Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd April 2009, 11:01   #1
fasteddie1.9

Rover 75 Club

Default Tow Bar issue!!

Hi guys

I recently had a tow bar fitted and when the electrics are connected it's causing the bulb failure indication to come on! I think the garage that fitted the tow bar may have connected the electrics into one of the rear light clusters which may be causing the problem. I know on previous cars with CanBus that a tow bar had to be Tech2'd so the ECU and SIM controllers would know why there was more current being drawn and not shut down the bulbs thinking it had failed.

I had a read through a thread I found on here and there was mention of a bypass relay? Where would I find it if I have one? If I don't have one where would I get one and how do I fit it?

Thanks in advance guys!
fasteddie1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 11:09   #2
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

The easiest way to find if you have a by-pass relay is to ask the fitters if they used one.

When you connect the trailer lights to the car, and indicate, do you get either a buzzer, or a light on the dash "echoing" the indicator flashes?? One of these is a legal requirement. The bypass relay, or the MGR OE setup will supply one or the other - or both.

So if you don't have buzzer/dash light, I would say there's a good chance you don't have a bypass relay.

I bought mine from Towbars Direct (I think), for around £20, and in their listings the 75 was shown separately, because of the bulb warning, and other, circuitry. Fitting was easy, as an idiot guide was included in the obstructions. The hardest bit was routing a power supply from the front of the car.

HTH

Malcolm

Last edited by baxlin; 22nd April 2009 at 11:13..
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 11:13   #3
fasteddie1.9

Rover 75 Club

The bulb failure indicator lights up and if I'm indicating the indicator flashes rapidly like old cars used to when there was a bulb out. I can't remember if there was a buzz or not, it was a while ago when I last towed, I'm a bit unsure now with the indicators not working properly with a trailer on, I don't wanna get pulled, lol!
fasteddie1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 15:49   #4
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

If it's a while ago that it was fitted, but you assume it's not the MGR OE loom, the by-pass relay will most likely be found amongst the wiring of the rear light clusters, I put mine in the nearside, but it could have just as easily be on the offside.

The cheapest - just to get the buzzer, could be a flattish cylinder about 3" long with about 5 wires going into it. But this wouldn't I would have thought protect the bulb failure circuit.

My bypass relay, is a flat box, about 2 -3" square.

HTH

malcolm
Old 22nd April 2009, 17:28   #5
rover
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Have a look at "Rydertowing" website which lists all the info you need including a Practical Guide to Towbar Electrics.
rover is offline   Reply With Quote