Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12th February 2019, 20:34   #1
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts
Default Possible Cracked Head?

I used to own a book "Everybody's Home Doctor", the trouble was, if you read it, you'd got it and in a way, reading through the information on this site, and elsewhere, I think maybe, I've got a crack in the engine.

Last Sunday at the Ugly Duckling meet, I arrived there with a large amount of steam coming from the engine compartment. It appeared that there was coolant coming from around the exhaust manifold of the 1.8T, higher than the area where the head gasket fits. I was able to get home, topping up when cool enough at the two stops I made in the relatively short journey home.

I found that some of the exhaust manifold bolts were not torqued up, and one stud was completely missing. I now have a gasket, and am expecting some studs to arrive soon, so I was preparing the beast today for what to me is a major surgery. Whilst underneath I was aware of an occasional drip of coolant from around the area of said gasket, and in fact could see a slight run of fluid from the area of a lower stud, one which actually, if really turned, does not appear to tighten 100%.

Now, on reading various historical notes on here, I realize there are no coolant channels to be sealed by the exhaust manifold gasket. In fact, some members report that in the past they too have had similar symptoms, but luckily, I don't think any had cracked blocks.

I will now try to go ahead with the gasket replacement and then refitting of the manifold with new studs and will have to see what happens. I love this car, well most of it.

I needed my car early next week, and my project car is not ready for the MOT.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote