Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th June 2007, 09:22   #11
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

I'm looking to fit a towbar, purely to fit the bikerack onto, and was thinking about a removeable one - do they all involve cutting the bumper? Even if the cut's underneath and can't be seen, I go with Keith, and would not be happy to cut it.

I have seen traditional fixed ball types on ebay, cutting not needed, but rather fancied a swan neck type. Anyone know of a swan neck type where I don't have to cut the bumper?

For the electrics, I think I'll go with OEM, but as it's unlikely I'll actually be towing, would disabling the parking sensors be needed (unless the bikes activated it, but then it would only be in reverse?)

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Malcolm
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 17:32   #12
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

There is already a cutout to accommodate any fixed OEM towbar on the 75 / ZT. To fit the detachable requires increasing the size of the existing cutout by a small amount. This in no way diminishes the integrity of the bumper or inteferes with the fixings. It cannot be seen unless you look from below.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 18:22   #13
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

The one I have fitted is a Swan neck and fits in the existing gap under the bumper between the two fixing screws, it has dual electrics.

If you go for the dual electric version with the removable bar you have to remove about a 3" x 4" piece of the underside of the bumper on each side of the existing opening to accommodate the release mechanism etc and that leaves a fairly narrow strip of plastic going to each fixing screw.

As shown in this pic
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 20:59   #14
black olive
I really should get out more.......

260 SE vin 214 ( last mark 1 260 )

correct, there isnt a lot of meat left holding the location screw on :SHOCKED:

on the plus side the fixed part of the bracket and the electrics are totally invisible and tucked up out of the way when not in use
black olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 23:37   #15
Rovernut
Loves to post

R75 Conn Tourer, R8 Tourer, R8 Cabby

Default Reversing sensor switch

I reverse my caravan quite a long way to get into my drive, and tthe noise from the reverse sensor gets quite annoying!

Is there a quick way to disarm it with a dashboard switch or similar?

Chris
Old 12th June 2007, 07:49   #16
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

I would have thought a wire tapped into the gearbox-mounted switch to a dash-mounted switch would be simplest.

Two problems maybe -

1. It would also switch off the reversing lights (which probably wouldn't be a concern as they only light up the caravan and could be better not on anyway) and

2. The danger of forgetting to switch it back on. Can't think of a circuit to light a warning lamp when power's off, but I'm sure it's possible
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 15:53   #17
Hampton Caught
Loves to post

ex MG ZT-T (sob!), Rover 25 and TR7 dhc pilot, but not all at the same time!

Keith,

"What it does not do which surprises me is bleep with the indicators I thought all modern tow bars incorporated an audible sounder."

The 'rules of the road' state there must be either an audible OR a visible warning to warn the driver that the indicators are working. I understand that the OEM wiring loom enables a warning light to shine on the dashboard (central warning light panel) rather than give you a beep. Yours should do this!

I know which I prefer, and it's not the infernal beeping I get from my set up (Witter bar and a third party electrical box of tricks) . The parking sensors sound off all the time too, so would heartily recommend anyone going for the genuine MGR parts.

With my tourer, I find it handy to open up the rear window when reversing to the caravan and SWMBO can give me directions over the din of the reversing sensors.

I hope that fly isn't life-size as it appears on my monitor

Steve
Hampton Caught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 16:09   #18
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Oh a new light to play with
I didn't notice on Sunday so will check next time I connect it up, cheers
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 17:18   #19
rover
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

[QUOTE=baxlin;65211]I'm looking to fit a towbar, purely to fit the bikerack onto, and was thinking about a removeable one - do they all involve cutting the bumper? Even if the cut's underneath and can't be seen, I go with Keith, and would not be happy to cut it.

I have seen traditional fixed ball types on ebay, cutting not needed, but rather fancied a swan neck type. Anyone know of a swan neck type where I don't have to cut the bumper?
Any ideas anyone?

I have the Witter Detachable fitted to my Saloon & there is no modification at all to the Bumper.Declined to have the Rover electrics fitted based on the price
rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 21:38   #20
Alex30013k
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon 2.0 CDTi Conn Se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post

Alex I think you are thinking of Mayflies they fly around together can't say I have seen any Dragon flies doing the same though.
Oh Yes they do...

Alex30013k is offline   Reply With Quote