Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd May 2017, 16:22   #1
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts
Default Should I hose it over or not?

Okay, so the mystery water leak in the front driver's footwell just got even more interesting. I sealed all the scuttle retaining clips yesterday in the hope they were the culprit. I also poured water in all four plenum areas, and it came out underneath. I had rodded them previously, but wanted to check the flow was sufficient so water didn't still build up if it rained hard enough. All was well.

I took the car to work today, and tonight I notice a trickle of water seeping out all around the boot release lever yet again, and it hasn't rained since l dried that area. Water much be trapped somewhere and seeping out? The carpet doesn't feel any wetter, so it must be a slow seep, or just remnants of what was in there.

Could water be trapped in the bulkhead from the retainers? Or even a previously blocked plenum?

I was going to hose the car over tonight to see if the retainer sealing had worked, but is it worth it now? Or should I still try it in case I get a huge gush in the car and then I know its from somewhere else? I'm a bit baffled!

Dawn
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 16:24   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

If you're getting water in that region, check the LSM for water damage causes all sorts of problems if it is
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 16:30   #3
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

What is the LSM?
Old 22nd May 2017, 16:32   #4
suzublu
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
What is the LSM?
Sorry, Light Switch Module
Old 22nd May 2017, 16:52   #5
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

Is that near the light switch itself? The water is much lower, its baffling me. Is this residual water from a previous problem that is trapped? Do I still have a leak? If its moving around between panels, is it even entering driver's side? I might just run a hose over it and see if more goes in. I've heard of water getting in the bulkhead from the plenums, but how? I can see the driver's side, and that is running free. Water comes out the passenger side, and I can see the rubber tube top, is there more to the tube that could be adrift?
Old 22nd May 2017, 17:24   #6
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
Is that near the light switch itself? The water is much lower, its baffling me. Is this residual water from a previous problem that is trapped? Do I still have a leak? If its moving around between panels, is it even entering driver's side? I might just run a hose over it and see if more goes in. I've heard of water getting in the bulkhead from the plenums, but how? I can see the driver's side, and that is running free. Water comes out the passenger side, and I can see the rubber tube top, is there more to the tube that could be adrift?
Dawn I found a lot of water in my drivers footwell,never in the ten years of owning the car has this ever happened before.So I thought about what I had done recently and the only thing that Had been worked on in that area was re placing the master cylinder.Upon investigation it was found that the rubber grommet that the clutch pipe goes thru was not seated properly allowing water to enter the car thru the bulk head.I resealed/seated it properly and never had the problem again. worth a look..

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 18:07   #7
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

Hiya, I don't think this applies to me as mine is auto? I just went out and drenched the scuttle area with the hose - checked inside, nothing seemed to have got any wetter. next I directed it at the top, then sides of the screen, and also the top windscreen end of the roof rails - again, nothing seems any wetter, and I saw no drips or runs...

So, all I think I can do now is monitor it? There is obviously still some trapped and leaking through a bit because of what I found on the boot release, but if it doesn't rain, surely this can only last so long?

Then when it does rain, if it starts again, I've missed something? I just also rechecked that the passenger side plenum tube is intact, and it is - in fact it was partially blocked again! How i don't know, there are no trees here. Must be crud from somewhere in the chamber floating down.

So I guess now its a waiting game.
Old 22nd May 2017, 18:13   #8
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

Hi Dawn, Not long after getting Mo, (1.8 petrol), I jacked her up at the front and put axel stands under the subframe. Before I could lower her down the jack moved and fell sideways, Mo came down with a bang onto the stands. There was then a gush of fluid from the middle of the underside of the car. Disturbed I went to look at it. No rainbow, so nothing to do with oil. No smell or colour, so nothing to do with coolant or screen wash. I checked all fluids, all were at their appropriate level, and the aircon worked as it should. So I felt it and it was water. It came from a part that looks like a thick metal square with four large holes drilled in it.
There is no sunroof in Mo and the plenums were ok. But this was clearly rainwater that had been trapped and the bang freed the blockage and the water ran free.
What I don't know is which drains exit under the car in this area. But it could be that there's somewhere on our cars that we don't check or rod, which are capable of retaining water when blocked.
I hope someone with more experience can explain this please.
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 18:17   #9
suzublu
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeupname View Post
Hi Dawn, Not long after getting Mo, (1.8 petrol), I jacked her up at the front and put axel stands under the subframe. Before I could lower her down the jack moved and fell sideways, Mo came down with a bang onto the stands. There was then a gush of fluid from the middle of the underside of the car. Disturbed I went to look at it. No rainbow, so nothing to do with oil. No smell or colour, so nothing to do with coolant or screen wash. I checked all fluids, all were at their appropriate level, and the aircon worked as it should. So I felt it and it was water. It came from a part that looks like a thick metal square with four large holes drilled in it.
There is no sunroof in Mo and the plenums were ok. But this was clearly rainwater that had been trapped and the bang freed the blockage and the water ran free.
What I don't know is which drains exit under the car in this area. But it could be that there's somewhere on our cars that we don't check or rod, which are capable of retaining water when blocked.
I hope someone with more experience can explain this please.
Something else to look for http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru....php?p=2070716
Old 22nd May 2017, 18:22   #10
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Ahhh.... thanks Suzublu, yep, in taking all the trim out of Mo I spotted those bags too. I'll check for dryness/holes when I next get the chance to work on her
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote