Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th April 2012, 18:32   #1
Steve&Sam

MG ZT

Default MGZT CDT - A few problems.. need advice

Hi,
Having had my our MG ZT CDT for a few months, we are overly happy with it, although it has cost us a fair bit to get it up to standard..
We have a few small problems with the car that we want to get sorted, but not sure where to start.

Problem 1:
Over the last few days (since it started raining) the warning light has come on indicating that a door is still open. I think that the problem may be the bonnet pin as the car has had a new bumper at some point and the existing pin is missing the rubber cover.
Not sure how to start pin pointing the problem?

Problem 2:
This problem seems to be linked with problem 1. Or at least I think it is. After we lock the car about 15 minutes pass and then the hazzards start flashing. I assume that this is the alarm going off, but there is no sound so I am not sure?
Again not sure where to start with this one?

Problem 3:
The drivers door does not unlock with the key remote, although it will lock with it. The drivers door does not lock or unlock with the internal lock button.
Any suggestions?

Problem 4:
This has just started recently, but the engine seems to be lacking power in the lower rev ranges, but after around 1800 rpm it is ok, this is more noticable when in higher gears (e.g on motorway in 5th going from 50mph to 70mph) Looking on the forum I think this may be due to the MAF, but is there a way i can check if this is the case?

Problem 5:
There seems to be a light whistle/hiss noise coming from the passenger side of the car under acceleration, this is not a loud noise but can be heard when the radio is quiet. (probably nothing to worry about but thought i would mention it just in case)

Problem 6:
It is sometimes difficult to get the car into first gear, usual if It doesnt go in, releasing the clutch pedal then depressing it again seems to get it into gear.
The car has had a new clutch, DMF, slave cylinder and we have just replaced the master cylinder.

Its an 03 MGZT CDT, and it has done 87,000miles.

We are based near Maidstone, Kent if anyone can suggest anywhere to take the car that would be great.

Cheers

Sam and Steve

Last edited by Steve&Sam; 29th April 2012 at 18:55.. Reason: added Problem #6
Steve&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2012, 18:53   #2
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

the whistling noise suggests your inter cooler o rings are cream crackered.get some viton rings of jules trader on here this will account for the power loss if you look down behind the passgenger headlight their will probally be a load of oil down there.the alarm issue is due to water ingress in the bonnet switch get another with the rubber cover cover for it .this should also cure the warning light probelm.the switches are all the same across the 75 zt range b.t.w. rover or mg will not matter
Old 29th April 2012, 19:08   #3
Steve&Sam

MG ZT

Hi Suffolk Boy, thanks for the reponse, I have a feeling that the hazards going off was linked with the interior warning light, and you seem to be of the same opinion.
I have a new sensor with the cover ordered. Do you happen to know if it is a bumper off job? I can see any access to it any otherway?

Cheers
Steve
Old 30th April 2012, 01:51   #4
crofts
I really should get out more.......

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Default Maf

Do a search for Maf. Plenty of info. on this subject.
Usual proceedure is to disconnect the Maf. and run it like this, can't damage anything. If there is an improvement Maf is faulty. Only replace with genuine Bosch or Pierburg if upgrading with Synergy (incresed BHP) which many members have done (also plenty of info. on this)
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 05:08   #5
Johnny the Fox
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT Saloon and MGF SE

Also due to the no sound and just the indicators flashing someone has disconnected the alarm siren,under the n/s plenum chamber. As already stated, the intercooler sealing rings have perished, causing the hissing sound under acceleration and the strange loss of power. I am in Tunbridge Wells and if you get stuck trying to get the car sorted, i don’t mind looking at it for you ,one weekend
Old 1st May 2012, 19:59   #6
Steve&Sam

MG ZT

thanks for the advice, I have had a look down by the passenger headlight and it does look oily on the pipe. Will order the new o-rings and try to fit them on the weekend.

Cheers

Steve