Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th June 2017, 15:30   #1
Chris G

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Its just not running right.!!!

Hello all.
Hope you're sitting comfortably.

I took my standard 1.8 turbo to Kmaps in Warwick about 3 months ago for a 200hp re map.
They did a fantastic job and the car ran beautifully.

Since the re map I've had the head ported and a VVC inlet manifold fitted, all work done by someone who knows what they are doing, nothing Mickey Mouse. The end result is a Rover 75 that goes like stink...

However.

My main reason for having the above work done is for better engine efficiency & fuel economy, I am after all a 40 year old man in a Rover 75 & not an 18 year old in a Citroen Saxo on McDonalds car park.

Now for the niggles.

1) Engine management light flashed with a noticeable misfire, fault code was a P0313 misfire due to low fuelling.
This seems to of been cured after changing the fuel pump & filter.

2) The idle is uneven & lumpy, driving me mad, not so much hunting, it just drops away almost stalling every 30 seconds or so, also when manoeuvring into a parking space at low revs it just dies on me.

I have so far changed the IACV, the throttle body complete with gasket & TPS as well as the MAP sensor. Ignition coils including the lead that connects to the loom, HT leads, spark plugs gapped at 0.5mm all still to no avail.

The car is also a swine to start on a hot engine so I now have in the post a lambda sensor & a crankshaft position sensor in the vain hope that they might cure it, I don't begrudge replacing parts that aren't broken, the car is 12 years old now so I kind of take the view that it cant do any harm.

Anyway during my spending spree of sensors etc it occurred to me that maybe taking it back to Kmaps could be the answer, so I am on Monday, my theory is that the ported head, VVC manifold & K&N air filter are conflicting with the original re map & it all just needs a tweak for the new set up. The software they use is like T4 on steroids so should also pick up any gremlins.

Am I barking up the right tree here or just barking mad?

Many thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Last edited by Chris G; 7th June 2017 at 15:34..
Chris G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 17:17   #2
simondhopkins
Loves to post

Vauxhall Vectra C

If the map was done on standard manifold, pre port n polish etc then it could be the map is running lean.
simondhopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 17:49   #3
Chris G

Rover 75 Saloon

My thoughts exactly.
You can over do it on the oxygen sometimes.

Yes the map was done when the rest of the car was completely standard.
So hopefully a bit of lap top trickery should see things right.

Fingers crossed..

Chris G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 21:14   #4
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

I think that you've done the work back to front.
Do the head work first, new valve springs, port and polish the ports, lap in the valves and replace any that could be suspect. Then allow the head to lightly carbon up, 3-5000 miles, then get the remap done. I'd go back and get it tweaked