Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th May 2011, 16:15   #1
rfenwick

Saloon 2.5 V6 Club

Default Overheating?

Hi everyone,

My Rover 75 developed a coolant leak which I failed to notice until the first warm day of this year, when the engine temperature alert came on in a queue of traffic - got it straight in to the garage who diagnosed a leaking thermostat and some corroded piping.

Within a few weeks, the leak was back. For the moment I am keeping the coolant topped up with water (not mixed with antifreeze). It doesn't need topping up very often - a cup full of water every couple of weeks.

I live in the country but was driving around town yesterday, and the fan (fast speed) was kicking in regularly in queueing traffic. When I parked up and put the thermostat in diagnostic mode the engine temp was about 118.

A few questions if I may. Is the fan kicking in to keep the engine cool on a 23 degrees C day normal? Should the fast fan sound that loud? (pretty similar to a hoover's volume) I suspect I know the answer already, but best to ask! At the moment I'm guessing the car is going to overheat regularly when we get up to 30 degree days.

R
rfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 16:18   #2
rfenwick

Saloon 2.5 V6 Club

Attaching a photo of what I have self-diagnosed as a return of the coolant leak - have verified it's not the aircon pipes or anything like that
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (130.1 KB, 42 views)
Old 8th May 2011, 16:19   #3
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

It sounds like your fan is only operating on fast speed. fan should come on at around 100 deg and stay on until 95. do a search on cooling fans loads to read 118 is FAR too hot.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 16:31   #4
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

is the fan running for a while after you have parked up ?, i would expect it too ,those temps it is reaching is getting too hot for the heads so heat soak will accure where the fan wll run on high speed to reduce the heat to the head . should sound like a hoover craft... as for the leak i would check all the hose`s and look around the clips to the hoe as they cut into the hose making it leak ,and its hard to see ... also check the coolant tanks cap...as the header tank is above where the leak looks like it is ...
Old 8th May 2011, 16:34   #5
Cymrudragon
I really should get out more.......

MGZTT2.5 V6 190+ SE 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfenwick View Post
Attaching a photo of what I have self-diagnosed as a return of the coolant leak - have verified it's not the aircon pipes or anything like that

coolent pipe leaking around expantion tank area, or rad...look at the bottom corners of the rad for a drip. also the metal pipe directly below the rad rusts so check there as well.....also as above expansion cap.... finaly i always seam to top my car up as well but this is due to small coolent tank coupled with high running tem of the kv6 , mainly due to short trips....etc..

Last edited by Cymrudragon; 8th May 2011 at 16:38..
Cymrudragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 18:12   #6
rfenwick

Saloon 2.5 V6 Club

Thanks for your help everyone - I'll get the car off to a garage who know what they're doing. The garage who did the last job expected it to be a 2 day job and kept the car for seven days
Old 8th May 2011, 18:27   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hi Rob,

For a 1999 V6 like yours (and mine) I reckon that the overheating is due to low and medium fan speed failure (leaving only the high speed which you've heard running). The small pool of coolant which you've photographed is probably normal ejection through the expansion tank overflow.

What has happened is that one of the earth brushes in your fan motor has worn to nothing. If you relish a mechanical and electrical challenge you can repair it for the price of 2 gallons of unleaded. The other option is a new fan motor assembly; either the MG Rover 2 speed equivalent or an aftermarket Kenlowe model. They'll cost you three digit sums.

I'd recommend that you delay sending your car to a garage until you've discussed your options with forum member Jules who will know more about Rover 75 fan motors than they do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfenwick View Post
Is the fan kicking in to keep the engine cool on a 23 degrees C day normal?
Yes, when the car is stationary.
Quote:
Should the fast fan sound that loud? (pretty similar to a Hoover's volume)
Fast speed, yes. Slow speed is respectably quiet.

Simon.

Last edited by SD1too; 8th May 2011 at 18:32..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 03:56   #8
scouseeric
Passed Away

75 contemporary se cdti

When you first took the car in and they diagnosed a thermostat leak and corroded pipes, did the garage do any repairs? It sounds like an airlock in the coolant on top of the fan fault.hth.

Eric
scouseeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 05:34   #9
rfenwick

Saloon 2.5 V6 Club

Hi - yes they did, a new thermostat and new piping. The suggestion about fans sounds very plausible - am I right in thinking that with the engine running and air conditioning on, if I peer through the bumper grill I should be able to see the fan spinning round (medium speed)? It wasn't spinning at all during a quick check yesterday with the aircon on.
Old 10th May 2011, 06:07   #10
Mr Edd
From the Horses Mouth

2012 Honda Oddessay and 1996 Ford Ranger Truck (Splash)

One place to check is under the expansion tank. Took Me a long time to figure where this slight leak was coming from...

Where possible replace all the old hose clips with Jubilee type ones.

Edd