Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th October 2008, 19:36   #1
CMPQS
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Default Steering Issues - Help

A few months ago I noticed that the car oversteered quite seveerly if going enthuisiastically into a right hander. I put it down to the top suspension mounts having gone & decided to ease off & get it looked at at its next Service.

Lates couldn't find anything obviously wrong, no telltale clunks & all the bushes are OK. The Tracking was miles out though, as it always is. They suggested getting this done properly & then trying to work out the problem when this was known to be OK. Well it took me a couple of weeks but I have had this done properly & swopped the tyres around so that the fronts are evenly worn. Below 30mph she tracks true & is no problem. However above this speed I get various symptoms.

1) if i accellerate reasonably quickly & then lift off I get a tug through the steering wheel. But not all the time. usually occurs if I go from 40mph to 70 7 lift off.
2) Occaisionally when the car hits a section of rough tarmac the steering goes light for a split second & then bites & you have to be ready to catch the steering wheel. usually occurs at 50ish mph
3) She still oversteers suddenly on Right handers but only if its a bit tight & you are being enthusiastic.
4) Occaisionally croosing the camber in the road causes a tug through the steering wheel.

I am thinking that the PAS has had it, but I am not at all sure. Anybody had similar symptoms or got an alternative suggestion as to the problem / possible cure?

Car Is Facelifted ZT 190 Full service history & any repairs carried out at main dealer & lates nearly 50K miles, 90 % of which are by me.

Thanks in advance.

CMPQS
CMPQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 21:02   #2
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

I would say a Power Steering fault myself,
but also Certain Makes of Tyres can cause similar effects more so Cheap brand or unknowns.
I have had this on Son's Car when he fitted NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- because short of funds (and that was on a Cosworth!)
I am sure now tracking sorted, Lates would soon be able to have a look and confirm or deny.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 21:07   #3
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

try swapping tyres front to back........cheap to do and see if you get any improvement.

Also check tyre pressures with the manfacturers recommendations rather then MGR.

Make sure if you've got directional tyres, they are on the right way round.
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 08:34   #4
CMPQS
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Thanks guys. I favour PAS. The tyres are indeed cheep %$^%. I always had contis previously but started my own business just over 7 months ago & three weeks in realised I need 600 quids woth of rubber & just didn't have the funds at the time. I have a couple of spare wheels with worn contis on. I will try them & see if any difference is apparent.
CMPQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 08:40   #5
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

You would be surprised at the difference Cheap Tyres can make,
also any tyre that goes faulty.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote