Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th January 2019, 16:00   #101
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

To go back to the original question would I buy a 4x4? No, they've never really floated my boat. I don't really 'get' the appeal of them. I mean I've driven plenty of different ones, on road, off road, here and abroad so I like to think I've enough experience to know what they are like.

Despite that I can't see myself ever actually buying one.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2019, 16:32   #102
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Your post suggests that you think all the ‘other people’ are wrong, but not yourself. Why do you think people think that way about 4x4 vehicles?
No not at all, I don't think there is a right or wrong when it comes to what vehicle one choose's to drive.

But, there are those that think it is ok for someone to preach to another on what they should or shouldn't drive, and where to drive.

Like I said earlier, all vehicles made today are a lot bigger than they used to be, the SUV 4x4 sized vehicle is not even a 4x4 and still they are hated by many, but why? SUV's have no place in the country, they are not 4x4's, but yet they are discriminated against.

MPV's got a lot of flack years ago, even the T4/T5 owners did and still do. These VW T4/T5's are just a van, but the same haters don't like the fact that normal families choose to drive around in a posh utility type van. We all share the roads with the white van man don't we, basically no different than a SUV 4x4 sized vehicle, so what exactly is the problem?

I believe it all boils down to what represents wealth, and this is what creates that divide. If you drive a big posh thirsty car, SUV, 4x4 etc, you are always going to get those haters, and what does it all mean? Your success or their failure?

... and when some say about mum's on the school run thinking they own the roads in their 4x4 or SUV??? I'm sorry but I have to disagree. The same is said about us guys in our large gas guzzling car's, pot, kettle, black springs to mind.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with 4x4 vehicles, it is just the attitude they tend to engender in the driver. One of invincibility comes to mind. Bullying also comes to mind.
Its only human nature to perceive large objects in this way, it doesn't necessarily mean any invincibility, bullying is going on. The same could be said about your large bold blue print to be somewhat stating something that I'd rather not say, but its just my perception and I'm sure there is good reason.

Last edited by Dallas; 20th January 2019 at 17:09..
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2019, 18:02   #103
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
They are not 4x4 on Tarmac - you usually engage 4x4 via a differential lock when going off road. Some have 1st gear as a “crawler” gear - and others have a upper and lower range gearbox.

So in normal driving - they are two wheel drive.

The above is a bit simplistic because many have things like traction control, Hill descent control or limited slip differentials that add value to the basics of how you achieve all-wheel-drive.
but still why 4 wheel drive, make them 2 wheel drive and save the build cost. so many don't go off road and use 4wd capability. perhaps 2 wheel drive wont sell, I don't know

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2019, 18:13   #104
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
This is certainly not restricted to SUV’s or 4x4’s. I would suggest Volvo drivers are the worst when it comes to “bullying antics” on the road.

I would add women Audi drivers to the list for their bullying antics. Sometimes they are worse than men Audi drivers.
As for buying a 4x4, I would not unless it was purely for of-road use on a farm etc. I also would not buy an MPV or an SUV. They just do not appeal.

If the day ever comes that Estate cars are no longer manufactures because everyone is buying SUV type vehicles instead, it will be a sad day IMHO.

Last edited by MSS; 20th January 2019 at 18:16..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2019, 18:18   #105
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
but still why 4 wheel drive, make them 2 wheel drive and save the build cost. so many don't go off road and use 4wd capability. perhaps 2 wheel drive wont sell, I don't know

macafee2
That would be the SUV then.
Old 20th January 2019, 18:18   #106
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:

macafee2
pretty sure they are already on sale, they are called 'soft roaders'

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2019, 19:12   #107
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
No not at all, I don't think there is a right or wrong when it comes to what vehicle one choose's to drive.

But, there are those that think it is ok for someone to preach to another on what they should or shouldn't drive, and where to drive.

Like I said earlier, all vehicles made today are a lot bigger than they used to be, the SUV 4x4 sized vehicle is not even a 4x4 and still they are hated by many, but why? SUV's have no place in the country, they are not 4x4's, but yet they are discriminated against.

MPV's got a lot of flack years ago, even the T4/T5 owners did and still do. These VW T4/T5's are just a van, but the same haters don't like the fact that normal families choose to drive around in a posh utility type van. We all share the roads with the white van man don't we, basically no different than a SUV 4x4 sized vehicle, so what exactly is the problem?

I believe it all boils down to what represents wealth, and this is what creates that divide. If you drive a big posh thirsty car, SUV, 4x4 etc, you are always going to get those haters, and what does it all mean? Your success or their failure?

... and when some say about mum's on the school run thinking they own the roads in their 4x4 or SUV??? I'm sorry but I have to disagree. The same is said about us guys in our large gas guzzling car's, pot, kettle, black springs to mind.

Its only human nature to perceive large objects in this way, it doesn't necessarily mean any invincibility, bullying is going on. The same could be said about your large bold blue print to be somewhat stating something that I'd rather not say, but its just my perception and I'm sure there is good reason.
I am sorry Wes, you miss my point with regards to how I feel about 4x4’s. I have driven most types of vehicle during my working life, 4x4’s are only one of them. I have mixed with those that have owned and driven them. The comments like,quote, “ they all get out of my way because they know if they don’t, they will come off worse than me”. If when I was a HGV driver i’d had the same attitude, there would have been more than a few dead bodies about. I was actually with the owner of a company in his Land Rover, and approaching an island I had to actually say to him’ be careful, this is a dangerous island’. He actually said,” s*d em, they will get out of my way or else”. I really do not know why you bring up the ‘wealthy’ comment. But that is probably another reason some people who drive them act the way they do.There is no place on the roads today more than ever for those kind of attitudes I was taught when learning to drive, that I was driving something that could kill without hurting yourself. More people should be taught the same thing. The above two comments are not made up, they are true comments. The ‘invincibility ‘ , my description,and your words, ‘Wealth’ comment, make me realise how people think today..
Old 20th January 2019, 19:33   #108
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

Quote:

macafee2
Why not. If you break it down, why 5 seats, two would cost less,
or why anything over 1 litre, or why not public transport for all, or pushbikes. Because its available, because some of us need it, or want it available.

2wd SUV? Dont see the point tbh, but many do and fair play to them.

Each to our own.
Old 20th January 2019, 19:48   #109
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bone View Post
Why not. If you break it down, why 5 seats, two would cost less,
or why anything over 1 litre, or why not public transport for all, or pushbikes. Because its available, because some of us need it, or want it available.

2wd SUV? Dont see the point tbh, but many do and fair play to them.

Each to our own.
lets not get silly! I was asking an honest question

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2019, 20:00   #110
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
I am sorry Wes, you miss my point with regards to how I feel about 4x4’s. I have driven most types of vehicle during my working life, 4x4’s are only one of them. I have mixed with those that have owned and driven them. The comments like,quote, “ they all get out of my way because they know if they don’t, they will come off worse than me”. If when I was a HGV driver i’d had the same attitude, there would have been more than a few dead bodies about. I was actually with the owner of a company in his Land Rover, and approaching an island I had to actually say to him’ be careful, this is a dangerous island’. He actually said,” s*d em, they will get out of my way or else”. I really do not know why you bring up the ‘wealthy’ comment. But that is probably another reason some people who drive them act the way they do.There is no place on the roads today more than ever for those kind of attitudes I was taught when learning to drive, that I was driving something that could kill without hurting yourself. More people should be taught the same thing. The above two comments are not made up, they are true comments. The ‘invincibility ‘ , my description,and your words, ‘Wealth’ comment, make me realise how people think today..
Yes I see your point Dave, there's no doubt that this type of 4x4 driver does think in that manner of wanting road presence to intimidate. I would like to think this was not the case, but it obviously does happen.

It goes without saying that this type of driver is amongst us daily, you can find them is all sorts of vehicles, small medium and large... posh or poor.

The world is a crazy place, and we are just a small part of it. I bet you're glad you are no longer an HGV driver Dave?