Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 28th June 2014, 10:12   #51
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Don't let the " Cliqueyness" and occasional "bitchiness" of some aspects of this forum get you down .

I've been on here for a long while and there are often replies from some peeps including the long standing members, that really get "****" me off and I really have to bit my tongue ( well keep fingers off the keyboard ) Otherwise I would fall foul if the rules and the cliquey fraternty.

Plus it serves little purpose in creating/continuing friction/arguments on a public forum other than to satisfy some kind of inflated ego . ( ooeer have I just done that .. nah!)

The written/typed word is nowhere near as good as that spoken with the
intended inferences, so sometimes the replies can be mis-interpreted

But a few of the members on here are held in high esteem, and often quite rightly so, but from their attitude on here , this esteem is greatly devalued in my eyes by a lot of their replies.

well thats me on the blacklist..

Chris ( having a contraversal moment)
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

Last edited by Dragrad; 8th December 2014 at 01:06.. Reason: Contravention of Club Rules - FAQ Rule 2
Old 28th June 2014, 10:15   #52
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscan.eu View Post
Hmm. Ron is kind of forcing my hand a bit here. I guess I'll have to tell the actual truth. The truth is that I found this particular thread a bit stressful and disappointing. To spend such a lot of time working on something and then to have it slammed because it's not a T4, or, "just a code reader" was hard. I didn't get much sleep that night which was the night before the demo day.

The other problem with this thread is that it makes a suggestion (not an actual promise, but it could be interpreted that way) of a "virtual T4" to the general forum readership. I could be wrong, but I really don't think that this is going to happen. I'm sorry guys but most of you are not going to get a virtual T4; that's my opinion.

I don't have a problem with the forum as a whole. There are clearly some great and generous people on here, and a few potential customers too . In fact I'm not even going to have a problem with any clique. They have their opinion and I have mine and that's just fine. I have been on the Internet long enough to know the rules of these things. You keep it factual and professional and not personal. I have decided not to get into a conflict and so I just won't.

I also am aware that as of today I am now running a business as I am going to receive a pile of cash to do this, but I haven't paid for trader status here. I will have to keep a lower profile. I thank the moderators for their tolerance so far.

I also need to be clear, I am not doing this out of charity or love of MG Rover cars. I wanted to have a go at designing and creating something that people would want and which would make me some pocket money. That's the satisfaction (and ego I suppose) that engineers, designers, developers or whatever crave. I needed to sell 3500 to break even and now I have gone over that and will be able to build up some stock. I don't think I deserve a medal. This is business and I am getting what I wanted and that's enough.

I actually think that this product can co-exist with the services offered by the T4 experts. It does only do error codes and live data, and it is a safe product for a hobbyist to use. It just saves you having to go to a professional mechanic with their 2 grand tool every time a little fault occurs. If you want to do something more serious you are still going to have to visit a T4 guy, and that's probably a good thing because they have the expertise to not brick your whole car which is a risk as understand it.

So hopefully we can all get along.

Thanks Philip
Well said.
Ron
Old 28th June 2014, 11:39   #53
pscan.eu
Regular poster

Peugeot 604/Jag X350

I also want to state that I had one of the people on this forum who offers professional T4 services contacted me privately and gave me a lot of brilliant and helpful information, and, offered me access to his T4 if I need it to help me to develop my tool.

I thought that was pretty generous.

I won't say who it was as it was a private conversation.

Please don't make assumptions about these guys because they are all different people with different attitudes and I am sure that they offer a great service. If not I'm sure the forum would be full of complaints and it clearly isn't.
Old 28th June 2014, 12:15   #54
humphshumphs
I really should get out more.......

No longer a Rover Owner

Location: As far east as you can go in the UK and not get wet feet.

So from what I have read (and re-read a few times), this bit of kit will read and clear any stored error codes. Are the error codes in english or just a number?

As for the live-data, this is a display of what the ecu is receiving from the sensors?

If the live-data is what the sensors are sending to the ecu, are we able to find out what the range should be within, or do we just look at the numbers and go 'ooo' or 'ahhh' ??

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.
Old 28th June 2014, 14:45   #55
Jumper75
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT Tourer

I think this thread has been rather confused by 2 Phils both talking about their different product at the same time instead of just staying on Phil Pscan's product which would have made for a much happier and more constructive discussion.

It seems to me that there are several systems out there which will do a lot of what the T4 does, mostly in the £2000+ price range and none of which as far as I know capable of adjusting programmable options (body and lighting control, etc), nor can they unlock the 'learning mode' in the ecu to code in new products, at least not on the 75/ZT. If the Pscan product can do the same as these other systems at a more affordable price, then I can't see a situation in which most of us won't want it, it should do well.

I'm also keen to point out that none of these tools are a magic bullet, the ECU of a car has far more advanced self diagnostic capability than most other programmable control systems you're likely to encounter, but readings are often misinterpreted by professional mechanics, and result in a lot of replacing of modules and sensors which really just needed their contacts cleaned or maybe a broken wire replaced. Even with the main dealer systems, mechanics still end up doing 'diagnosis by substitution', as they are not inclined to dealing with electronic systems. So given the choice between buying a T4 or a multimeter, you would be better off buying the multimeter and getting skilled with it first.

As for the live data readings (in response to Richards question), yes you have to be able to interpret these and assess what the results could mean. Most modern ECUs will report an out of range reading on some sensors, none will go to more than 1 level deep in their diagnostics, that is that they will show single faults only, they won't assess the faults and compile into a conclusive statement, so knowing that sensors A, B, and C are fed from the same part of the loom and their failing together is 1 faulty plug still needs your own diagnostic skill.

I'm not saying these systems aren't as useful as you think, because they are fantastic and well worth having. Just that the basic skills and tools come first.

Now I'll get back to driving my old land rover, it has a battery, some wires, and does what it's told

Last edited by Jumper75; 28th June 2014 at 14:47..
Old 28th June 2014, 15:44   #56
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscan.eu View Post
I also am aware that as of today I am now running a business as I am going to receive a pile of cash to do this, but I haven't paid for trader status here. I will have to keep a lower profile. I thank the moderators for their tolerance so far.

I needed to sell 3500 to break even and now I have gone over that and will be able to build up some stock. I don't think I deserve a medal. This is business and I am getting what I wanted and that's enough.

Thanks Philip
We as moderators thank you for your honesty here Philip, but as a free 'registered user' and with your own admission that you are now running as a business, that does rather force our hand also.

You have, courtesy of Roverron's link received huge amounts of exposure here and so I must ask you if you intend to become a forum trader as per club rules with someone who is using the forum's platform for commercial gain.

We are here to ensure a level playing field for those who use our club to conduct business, up until this point there has been no reference to you selling directly. Ron states on his site that he does not stock your units, that's the grey area. If you are in business with Ron, and it is he who will exclusively make available the product as a purchasable item directly via his website, then as an existing trader that's acceptable (providing you are not then found supplying it directly to members here yourself of course).

If Ron is not going to be the sole outlet for you to our members, and you intend to deal direct with our membership, you will need to become a trader with us now. Please PM me with the intended direction you are planning to take and we can act accordingly.

Once again, and as you have acknowledged on thread yourself, we have let the progress of your system develop in open forum as it has potential merit for our members. But as I hope you'll appreciate, we must uphold the club rules on selling also.
Old 31st October 2014, 15:23   #57
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

So, it has been several months since the last post in this thread, has anyone bought a pscan diagnostic tool yet?
Ken.
Old 23rd November 2014, 13:58   #58
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Philip,

I have a 2005 CDT (i.e R75 diesel) that connects fine to the T4 but will not communicate to the ELM327 or generic handheld code/live data readers. By contrast my 2004 R75 1.8 does.

I was looking to buy an SP ACR4 but if your product connects to my CDT I will happily buy it. I am not looking to replace the esteemed T4 operators but more to beat my CDT into submisson and have a play.

I see that you are in Ruislip. I come down to the Heathrow area quite often and if you would like, can meet up with you in or around Ruislip so that we can try your kit on the car. If it is successful, I will buy it.

I will share my experience with your product on this forum so hopefully it may help other MGR owners to assess its potential value to them, especially if they have a stubborn R75 like mine.

Finally, may I apologise for the flavour of the enthusiasm displayed by some of my fellow MGR enthusiasts. We are mostly a harmless bunch, despite our strange behaviour at times. It goes with our dedication to the marque!

Drop me a PM if you are interested.

Thanks,

Maninder.
Old 23rd November 2014, 15:22   #59
pscan.eu
Regular poster

Peugeot 604/Jag X350

The forum mods were kind enough to let me publicise the project on here in the early stages which I appreciate, but now that we are a fully commercial company I can't comment on here without paying trader fees.

There are many different Rover and MG forums and so we had to choose where to pay trader fees and where not to. The product is not specifically a 75/ZT one and so we didn't pay them here.

I don't have any problems with this forum or the mods, however do think I need to explain why I can't respond as people might expect.
Old 24th November 2014, 07:47   #60
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

OK Philip, thanks for explaining your company's position and decision not to use the club platform to offer your product. I hope you have success in your endeavours elsewhere, but must now bring the thread here to a close for obvious reasons.
Closed Thread