Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th March 2018, 11:16   #11
Ginger Teddy
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer conn SE Auto

Default HGF failure

HI Guys, I have spoken to Mike at MJSAUTOANDMARINE.CO.UK and described the symptoms of the issue I had and he says it would be the HGF syndrome , and doubtful the turbo had failed, so I have decided to have it repaired and having cambelt replaced at same time as it was last done in 2011 , so playing safe and it`s such a nice and up until this problem reliable car and only done 66k, ten I`ve done in 5 years of my ownership, so Mike is coming to do the job in about three weeks.So thanks to all you Guys for your advice and being given several contacts ,so hopefully will be back on the road in my 75 shortly,Regards Paul
Ginger Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2018, 20:28   #12
Mikejaytee
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourers x 2.

I would say it's great news that you've decided to have the car repaired. The 1.8 Turbo, especially in automatic form, makes for a genuinely wonderful car when running as it should. Having had a working life driving Jaguars every day, including many V12s, I would say that the Rover 75/MG-ZT is easily as refined, smooth and drive-able. It is also relatively economical, and best of all, very simple to work on. Replacing a head gasket is a straightforward job and as long as it's done properly should last for many years once done; ( providing proper maintenance and checks in the meantime, e.g. coolant levels ).

I always look forward to a drive in either one of my 75s, and am always newly impressed by the performance and refinement, particularly of the Turbo model. It's just amazing, and surprisingly will cruise at 70mph at lower rpm than a 6 litre V12 XJS. ( Or any other speed come to that, which is remarkable ).

Regarding the Head Gasket replacement ( IMHO and based on my own experience ), it's worth having the head skimmed if there's any doubt at all about its 'straightness', and also worth fitting a stainless steel shim between the head and the block face. I've always used a high quality 'elastomer' gasket, and have subsequently had no problems whatsoever. Others will no doubt have differing opinions, but I have found this approach absolutely reliable, and it works for me. The K series engine is a great engine. It may have some issues in certain circumstances, but maintained well can easily give many tens of thousands of miles with full reliability.

These cars really are a 'best kept secret' in terms of value for money and refinement to those of us who have discovered them and cherish them. I'd say, let's keep as many of them as possible running and being used and enjoyed. ( At least for as long as we are still allowed to drive fossil fuelled cars! ) It's always very much more cost effective to repair a basically good car, than it is to replace it with anything else remotely worth having.

Best regards,

Mike.
Mikejaytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2018, 21:16   #13
MDMH757
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejaytee View Post
I would say it's great news that you've decided to have the car repaired. The 1.8 Turbo, especially in automatic form, makes for a genuinely wonderful car when running as it should. Having had a working life driving Jaguars every day, including many V12s, I would say that the Rover 75/MG-ZT is easily as refined, smooth and drive-able. It is also relatively economical, and best of all, very simple to work on. Replacing a head gasket is a straightforward job and as long as it's done properly should last for many years once done; ( providing proper maintenance and checks in the meantime, e.g. coolant levels ).

I always look forward to a drive in either one of my 75s, and am always newly impressed by the performance and refinement, particularly of the Turbo model. It's just amazing, and surprisingly will cruise at 70mph at lower rpm than a 6 litre V12 XJS. ( Or any other speed come to that, which is remarkable ).

Regarding the Head Gasket replacement ( IMHO and based on my own experience ), it's worth having the head skimmed if there's any doubt at all about its 'straightness', and also worth fitting a stainless steel shim between the head and the block face. I've always used a high quality 'elastomer' gasket, and have subsequently had no problems whatsoever. Others will no doubt have differing opinions, but I have found this approach absolutely reliable, and it works for me. The K series engine is a great engine. It may have some issues in certain circumstances, but maintained well can easily give many tens of thousands of miles with full reliability.

These cars really are a 'best kept secret' in terms of value for money and refinement to those of us who have discovered them and cherish them. I'd say, let's keep as many of them as possible running and being used and enjoyed. ( At least for as long as we are still allowed to drive fossil fuelled cars! ) It's always very much more cost effective to repair a basically good car, than it is to replace it with anything else remotely worth having.
Totally in agreement..... love my ztt 1.8t.... definitely the best car I have owned... I intend keeping mine as long as possible.... spent a small fortune on it though including a £1400 lpg conversion (paid off now, over last 2 years), recently done r53 handbrake mod, new rear calipers and new discs and pads all round.... recently got through MOT cost me £50 on minor stuff... next jobs lower engine mount, rear shock replacement, and will need to replace rear suspension arms soon I reckon.

Maurice

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
MDMH757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2018, 08:43   #14
Mikejaytee
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourers x 2.

It's good to hear how these cars are appreciated... Once driven never forgotten!

I ran a number of Jaguars on LPG for many years, and these conversions made the V12 engined cars surprisingly economical to run as daily drivers. Even though there was a slight loss of outright power, ( though barely significant in a V12 ), the engines always ran more smoothly and quietly on LPG, and this is an achievement in a V12 as you can barely hear them run anyway. I would think that the 1.8T also benefits from the LPG conversion in terms of quiet and smooth running, so it's a modification worth considering if a car is intended for long term ownership. One other benefit that I found with LPG is that the engine oil stays very much cleaner over longer periods of time; something that is good for the engine and also means that oil changes can be less frequent, depending upon personal preference..

Best regards,

Mike.
Mikejaytee is offline   Reply With Quote