Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd September 2009, 17:52   #11
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrouk View Post
Just tried it when i got home and it worked this time - thanks

Just got home from work and temperature reading 105 which seems hot (hence why fan keeps coming on more than my last 1.8T)

Is 105 too hot - will it blow a gasket?
Should I try radiator cleaner?
Maybe should be in new thread
the fan will kick in at about 100 to 103 and drop it back to the 90's...with the readout on,try and workout characteristics of the cooling system
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 18:24   #12
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
- - -
Is 105 too hot - will it blow a gasket?
Should I try radiator cleaner?
Maybe should be in new thread
(I've cut'n'paste this for anyone else interested.)

This reading is not hot enough to worry about providing the coolant inventory is up to the mark and there are absolutely no leaks. The 1.8t fan system is designed to switch on at a coolant temperature of 105-107°C. It will be heard running until the temperature drops to 95°C or so. That's the 'normal' upper running range and is perfectly safe. The typical running temperature on the open road is 95-100°C. This tends to rise when slowing down after a brisk period or in slow moving traffic. The ram effect at high speed is very effective in controlling the temperature, along with the improved performance of a PRT system.

Providing OAT antifreeze is used and replaced on schedule throughout the engine's life, there should never be any need to use flushing aids or other 'improvers'. The interior of the cooling system should remain in like new condition.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 19:13   #13
Chris K
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Conn SE Saloon Automatic Gold 68K

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
....This reading is not hot enough to worry about providing the coolant inventory is up to the mark and there are absolutely no leaks. The 1.8t fan system is designed to switch on at a coolant temperature of 105-107°C. ...
If i monitor the temp - is there any particular temperature that i should start to become concerned (switch off)? (i'm worried about blowing head gasket)

Chris K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 19:29   #14
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

what is your daily commute.with the readout on watch the temperature and listen for the fan and watch the temp drop.the fan will switch to the highest speed as a failsafe if the engine temp becomes critical
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 19:59   #15
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
If i monitor the temp - is there any particular temperature that i should start to become concerned (switch off)? (i'm worried about blowing head gasket)
The standard temperature gauge build into every model is identical as far as I can determine. The 'normal' position (9 o'clock) means the coolant is somewhere between 75°C and 115°C. If the temperature starts moving higher than this, the needle moves upwards towards the red. One has to assume that the people who designed these cars considered 115°C is OK, but above 115°, things are getting a bit too warm. I'm not sure what the red line equates to, but HGF is likely if it stays there.

The upshot is, while the needle stays at 9 o'clock, things are 'normal'. If it ventures above, you should stop. Unfortunately, the range between normal and red is probably very small, maybe 20-30° I'd guess. This overdamped middle range is probably the reason why so many 1.8 owners end up with HGF. They don't see the drift early enough and it's fried by the time they stop. It's also the best reason to fit a proper temperature gauge like the Schaaper system. This completely replaces your reliance on a useless piece of equipment. After fitting one, I recalibrated the old one to a more meaningful parameter - it's a worry gauge, which gets back to your original question.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 22nd September 2009 at 20:03..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:35   #16
Chris K
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
..while the needle stays at 9 o'clock, things are 'normal'. If it ventures above, you should stop. ...
That's good - due to the fan coming in early i have been watching the gauge and it never ventured above normal so far so thats some reassurance

cheers
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:38   #17
Chris K
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab View Post
what is your daily commute.with the readout on watch the temperature and listen for the fan and watch the temp drop.the fan will switch to the highest speed as a failsafe if the engine temp becomes critical
my daily commute is about 20 miles both ways - now i can set the clock i'll monitor my journeys for a while until i'm confident it's running OK

thanks
Old 23rd September 2009, 07:43   #18
Parker
This is my second home

Jaguar XJ 3.0 V6 Auto (X350) & Hyundai Tuscon 2020

Jethrouk as T-Cut suggests I'd fit a Hans Gauge ASAP for real piece of mind.

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 12:11   #19
drewbie
Loves to post

Rover 75 Club SE 1.8T 03 plate.

At this time of year my 1.8T doesnt run above 96, but that does not include much town driving.
drewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:28   #20
Chris K
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbie View Post
At this time of year my 1.8T doesnt run above 96, but that does not include much town driving.
I was wondering what it will be like in the summer if it's like this now - and my old 1.8T never ran hot

i think it's tryna tell me there's something wrong but i'm not sure how to put it right before the head gasket or turbo blows