Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th November 2019, 13:45   #1
Fifer
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE + 1947 Morris 8

Unhappy So much for BT's data protection

A few days ago I received monthly a bill from BT for my broadband connection, which was strange as I pay quarterly. My name and address was on the envelope, but inside was my name and telephone number, the full address of another chap in Fife (but not mine), his telephone number, mobile number, and BT bundle details. I went to my on-line account, and sure enough both my details and his were all there.

This started around eighteen months ago, and on first reporting it I was told by BT that it was impossible. My first and last names are the same as his, my phone code is 01674 whereas his is 01764. Apart from that nothing else is similar.

I log in with a Yahoo account, and he logs in with his BT account, so there should be no connection whatsoever.

I gave him a call and told him about the latest bill, he logged into his account, and could only see his own details. It was supposed to have been rectified when it first happened, but all that actually transpired was that he could no longer see my details, but I could still see his, though not every time I logged in. As I still get paper bills I rarely log in anyway.

A BT engineer said that it should have been sorted properly a year and a half ago, but it wasn't. The other Jim is now transferring his land line, mobile phone, and business broadband over to a new provider.

I dread to think what could have been the outcome if our details had ended up in the wrong hands.

So much for data protection - and no explanation as to how it could have happened, or an apology either.

Jim
Fifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2019, 14:12   #2
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Report it to the CEO

Here's his email address

[email protected]
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2019, 15:19   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Greg View Post
Report it to the CEO

Here's his email address

[email protected]
No, report it to the information commission ers office. I dont have their details at hand right now, but they will be found on google.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2019, 15:20   #4
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
No, report it to the information commission ers office. I dont have their details at hand right now, but they will be found on google.

Even better idea
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2019, 06:53   #5
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post

Yes - this is the best option. Also submit a Subject Access Request (google this - info is on the Information commissioners website along with an example letter) to BT requesting full information disclosure as to how this breach of Data Protection rules happened.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2019, 17:22   #6
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

My wife was sent a letter by one of the Hospitals in Oxford recently, it gave details of her upcoming operation and it surprised her as she had no knowledge of any operation.

She contacted her doctor and the receptionist just said ignore it as ''it happens all the time''

Apparently as long as the name is correct they will send out the letter with out checking if the patient number or even the address is correct .

When she asked about the person who should be having the operation she was told ''don't worry about it''.

No wonder the NHS is in such a mess. What would happen if the person was waiting for cancer treatment or something else that could shorten there life?
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote