Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th October 2008, 15:02   #11
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondweed View Post
so could the disparity be a result of using the wrong clutch master - i.e. the petrol fits the diesel but we know its about 1cm difference in length.
I think a significant volume/length/bore difference in the master cylinders could have a quite dramatic effect on the slave. If the wrong, larger capacity master is fitted, the slave would probably be over-thrown, leading to excessive wear in the release bearing surface. The pedal travel may also be affected, so a fully released clutch could have the pedal too 'high'. The master and slave have to be balanced dimensionally and capacity wise.

Quote:
Presumably the result of the tiny reservoir for the sealed clutch is that the fluid gets dirtier quicker?
It seems inevitable.

Quote:
Or is there no diffusion over time between all parts of the system when clutch is depressed?
The fluid is constantly being forced from master to slave and back. The transfer bores are very fine in parts, so turbulent mixing seems very probable. In time, the reserve fluid will be as contaminated as that elsewhere in the system. People's experience seems to confirm it.

Quote:
The value of bleeding the clutch surely must be worthwhile once a year or so to keep the system fresh.
I doubt anyone would argue with that. It's whether people are prepared to do it. In hindsight, one wonders why it wasn't part of every 'Oil Service' schedule.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 15:58   #12
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

Like you Pete, I've just had a new clutch, master & slave cylinder fitted - also at great expense!

I've covered 400 miles and the clutch is a delight to use, so light. But like you it has a high bite point. I don't get any judder, except when changing from 1st to 2nd occasionally.
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 19:11   #13
BRG190 Pete
Avid contributor

None at the moment

Default thanks

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Just to pick up on various remarks :

By a high biting point, I mean what TC said ie. don't have to push down far to change gear.

TC, thanks for all your technical input. To summarise what you're saying, the biting point should be the same whether the clutch is new or old - so a high biting point should not mean that the clutch is worn and isn't a problem.

Tatts, I'm reassured by what you say. My clutch is also fine to use.

I do get some juddering when the engine is cold, especially when the outside temperature is also low. I deal with this by revving the engine a little when pulling away - is this an issue or something a garage could adjust?

Thanks all once again for your replies.
BRG190 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 19:45   #14
The Jugs
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon club SE manual 2.0 V6

I to suffer with some juddering but oddly its not all the time, doesnt seem to be anything to do with climate or engine temps , just comes and goes when it feels like it. Frustrating