keeping the 75 for life.... but some of the parts lately are so pricey for an old, no longer manufactured car, that its simply not viable for me....does not help the Government constantly penalising motorists either....nor the fact scrappies keep crushing them before I get to strip them! to keep mine on the road...

I have got that confused.. I even sat down and worked out how much I could get for mine in bits... something I said I would NEVER do...... but she is probably worth more in bits