Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th June 2012, 17:59   #1
blacknwhite
Posted a thing or two

Black Rover 75 Connie CDT and Twilight Chromactive ZT Turbo

Default I'm a BIG bit frightened - CDT

My clutch went during the week taking RPWC up to pick up his car after a clutch rebuild. MY clutch went to the floor aswell on the way to pick his up. Slave. Even AA man said slave.

That was 5 days ago. I've looked for wet carpets under the peddle and liquid under the tray, the following day. Nothing.

BUT tonight (4 days later), I looked again and the tarmac looks like the entire cooling system has dumped on the road, not wet, but rusty stained. Checked the reservoir and YES it's low. Not empty but way lower than it should be. I check it regularly.

Anyone any ideas? Do I have two problems? The clutch has definitely gone, but the water stains are now REALLY worrying me.
blacknwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 18:15   #2
SapperGB
Posted a thing or two

2005 190 ZT-T SE

are you sure that it is water? bear in mind that the slave is mounted internally. it will seep from between the engine and gearbox and not into the cabin as you first thought - that is the master cylinder.

you need to feel the spill for its viscosity. im betting it is clutch fluid that has leaked and has picked up a ton of crud on its way to the floor
SapperGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 18:22   #3
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknwhite View Post
My clutch went during the week taking RPWC up to pick up his car after a clutch rebuild. MY clutch went to the floor aswell on the way to pick his up. Slave. Even AA man said slave.

That was 5 days ago. I've looked for wet carpets under the peddle and liquid under the tray, the following day. Nothing.

BUT tonight (4 days later), I looked again and the tarmac looks like the entire cooling system has dumped on the road, not wet, but rusty stained. Checked the reservoir and YES it's low. Not empty but way lower than it should be. I check it regularly.

Anyone any ideas? Do I have two problems? The clutch has definitely gone, but the water stains are now REALLY worrying me.
Quite possible double problem !
Look closely for the coolant leak ;pump side preferably...
But don't worry ,the diesel engine is bulletproof...

Mike
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 18:37   #4
blacknwhite
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapperGB View Post
are you sure that it is water? bear in mind that the slave is mounted internally. it will seep from between the engine and gearbox and not into the cabin as you first thought - that is the master cylinder.

you need to feel the spill for its viscosity. im betting it is clutch fluid that has leaked and has picked up a ton of crud on its way to the floor
Yes, I felt internally incase it was the Master Cylinder, but no, totally dry. Under, It's water that has evaporated and left the stain. Unfortunately I checked the reservoir and it's low, past the top up level. It's never been like that ever. It could have been a stain that's been there a while, but the reservoir is very low, not empty, but def low.
Old 12th June 2012, 19:44   #5
mark d3
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon,cdt 170 bhp(ish)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknwhite View Post
Yes, I felt internally incase it was the Master Cylinder, but no, totally dry. Under, It's water that has evaporated and left the stain. Unfortunately I checked the reservoir and it's low, past the top up level. It's never been like that ever. It could have been a stain that's been there a while, but the reservoir is very low, not empty, but def low.
on the diesel the water pump and plastic inlet o ring on the head are the main culprits of a leak

one event everyone should experience http://www.wolverhamptonnanomeets.com/
mark d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 19:49   #6
blacknwhite
Posted a thing or two

Richard (RPWC) has just come round to have a look. Everything seems ok and the stain is probably old. Phew............thank God for that. It's "only" a slave and clutch then.

So another one skips the scrappy again.

Top guy Richard, always ready to help. His help and advice is invaluable.
Old 12th June 2012, 19:58   #7
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

you'll make me bigheaded Bob lol!!,my advice is only as good as the tips and advice I've received from people on here.
The stain on the ground is ancient,its baked in,and there are no signs of coolant leakage from Bob's car,we topped up the header tank,and ran it for 10 mins or so,and it never went down,probably been off someone else's car
Old 13th June 2012, 21:09   #8
lamuff
Avid contributor

ROVER 75 TOURER CONNOISSEUR SE

my slave was bleeding to death fro the last 6 month and i still had nothing dripping out on the floor or engine tray, but when i took the bell housing out it was all over the inside soaked up by clutch dust i guess
lamuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 21:19   #9
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
you'll make me bigheaded Bob lol!!,my advice is only as good as the tips and advice I've received from people on here.
The stain on the ground is ancient,its baked in,and there are no signs of coolant leakage from Bob's car,we topped up the header tank,and ran it for 10 mins or so,and it never went down,probably been off someone else's car
Had a very slight coolant weep from the thermostat housing seal. Lost a cupful every month or so. Difficult to see from above but clearly visible looking up from underneath with the undertray removed.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 21:35   #10
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Had a very slight coolant weep from the thermostat housing seal. Lost a cupful every month or so. Difficult to see from above but clearly visible looking up from underneath with the undertray removed.

Mike
Mike,I looked at the car from underneath too,its dry,the stain on the ground was big,as if the radiator had burst.
It was well faded too,so had been there for a long time,must have been from another car