Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 & ZT Gallery
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th April 2016, 17:48   #141
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Default Been a bad today

I wanted to get onto the car today and hopefully get her running.

But before that and to keep the piece the missus wanted me to fit ne belts onto the dyson. Half an hour later I had it in bits but the belts she purchased don't fit so the dyson is left in its on the floor.

I finally got onto my car and was getting on not too bad. Then I discovered in order to fit the rear lifting eye I would have to remove the alternator which in turn means removing the top plate on the engine mount.

I was also having trouble with the plate which mounts onto the rear injector feed rail. Another half hour later and consulting my photos Ah! Now I remember two injectors face the opposite way

I finally gave up for the day so I have still that darned alternator to remove.

Oh well maybe by the weekend I will have her running,I even have the new battery sitting ready.

I've also got another secret project started, I'll call this one "Quantum"
More details to follow
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2016, 22:43   #142
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Default Big day tomorrow

Finally yes finally I'm ready for starting her up
Had a wee bit of a headache with a spurious cable but Jules put me right, it was an unused connection for traction control.

After some juggling with that small bracket on the side of the engine which has multiple clips to support various pipes and one hose I got there.

Oh ! And those two brackets at the back of the manifold, well for a 65 year old they're a real pain.
Anyway in the morning all I have to do is connect the new battery check the water and fire her up.
That being successful the car will be turned round and the next projects done I.e. Full rear suspension overhaul and the fitting of project "Quantum"

May be a couple of weeks yet ( I'll explain later) but I will get some photos on.
Now for a good nights sleep
Old 18th April 2016, 21:34   #143
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Default She's up and running

After a bad start with the weather, finally just after lunch time today I got the V6 up and running.
She started first turn of the key which surprised me a bit as it's been off the road for over a year now.
I've still to fit the rear engine plate as I had to give up trying to get one of those silly little rear manifold support plate to fit.
I will get it done later but meantime I've now got the car turned round in the drive and have already started removing the rear suspension.

Oh ! and I got the final fabrication done on Project Quantum so it's now ready to fit onto the car.
Old 11th May 2016, 21:34   #144
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Just over a month till the Scottish meet at the Falkirk Wheel and I've got a lot to do if I'm going to be there with the V6.

Today I picked up the parts from the sand blasters but the upper suspension arms have some pin holes so they will be replaced with new ones.
I've given the remaining parts a first coat of primer to prevent them rusting and over the next couple of weeks I will be getting stuck in to get the suspension overhaul finished.
I just hope the weather keeps up.
Old 11th May 2016, 21:38   #145
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
Just over a month till the Scottish meet at the Falkirk Wheel and I've got a lot to do if I'm going to be there with the V6.

Today I picked up the parts from the sand blasters but the upper suspension arms have some pin holes so they will be replaced with new ones.
I've given the remaining parts a first coat of primer to prevent them rusting and over the next couple of weeks I will be getting stuck in to get the suspension overhaul finished.
I just hope the weather keeps up.
Can't wait Jim to have a look under your car, gives me inspiration, Last year you had your Jaaaaag & mobile shed at Gretna, iirc, so hopefully you can get the 75 ready
suzublu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 21:55   #146
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Can't wait Jim to have a look under your car, gives me inspiration, Last year you had your Jaaaaag & mobile shed at Gretna, iirc, so hopefully you can get the 75 ready
Thanks, I can't wait myself. Been over a year since I had a drive in a 75.
Must admit the XF's a good car, just spent the last few days showing some Maltese visitors our lovely country. Overall trip of 400 miles returned 40 mpg.

Yesterday it was 31 degrees in Fort William when we got back to the car. Cooled down to 27 when on the move.

All going well I might manage to Gretna pulling the van with the V6.
Old 14th May 2016, 21:20   #147
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Today was not a good day, well not for working on the V6 anyway.

I decided to finish off the tow bar fitting and just when I was about finished, i.e. Torquing up the studs To 120 Nm I stripped three out of six captive nuts.

It's a Witter tow bar and has only done three years service on our diesel so not good enough quality on these nuts IMO.

I wasted more than two hours stripping it down and re fitting it with nylon nuts.
I fitted the brackets inside the rear chassis member first then just managed to fit the nut onto the stud through the small gap at the chassis leg opening.

I spent the remainder of the day prepping the underside of the car. I also stripped the rust off the tank bracket and re painted it. I was quite surprised how good it was as the one on our diesel was pin holed when I did the refurb on it 4 years ago.
Old 15th May 2016, 19:01   #148
BigBen
Loves to post

R75 V8 Tourer, CDTi Auto Tourer (both Connie SE), MG ZT-T 190+, MG TF 115

I do luuuuuuurve those chrome B pillars!

[SIGPIC]https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/image.php?u=23989&type=sigpic&dateline=1467731033[/SIGPIC]

Past cars:-
BL: Discovery 3.1 & V8 2WD pick-up, Rover 800 Vitesse Turbo Coupe, 820 SLi 180 Fastback, 600ti, Montego 2.0EFi VDP, Ital 1.3 Estate
Ford: Transit Cosworth V6, Granada 2.9 V6 Scorpio & 2.8 V6 GL
Volvo: 480 Turbo & 1.7 ES, 240 GLE
Porsche: 944 2.7 Lux
Audi: 100 ESE 20v
Peugeot: 405 1.9 GR
Talbot: Alpine 1.6 Rapier S
BigBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2016, 18:37   #149
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Had a weekend break away with the caravan and just along from me was a gentleman with a silver 75.
Couldn't resist it so I popped along for a chat.
Turns out he only purchased the car, a silver diesel connoisseur manual about a year ago. It is quite a low mileage, around 50k and although he is not on the forum he seems to know about most of the niggles with the 75's.
Anyway I told him about the club and left it at that.

On return today I managed to build up the rear sub frame with the new upper arms and refurbished lower links.
I also fitted the rear brake pipes which I got made up for me, £88 they cost me which was a bit of a shock but the garage did a very good job with all the bends in the right places.
Once fully fitted I can then re fit the tank and get the sub frame back into place so things are coming along nicely.
I've got so little free time I just haven't managed to get some photos posted but hopefully before she's finished I'll get some on.
Old 31st May 2016, 21:50   #150
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Been busy this last few days working on the suspension.

I've now got the rear suspension fitted back into the car and I'm now working on the brakes. With the car sitting off the road they're a wee bit rusty. I'm also polishing up the stainless exhaust to make it look pretty

When this is all done I can get the car back onto all 4 wheels but then I will be turning it round to tidy up the front end a bit before its MOT. I've also got a set of projectors to fit so while I'm doing this the front landing panel will get a refurb.

All going well I should make it along to the Scottish meet at the Falkirk Wheel.

I may take the caravan along and make a weekend of it. I'm sure there must be a site nearby. The tow bar is fitted but I've still to wire up the electrics.