Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th August 2014, 17:01   #1
JT667

Default Tourer - Rear Window locked shut

What started with a task to replace the rear wiper motor has developed into a major problem for me. When I first closed the rear window, the lug did not engage with the hole in the moving plate on the motor assembly. I then found I could not open the window and established that the locking mechanism for the window had activated and was not disengaging when the key was pressed. Think I would take the motor back out again, I find one screw that can only be reached with the window open (I now have a chicken/egg situation). Thinking that I could detach the locking mechanism from the wiper motor assembly, I found I could still not remove the assembly from the car. Now the real issue is that I notice that the wires the provide the feed/signal for the locking mechanism had come out of the plastic holder and I do not know what order they should be – this item may the cause of the failure to unlock in the first place. I have two immediate questions;
1. Which wire goes where (see photo)?
2. Is this locking mechanism easily replaced (if I could get it out) ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140829_121446.jpg (137.6 KB, 155 views)
Old 30th August 2014, 10:53   #2
JT667

Default clarification

In case it is not clear from picture, the wires came out of the plug and I am trying to ascertain if I have put them back in correct position.
Old 31st August 2014, 09:37   #3
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Hello JT667,

I have seen your above e-mail with no replies, so I have just taken the black lower inner lining off the tailgate and viewed mine from the outside, with the tailgate closed and the window open. The connector is straight in front of me to the left end of the lock/wiper unit.

The pink connector can take FOUR wires but only three are used.
With the connector in place in the socket on the motor, mine is as follows:-
The nearest hole to me is not used.
The second hole away from me is the yellow lead
The third hole away from me is the earth black
The fourth, furthest from me is white and green.

Sorry I could not leave a photo, I don't know how to upload yet, and the above gives you want you need to know much quicker.

Best of luck in refitting your wires

Geoff.
GeoffWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2014, 09:43   #4
JT667

Many thanks GeoffWW, I know what a fiddly job it is getting the lining on and off, much appreciated. Of to see if I can get this sorted and at least unlock the window so I can gain access to the final nut on the wiper motor
Old 31st August 2014, 13:08   #5
oldcarguy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

If you can get to the window catch motor there is a release catch in a small hole by one of the mounting bolts, stick something in the hole and slide the catch.
oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2014, 14:13   #6
JT667

Default Releasing the window lock

Thanks for that Oldcarguy. unfortunately by the time I read that I had 'bodged' the unit off, perhaps I triggered the release mechanism in the process.
Although I have now got the wires in the correct position the unit did not work so its either the plug socket itself or the locking unit. The wiper motor has not worked for months so I think I will replace both.
Had I have known about the release mechanism I could have easily have activated it as I had the rear trim off.