Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th February 2007, 18:01   #31
MacRy

Rover 75

Met Mr Clive today and he diagnosed the petrol smell as a broken main breather pipe. I bought one for £6.21, fitted it myself in about two minutes flat and presto - no more petrol smell Well happy with that. Can't believe the previous owner had just wrapped some tape around the broken pipe insted of spending under a tenner and two minutes to fix it. Some people are lazy sods!

Clive also thinks that my throttle potentiometer is NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- so i've got a new one and will have a go at fitting that myself tomorrow to see if the old girl runs a bit smoother. Fingers crossed.

A big thanks to Mr Lates for putting me on to Clive and having him allay my fears that I hadn't bought a pup. Top blokes the pair of you!
MacRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2007, 19:01   #32
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

How did you manage to buy a pipe for that price :shock:

Clive is our "overspill" and is good old school techy.We swap work between us when the need arises such as your urgent fuel smells and is part of Lates600 future plans

Anyways I have spoken to Clive while your car was there and I think we have concluded the pot is up the swanny. If the pot replacement doesnt cure the vehicle ( dependent on how deep clive went ) you will then be into wiring / ecu checks. Let me know how you get on either way
Lates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2007, 19:27   #33
MacRy

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lates View Post
How did you manage to buy a pipe for that price :shock:

Clive is our "overspill" and is good old school techy.We swap work between us when the need arises such as your urgent fuel smells and is part of Lates600 future plans

Anyways I have spoken to Clive while your car was there and I think we have concluded the pot is up the swanny. If the pot replacement doesnt cure the vehicle ( dependent on how deep clive went ) you will then be into wiring / ecu checks. Let me know how you get on either way
If you think that's good wait till you hear how much I got the pot for........£42 Helps having a brother who is the parts manager at Allen Ford.

I'm going back to Clive even if the pot does work as i've got some very noisy clonking springs at the front and Clive reckons a bit of grease might help sort that out.
Old 20th February 2007, 21:39   #34
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

Top spring bushes are presently on back order.

memo to self: kick clives butt for pinching my clients
Old 21st February 2007, 07:47   #35
MacRy

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lates View Post
Top spring bushes are presently on back order.
Do you reckon the top spring bushes are the problem then? Would it be worth waiting for them to come in stock and swapping them out rather than going through the pain of lubing them and then having to pay to have them replaced at a later date?

Edit:

Wasn't the potentiator as I replaced that this evening and it is still running lumpy under acceleration and at 70mph ish. Bit annoying as I could have done with not spending the £42 buying one I reckon it's Clive's laptop with the problem as it lost the connection completely a couple of times, not just on the throttle.

On the plus side - i'm totally chuffed with myself for successfully installing a part without having an outcome of me running screaming whilst on fire

Last edited by MacRy; 21st February 2007 at 18:19..
Old 21st February 2007, 20:22   #36
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

I would be inclined to hang back for the replacement shock tops but the decision is yours really. If they get regreased and cleaned up its one invoice but a potential second if the noise re occurs.

I will hook up with Clive tomorrow to see if he can run some diags on another 75 this week to make some general comparissons.
Old 21st February 2007, 20:25   #37
MacRy

Rover 75

I take it shock tops are fairly expensive then? Clive said that they looked ok and the springs were just catching when the wheels turn. They make a god awful noise though which i'm sure is getting worse. I'm hopefully going to see clive again on Saturday to get them sorted and i'm sure he knows best.

Last edited by MacRy; 21st February 2007 at 20:29..
Old 21st February 2007, 20:28   #38
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

We could both be thinking in different directions here mate. If Clive thought it was the springs in the lower cups making the noise then there would be no need to replace the shock tops. When I catch him up tomorrow I will find out whether its the top or bottom causing concerns. I assumed it was the tops,sorry
Old 21st February 2007, 20:33   #39
MacRy

Rover 75

No worries. I assume nothing as I don't have a barking clue
Old 3rd March 2007, 19:38   #40
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

Macry any update after todays visit ?