Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th November 2010, 20:09   #21
bramblp
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post
I wrapped a strip of paper round a dud bulb (not too tight) and secured it with a few turns of masking tape. I now slide this over the new bulb, secure the electrical connection and then slide the paper tube off. I find this prevents my fingers from touching the glass when I am pushing the electrical connector onto the new bulb. I keep the paper tube with my spare bulbs for next time.
I presume you are not refeering to H7 bulbs as there is no reason to touch the glass on these when replacing

FYI, I replied to this post a while back with the following

"In 6 years of ownership using dipped headlights night and day so 90,000 miles with headlights on I have had to replace both bulbs up to twice a year, probably 20 bulbs by now, I now always carry several spares and because I have found no difference between cheap and expensive I now seek out the cheap whenever I can, Aldi & Lidil do them from time to time."

I should have mentioned that they were H7 bulbs
bramblp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 21:58   #22
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Smile which one's then.?

Hiya. Which are the best bulbs then... Anyone have any definite preferences./ Poppy.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 22:09   #23
eddiemc05
Gets stuck in

Mg zt ctdi

Any news on the xenon sticker?
Old 6th December 2010, 13:12   #24
r44712
Loves to post

ZT-T+ 135 & ZR+ 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Incensed View Post
I agree.
I didn't lose a single headlight bulb in 10 years with my 214Si, so I suspect they were the original bulbs (14 years, 90,000 miles). However, rear light bulbs were fairly frequent. I suspect this was down to corrosion of the contacts due to dampness.
Funny you should say that - my ZR is forever blowing brake bulbs (on the driver's side) and my ZT the drivers dipped - which blew within 5minutes of replacing the blighter!!! Grrr!!!
r44712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 10:46   #25
Rob Bell
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDTi +

A thread resurrection!

My MGF has never blown a bulb in 18 years and 111k miles - but the ZT seems to have an appetite for them

Last weekend I had to replace the dipped beam and side light bulb.

Curiously, the side light bulb blew straightaway as soon as I replaced it. I figured it was a duff one, so bought another 5W 12V bulb from Halfords, and replaced the dipped beam.

All seemed well.

Then on Saturday, within 2 minutes of having switched the lights on during a rain storm, both the recently dipped beam and side light bulbs had blown again.

Seems odd? I haven't had a chance to investigate further, but unless the bulbs are acting like a fuse on a shorted circuit, I cannot see why these bulbs are failing?

Any thoughts chaps? Thanks!
Rob Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 10:55   #26
johnandchris
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI

Chafed wiring loom. Wait till it is dark and open the bonnet. See if you can see any arcing. I could on mine. Loads of tape and a bit of foam, sorted.
Old 9th June 2014, 11:50   #27
Rob Bell
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDTi +

Thanks John - where under the bonnet did you see the problem? Sounds as though I am going to need to insert a sacrificial bulb to find the chaffed section of loom!
Rob Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 10:39   #28
Seafrost
Posted a thing or two

75 Connie SE 1.8 Manual Tourer

Rather than start a new thread, thought I would use this one, as its related.....

Osram H7 Nightbreakers.... useless !

Have just been reading the reviews on Amazon, and it appears I am not alone. These extra expensive bulbs appear to last 12 months if that, and all Osram can say is, pay to send them back to us and we can test them to see if faulty... think I will send mine to BBC Watchdog....

I barely use the 75... as we use the Meriva more, but both cars I fitted Osrams to, and both cars have blown the headlight bulbs early, the 75 more so. This is the second set now.

I do not recall a time, on previous cars, with older style bulbs where I replaced them so often, infact in most I do not think I ever did change a headlight bulb, it was mostly brake light bulbs or number plate light bulbs, which are cheap... but when you are paying a premium for supposedly Premium Bulbs, you do expect them to be lasting.

So does anyone know why modern bulbs appear to blow quicker?, does it have something to do with the "brighter light" even though I see no difference in my driveway between standard "cheap" h7, or Osram h7.... are they now manufactured to blow early, thus keeping these companies turning over a regular income?

It always appears to happen more so in the wet season as well, obviously when the lights are on more and the weather is colder.

Yet its not like the bulbs look old, rusty, wet etc, they are still in perfect condition... just blown inside !

Ok rant over,... after getting wet changing the 2nd bulb, which is not easy on either cars... Im off to find some cheaper replacements as sick of spending good money on something so faulty, and from a company who appear uninterested once sold.
Seafrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 10:52   #29
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

i allways use halfords heavy duty ones so far so good. well since last may.used in my old ztt without any issues.this is in a car where at this time of the year all of my driving is in the dark and in the summer half of my driving in the dark as i finish in the middle of the night or early morning
Old 8th January 2015, 11:50   #30
Seafrost
Posted a thing or two

75 Connie SE 1.8 Manual Tourer

Just to update incase anyone else is looking around for decent bulbs like me, It would appear from what i have been told so far from around various motoring websites, that the longest lasting bulbs appear to be Osram Ultra Life, 3 year guarantee.
These are not as bright as other bulbs they sell... as I suspect this is why they burn out far too early....... so will be ordering a set of these for the next time I need to replace some and see how I get on with them...
Seafrost is offline   Reply With Quote