Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd September 2009, 12:39   #1
andyswan

rover 75 cdt salon

Default In Tank Fuel Pump Problem

2001,75 2.0 litre diesel Conn saloon automatic.
about a week ago i noticed a crackling noise coming from the injectors.the car was also cutting out intermittently but started no bother.it would also run on for a second or two when switched off.the cutting out got so bad suddenly,the car had to be put off the road. i searched your forums and concluded the in tank fuel pump was at fault.i recently replaced the under bonnet one,although it is quite noisy. there was no sound coming from the rear pump soi removed it and took the motor/pump out of its housing, when i put power to the terminals there was nothing,so i used a small screwdriver to turn the pump vanes and tried it again and it worked.i put is together and re fitted it to the tank.the car started and i could hear both pumps buzzing,but it still cut out.i turned it over a couple of times then the car stopped turning as though the battery had gone flat also the headlights were flashing? i stopped there as i have no idea what is causing this. the battery has plenty of power.would it be imobilising it self?although the starter clicks like a flat battery would do.auto electrician was called and he told me pump may still be faulty even though its turning.he also said the low pressure in the fuel due to one pump failing will make the car cut out.I think i have covered it all,i apologise for the long winded approach to this problem with my beloved rover.i hope you might be able to help.
andyswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 13:09   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The pumps often fail together or one soon after the other. The in-tank pump is expensive new, buy many dieslel owners are fitting the pump module from the Peugeot diesel. I'm sure you'll find loads on this if you do an Advanced Search for "Peugeot pump" (include the commas) in the Technical Section.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote