Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd September 2009, 10:58   #11
Lloyd's Grey Flash
Avid contributor

R75 Conn SE KV6 2.0 Auto - Engine DIED. R.I.P. Breaking ;o(

Hiya Russ,

Many thanks for your swift post with feedback. Ah, erm, well actually now you have me doubting the project as you mentioned the evil word ECU. If indeed its not a straight swap like I was kind of hoping with a little adjustment then it may just prove unviable. I shall research in-depth like you say and see what I can find....

Thanks again, I appreciate your feedback Buddy.

BR,
Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
Sorry to hear the bad news about the engine, I know you suspected it after the advice on here though.

Sounds like you've got an interesting project planned.
Certainly not an easy job, the mechanical bits and pieces shouldn't prove too much of a problem just a case of swapping the correct components over.

By far the biggest problem is going to be the configuration of the ecu's it's not just a case of swapping them over.

Before you embark on it I would suggest you look very carefully as to what's involved, then make you decision.

Russ
Lloyd's Grey Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 13:41   #12
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Hiya Lloyd.

I seem to recall reading that the various ECU's "talk" to each other, and Degrad had a prob when his light system held mileage info and it got deleted? I think Lates sorted that for him, but I think swapping engine and box will prove very difficult due to all the complex computer stuff on these cars..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 19:22   #13
Lloyd's Grey Flash
Avid contributor

Hiya James,
You may be right, I shall know a little more tomorrow, and shall be conducting the final checks on the current engine before removing it.
I just feel that replacing an engine is both time consuming and expensive, thus I want to ensure I'm as happy as possible, and the ZT 190 engine with a manual would be such an improvement power and economy wise over my current 2.0 block.
Wish me luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
Hiya Lloyd.

I seem to recall reading that the various ECU's "talk" to each other, and Degrad had a prob when his light system held mileage info and it got deleted? I think Lates sorted that for him, but I think swapping engine and box will prove very difficult due to all the complex computer stuff on these cars..
Old 22nd September 2009, 20:11   #14
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Hiya Lloyd. :lol:

I do wish you luck, loads of it! But I also hope you wont need it.
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:44   #15
ml.williams
Avid contributor

ZT_T 190

a 190 wont improve econermy lol...... that was a good joke

on a serious note how can it have compression when they test it and not when the try starting it. compression testers i have used replace the spark slug and give you a reading as you crank them if they are all high and even you are good. so it either has compression or it doesn't period!
ml.williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:52   #16
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml.williams View Post

on a serious note how can it have compression when they test it and not when the try starting it. compression testers i have used replace the spark slug and give you a reading as you crank them if they are all high and even you are good. so it either has compression or it doesn't period!
A compression test can also be carried using a pico scope
Lates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 07:35   #17
Lloyd's Grey Flash
Avid contributor

Hi There,

Well only slightly kidding regarding the 190 giving better economy, I get around 24 average on the motorway, whilst my friends ZTT190 easily exceeds this, round town or hard on the pedal I get as low as 18mpg, which is also bettered by his car. Mine being an auto makes matters worse, but overall with my daily 70mile commute I'm fairly certain I shall get better economy from a 2.5 190 with a manual box, though I could be wrong?

With regards the compression test, sorry maybe I utilised incorrect terminology, what they conveyed over the phone was that they have conducted an oil pressure test, and the engine failed, having zero engine oil pressure. That test cost me £40.

Its being recovered back to me this morning, so I shall be checking for a spark, and fuel getting through, then reading fault codes etc, before starting to remove the engine.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml.williams View Post