Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th August 2023, 13:20   #1
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

Default Dead CD player/dead SatNav/and now Dead screen

Right now I have the following faults, and would like advice on which way to go, as I've had a couple of weeks dismantling and don't want to go through it once more! All will be revealed shortly:-

1) CD player dead - no power? (Was showing 'No Magazine' on screen).
2) SatNav not working - no power light on rear box (was showing 'no CD inserted' on screen).
3) and now - Screen now blank, was ok before I tried operating the cd eject on the player.

I have a hi-line factory fitted on a 03 plate mk1. When I got the car I put later units in, so I have the BMW (mk4?) widescreen head, mk3 satnav, and possibly later TV (analogue) and radio boxes.
Everything was working fine until I started playing with an lpg fault which meant a replacement ecu, and some rewiring of the loom. There were a number of intermittent crimps, so my ICE faults could be related to that rewiring!
The cd magazine fault occurred a couple of months ago, and I had left i until now. More recently, AM radio went low sensitivity; I cured that yesterday at the amp connection on the n/s/r pillar just by touching the connector, it seems solid now.
In trying to find the CD & Satnav power, I read though some of the forum posts this morning. Damp on the radio unit came up; I've checked that as ok and can see nothing amiss around the wiring in the rear wing.
I then thought about taking out the cd unit to check the supply. Another test on the head unit confirmed faults only with cd & satnav (both power?), so I had a feel around the cd unit. Decided I perhaps should pull it out, tried the eject button first, and that was when the screen went blank.
So I am now here, thought it better to ask before more dismantling.
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2023, 15:44   #2
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Having left the car & come in to put this thread up, I did some work in the garden. When I just went back to the car, without touching anything, I tried the ICE again. RHE SCREEN WAS WORKING. How bizarre! Still no CD or Satnav though.
Old 16th August 2023, 06:20   #3
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

No replies as yet, but good news.
I had a good close inspection around the fusebox/glove box/cd player yesterday. It seemed that when I pressed the Eject button for the magazine, there was a faint noise from the motor, showing power was reaching the unit. A close inspection followed, and I thought I could see the disc partially ejected to the magazine, so decided to remove the player from the car. On the bench, after removing the lid & facia (not an easy job) I saw the jammed disc. I managed to move the large gearwheel round with a screwdriver, which moved the cd to full injection. Plugging it back in, in a dismantled state, the magazine came out.
Re-assembly proved a tad difficult, so I retrieved a similar player from the shed and plugged that in. Success! the cd system was now working, and unbelievably, the satnav was too! I left it playing whilst I continued with the rebuild of the original; but after playing a few tracks the cd stopped. Luckily I had the got the original back together by then, so I put that back in. It worked fine and I had it running for quite some time while I tidied up.
However, for some reason this had flattened the battery - a new one in June.
Now I have another problem. Flat battery, on charge (down to 5v), an expired Mot, with a test booked for 8am, hope it starts ok.....