Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th November 2019, 09:59   #1
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Default Smart meter pressure

Just been checking possible supplier pricing and although the smart meter is an option (ie you do not have to install a smart meter in spite of all the governmental hype) some of the best prices require you to accept such a meter.

I remain a rebel, but it looks as though "someone" is trying to force me!
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2019, 10:32   #2
solarsailor
Posted a thing or two

75 Saloon 1.8T Club SE

Personally I think it's wrong that energy companies are allowed to offer the lowest tariffs only to customers who have smart meters. In my view that's bordering on discrimination. There's nothing wrong with having one fitted - it is free after all - but if you do decide to have one then insist it's a SMETS2 version (second generation meter). The first generation (SMETS1) meters are not always cross compatible so if you change suppliers in the future it's possible that you'll have to go back to taking manual readings. I believe there are plans to upgrade the original meters, but how long it will be before that happens is anyone's guess. By the end of this century perhaps?

This vehicle was born on Wednesday June 4th 2003 @ 08:24:38
This vehicle was the 73,905th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 1,862nd 75 1.8 T Club SE to be made out of 3,980
This vehicle was the 6,856th 75 in Wedgewood Blue to be made out of 7,515 Wedgewood Blue 75s
solarsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2019, 11:55   #3
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts
Default Solar panels

We have solar panels and have been strongly advised by those who thought a smart meter would go well with Solar Panels that this is not the case at all!!

Horror stories of how smart meters cannot cope with the ebb a flow of electricity in such a house abound.

We get regular phone calls from the Smart Meter companies saying they have spoken to our supplier and now need a date to come round a fit a smart meter.

So they get told we don’t want one because we have solar panels and asked who was it at Utility Warehouse (our provider) that said we wanted one?

At that point the backtracking is cringeworthy.

So yes - do watch out for these cowboys - if you want a SM - fine. But do not be fooled into thinking you have to have one.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2019, 12:01   #4
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Moving house soon. No intention of having one at all. My latest "new deals" from Eon had lots of them almost saying that certain details had an obligation to have a smart meter. Looks like they are applying pressure on customers to have one.
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2019, 12:28   #5
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Solarsailor,

They might be free at the time of supply, but it is us, not the government who are paying for them through our energy bills.

Once the variable price vs. time is applied in the future (not enough supply available), I bet the screaming will really kick in. Sorry its 18.00 everybody is cooking their evening meal, price is higher because of demand, use your washing machine overnight for a cheaper deal and so on.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2019, 14:29   #6
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Do smart meters actually save the supplier money? I pop out 5 yds, read the meter and submit it online, that doesn't cost them anything surely? It isn't as if a bloke has to visit and read it! Now, if they offered a substantial sum for me to agree on a smart meter then that may be worth considering, it is after all, the supplier who wants one fitted.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2019, 14:32   #7
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
Do smart meters actually save the supplier money? I pop out 5 yds, read the meter and submit it online, that doesn't cost them anything surely? It isn't as if a bloke has to visit and read it! Now, if they offered a substantial sum for me to agree on a smart meter then that may be worth considering, it is after all, the supplier who wants one fitted.
I quite agree. Problem is we are all paying for the darned things whether we have them or not.
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2019, 16:25   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

cant fit one, not enough room in the meter cupboard.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2019, 16:31   #9
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

I was told by a BG engineer who serviced our boiler that it will soon be compulsory to have one and was pressured by the guy to have one - I didn't
Having checked if it will be compulsory soon I discovered that it is nothing of the sort, no doubt it will be soon in the name of climate change so I called to BG to report engineer trying to pressure me into having one. I guess they get commission if a customer has one fitted.
Full of apologies on behalf of the engineer but still asked me to consider it.
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2019, 16:33   #10
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Got told by my Supplier when I applied for the "Best tariff" that I had to have a Smart meter otherwise I couldn't have the lowset tariff.

I told them Don't want one and I want the best tariff, they were having none of it ..

So I told them I'll have none too....

told them to ..... Off and switched supposedly saving couple hundred a year ... we will see
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote