Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th November 2019, 18:01   #1
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Default Lemforder Drop links U/S

Just to add to the plethora of 'they don't make things like they used to 'threads in regards to drop links.

New Lemforder drop link just 12 months old, seven and a half thousand miles failed yesterday.

It seems that we now have to regard Drop links as consumables just like oil and filters. To be changed once a year if they even last that long. Which reading other threads they quite often don't.

I've read all the advice about filling syringes with grease, peeling back rubber gaiters and squeezing some extra in.

But at the end of the day I'm just a strapper who drives a car I'm never going to be squeezing grease into the rubber boot of new parts I just buy a part and give to a mechanic to fit who likewise isn't going to be doing that.

it's an absolute joke, and from my observations of comments on here none of the brands appear to be any better than the others.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2019, 18:17   #2
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Unfortunately I totally agree, for the last 4 yr I have purchased the cheapest available and fitted them just before the MOT. Speed limits around here have all dropped to 20mph and this is backed up by ridiculously high/steep speed bumps which if you are travelling at more than 10mph send a jar through the car, driving slower just annoys everyone, it makes the roads almost undriveable

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2019, 09:51   #3
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
Just to add to the plethora of 'they don't make things like they used to 'threads in regards to drop links.

New Lemforder drop link just 12 months old, seven and a half thousand miles failed yesterday.

It seems that we now have to regard Drop links as consumables just like oil and filters. To be changed once a year if they even last that long. Which reading other threads they quite often don't.

I've read all the advice about filling syringes with grease, peeling back rubber gaiters and squeezing some extra in.

But at the end of the day I'm just a strapper who drives a car I'm never going to be squeezing grease into the rubber boot of new parts I just buy a part and give to a mechanic to fit who likewise isn't going to be doing that.

it's an absolute joke, and from my observations of comments on here none of the brands appear to be any better than the others.
Couldn't agree more - I've just had supposedly genuine Unipart ones fail within a year, and that was with extra grease pumped in. I asked my local garage to get me some replacement, and they sent me these Mogg replacement.s Never heard of the make, but they look good, and the top thread is actually a bit shorter than the originals, so you can get a ring spanner over them to do them up. Only time will tell if they are up to the job.

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MG and drop link 11.19 002.jpg (57.9 KB, 22 views)
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2019, 10:34   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Speed limits around here have all dropped to 20mph and this is backed up by ridiculously high/steep speed bumps which if you are travelling at more than 10mph send a jar through the car, driving slower just annoys everyone ...
Do you think that's why they are failing Dave? By that I mean not slowing down for speed humps. I hate them as much as anyone else does but I find that it's very rare for a following driver to display annoyance. The few that do overtake me in between speed bumps then go crashing over them and I reflect at the price they're going to pay for suspension repairs and early tyre replacement.

By the way, the 20 mph speed limit seems to be a national thing. Local Authorities like us to believe in their safety credentials but the evidence suggests that it's a dictate from central government.

Simon
Old 19th November 2019, 21:34   #5
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I have meyle HD, been on a good 2 and a half years. And about 20k miles.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2019, 10:00   #6
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Do you think that's why they are failing Dave? By that I mean not slowing down for speed humps. I hate them as much as anyone else does but I find that it's very rare for a following driver to display annoyance. The few that do overtake me in between speed bumps then go crashing over them and I reflect at the price they're going to pay for suspension repairs and early tyre replacement.

By the way, the 20 mph speed limit seems to be a national thing. Local Authorities like us to believe in their safety credentials but the evidence suggests that it's a dictate from central government.

Simon
I think that generally the state of the roads along with the poorly built speed bumps have quite a say in the failing of these parts, imagine if we all drove around on super flat surfaces, the suspension would have little to do when it comes to absorbing lumps and bumps. I think I have read somewhere that speed bumps need to conform to height and angle limitations, not as it seems a ton of tarmac dumped out the back of a flatbed, flattened down with a whacker and a white line painted on it!

It is also my opinion that the current plethora of replacement parts available are nowhere near as robust as original manufactured.

A different approach to how we drive on the current condition of our roads will undoubtedly extend the life of even inferior parts.

As for impatient drivers, tend to be as you say younger drivers who are always in a hurry to get somewhere making as much noise as possible in the process. Don't get me wrong, I am no slouch but there is a time and a place.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2019, 10:31   #7
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Iv had Moog and 6 other various ones. All poor. Bought genuine ones of Matt DMGRS and so far so good.... Just had a look on his site and I carnt find them. Maybe they all went.