Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st November 2017, 17:08   #1
RoyalBlue75
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Brake problem - Mk1 75 2.0 V6 / Auto / Connie

Hello, would anyone be able to help with an obscure brake problem?

Last Jan my 75 failed the MOT on the brakes - had been working fine but the day I took it in I could tell there was something wrong - hard pedal, poor response and a strange vibration from the brakes. Servo was diagnosed and replaced with a new one.

During the summer I noticed that the pedal had got a bit harder again – recently became very hard, way too much pressure needed to stop the car moving when drive was engaged, so took it back again. Garage checked everything out, couldn’t find anything wrong but suggested a ‘lazy servo’. Replaced Servo again (new one came from Rimmers), brakes bled, pads checked, pressure tested. Now a lot better – the hard pedal has gone – but they agree with me that it isn’t right even if it would pass the MOT. The pedal travels too far before there is a firm response from the brakes. I have another 75 so can compare – on the other vehicle the response is almost immediate and only the lightest touch activates the brakes firmly.

The garage look after a lot of older vehicles and the mechanic trained with Rover, they have a good reputation so I think they are genuinely stumped. I’m also interested in why the other new Servo may have developed problems and if some underlying fault will gradually do for the new one (again?).

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks

Nigel
RoyalBlue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2017, 17:51   #2
Fusilier
Moderator / RS North East

MG ZT T 180,MGF Freestyle, Jaguar XKR Convertible and XF

Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalBlue75 View Post
Hello, would anyone be able to help with an obscure brake problem?

Last Jan my 75 failed the MOT on the brakes - had been working fine but the day I took it in I could tell there was something wrong - hard pedal, poor response and a strange vibration from the brakes. Servo was diagnosed and replaced with a new one.

During the summer I noticed that the pedal had got a bit harder again – recently became very hard, way too much pressure needed to stop the car moving when drive was engaged, so took it back again. Garage checked everything out, couldn’t find anything wrong but suggested a ‘lazy servo’. Replaced Servo again (new one came from Rimmers), brakes bled, pads checked, pressure tested. Now a lot better – the hard pedal has gone – but they agree with me that it isn’t right even if it would pass the MOT. The pedal travels too far before there is a firm response from the brakes. I have another 75 so can compare – on the other vehicle the response is almost immediate and only the lightest touch activates the brakes firmly.

The garage look after a lot of older vehicles and the mechanic trained with Rover, they have a good reputation so I think they are genuinely stumped. I’m also interested in why the other new Servo may have developed problems and if some underlying fault will gradually do for the new one (again?).

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks

Nigel
Nigel

if pedal is travelling to far before you get any pressure then I believe that you have got air in the system, suspect it is trapped in master cylinder, and the best option and only option is to get one of the T4 Guru's to bleed if via a T4 session, to get rid of all the air from the master cylinder

Nearest T4 operator I believe is PhilT4, who is based in Milton Keynes
Stu

Project Gruple http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=213155

Last edited by Fusilier; 21st November 2017 at 17:53..
Fusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2017, 18:37   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
I’m also interested in why the other new Servo may have developed problems ...
Nigel, you are not going to like the answer to this question for the following reason:
Quote:
... the mechanic trained with Rover, they have a good reputation ..
It's because the servo was not the problem in the first place.

In your shoes I would be looking at the vacuum supply, and its non-return valve, to the servo. I would also consider whether the brake fluid needs renewing (hard pedal can mean water absorption as brake fluid is hygroscopic) and bleed the system myself. T4 should not be required since the default condition is that all hydraulic lines are open unless the ABS activates.

Simon
Old 21st November 2017, 20:55   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

I agree with Simon. The servo was not the problem in the first place as a hard pedal means you weren't pulling enough vacuum in it.

Two servos later you still have that poor vacuum leak that needs to be fixed.

That soggy pedal is as others have said, you have air in the system.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2017, 21:11   #5
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Nigel, you are not going to like the answer to this question for the following reason:

It's because the servo was not the problem in the first place.

In your shoes I would be looking at the vacuum supply, and its non-return valve, to the servo. I would also consider whether the brake fluid needs renewing (hard pedal can mean water absorption as brake fluid is hygroscopic) and bleed the system myself. T4 should not be required since the default condition is that all hydraulic lines are open unless the ABS activates.

Simon

Except that if you do have air in the system that won't come out with a normal bleed procedure then do bleed with T4 - it'll be much more effective at both clearing out old brake fluid and also at making sure that all the air gets expelled from the system.

Onto the replacement Servo - it's clearly dubious that the first replacement was necessary. But what is clear is that a brake servo should not fail for any reason other than a manufacturing defect or fitting error after less than a year. Most of the cars in the club will be on the original brake servo after a decade and half. Certainly if the garage wants to blame it again then I think that they ought to be replacing it free of charge (assuming the same garage). As already said the most likely culprits for the hard pedal are vaccuum problems so make sure the pipes and non-return valve are replaced and that the vacuuum pump itself is properly tested.

One other question has anyone actually inspected the calipers and pads for proper operation?

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2017, 22:21   #6
RoyalBlue75
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Thank you everyone who's replied so far. I know the calipers and pads were checked.

The first servo had a hairline crack in the diaphragm, but may be there's more than one issue here? Perhaps it's the orher things they did when replacing it for a second time that helped rather than the servo itself?
I plan to take it in again this week so I'll be raising the useful suggestions from you all. Thanks again.

Nigel
RoyalBlue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2017, 07:29   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
The first servo had a hairline crack in the diaphragm ..
That's just supposition by the garage Nigel. They would have had to break open the servo to make that diagnosis and that will not have been done.

I would not return to that garage. In which area of London are you? Can you take the car up the M1 to Milton Keynes to see Phil-T4?

Simon