Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th November 2006, 02:21   #1
NOCTURNAL
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-260SE

Default Sun Visors... why are they rubbish :P

Ok two part question really, First of all whay are they so Cr@p...
i.e. theres a huge gaping hole for the sun to blind you in the upper right corner of the screen.... It misses by a mile,
along with a huge gap inbetween the two visors, but that ones kind of expected, the upper right section can just catch you out...

and certainly on my zt260 they are very cheap and nasty leagues behind my old 10 year-old ghia-x mondy... for some reason the passenger gets an un illuminated mirror with no cover

Don't get me wrong I like looking at my missus, but she's not so keen on staring at herself permenantly when it was sunny LOL, I think she developed a complex

Ok Rant over....
The Solution.....

Can anyone enlighten me as to what else is available?? spec wise? I have seen some on the bay with covers and illuminated, but is that it? just the two specs? or are there more?? and has anyone fitted the illuminated version?? are the looms there? or will it need looping in from elsewhere??
forgive the 20 question approach, Just want to make sure I get the right ones Oh and what is the highest spec rover for future ref??
one more thing, are all the headlinings and fittings the same colour on a 260? or are there more options for me to get wrong LOL

Cheers, Nick
NOCTURNAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 04:28   #2
brickwalls

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOCTURNAL View Post
Ok two part question really, First of all whay are they so Cr@p...
iCan anyone enlighten me as to what else is available?? spec wise? I have seen some on the bay with covers and illuminated, but is that it? just the two specs? or are there more?? and has anyone fitted the illuminated version?? are the looms there? or will it need looping in from elsewhere??
forgive the 20 question approach, Just want to make sure I get the right ones Oh and what is the highest spec rover for future ref??
one more thing, are all the headlinings and fittings the same colour on a 260? or are there more options for me to get wrong LOL

Cheers, Nick
Hi Nick, I had a set of Illuminated Visors with the covers sent out from a breaker/wrecker sometime ago. They were in sandstone material, [the originals were light charcoal vinyl] but once in the ZT they don't look out of place. The loom was not there, and my A pillars are full of airbags so I didn't want to take the risk of damaging them fishing a loom in. [note if you have the same advise that you DON'T take airbag equiped pillar covers off as this has good chance of going horribly wrong. I extended the feeds from the over head light cluster. As I have a sunroof, the job didn't call to drop the roof lining. I manipulated a pull-through string with a wire coat hanger to a hole that you can feed back down to the visors connector [About 150mm/6" back from the A pillars]. The connectors I found were similar to many computer connectors & sourced them from an electronic shop.
brickwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 08:49   #3
NOCTURNAL
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-260SE

Thanks for the advice
I had read that the covers come off ok somewhere, but like you think i would leave well alone... I'll see when the time comes

Nick.
NOCTURNAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 09:16   #4
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

When I did the footwell lights mod I had to take wires down the A pillar, but you can pull the seal back enough to tease them in.

HTH

Malcolm
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 10:05   #5
Alex30013k
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon 2.0 CDTi Conn Se

My Sun Visors on my 75 are fine; they are not the cheap plastic covered ones that MG Rover used for the Zt and some 75's!

Both mine are both illumined with a flap that turns light on and off!

I know they removed some of these posh parts from the Zt but in the end all the later built cars they put all the cost cut items back into the cars.
Alex30013k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 10:14   #6
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Simple mod cut proper shaped visors from thick card cover in sticky back plastic and fix to existing with rubber bands very useful when the sun is low in the sky all day such as it is this time of year.

When I was on the road a lot in company cars I typically found the sunvisor coverage was inadequate especailly around the driver mirror and did the above temporary winter mod to most cars I was given.

Or get one of those popular 80's Sharon and Tracy graduated things for the top 6" of the screen
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 11:25   #7
Rincewind
Loves to post

MINI Cooper S Works (Superchardged not Turbo!)

The quality of the visors went rapidly down hill during the onslaught of Project Rape the cars of everything they have that customers like, sorry, Project Drive. Hence the reason the illumination was dropped on some of them etc.

Part of the reason you will find gaps in various bits are mainly to do with the design of the cabin, A pillars, rear view mirrors and that little thing called legislation that dictates what you can and can't do.

At this time of the year, all cars suffere from gaps. I've got £200,000 of Bentley in the workshop at the moment and with the sun where it is, even it sufferes from glare through visor gaps. A right royal pain when trying to drive down the mile straight at speeds slightly above the legal 70mph limit!

The difference is, when you shout, "Where's my clean socks?", no-one answers

MGR stories, MGR help and advice all available at no extra cost !

The Two Sixties - it's a V8 thing ... Honorary Member and Puddle of V8/4/6cyl Knowledge et al.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Come see who I work for at www.vca.gov.uk without us, the world would be a right mess!
Rincewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 11:34   #8
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
I've got £200,000 of Bentley in the workshop at the moment
Show off

I saw what I think was a Bentley or RR estate the other day it looked absolutely stunning not been able to confirm or find any pics online since though.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 12:17   #9
Rincewind
Loves to post

MINI Cooper S Works (Superchardged not Turbo!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Show off

I saw what I think was a Bentley or RR estate the other day it looked absolutely stunning not been able to confirm or find any pics online since though.
Yeah, but to bring us back down to earth with a bump we've also got 2 road sweepers, a tractor and our very nasty BMW motorbike 650 P.O.S.!

You may have it was probably a one off rich Sultan that fancied a change and found some spare cash behind his sofa cushion and said, "Oi, I fancy a new fishing wagon! - make me one!"

The difference is, when you shout, "Where's my clean socks?", no-one answers

MGR stories, MGR help and advice all available at no extra cost !

The Two Sixties - it's a V8 thing ... Honorary Member and Puddle of V8/4/6cyl Knowledge et al.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Come see who I work for at www.vca.gov.uk without us, the world would be a right mess!
Rincewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 14:38   #10
Rob Bell
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDTi +

Will probably have another pop at trying to track down a pair of illuminated R75 sunvisors for our ZT after my exams are over in December... along with sourcing that darn cruise control loom and auto-dimming rear view mirror! LOL

Oh, and the heated seat loom would be nice too.

And a whole host of other stuff too!
Rob Bell is offline   Reply With Quote