Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st March 2018, 17:11   #11
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervinnie40 View Post
I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean with that Arctic.[/QUOTE
]

Hi Vinnie
As Glen pointed out I at first thought that the photo was of your steering column, and with the arrow I meant as the section it should push backwards as it is on a swivel joint.

Then try inserting the square or pointer as you say.

I note the photo was taken from Richards how to, it says this below.

( Remove the nut, slide out the bolt, the connection to the steering rack pivots off, it does not slide off, take a look at this picture. )

Therefore it should pivot also to re-fit ? yes

Richards how to.
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=196928

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2018, 17:16   #12
Supervinnie40
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 1.8 Club

Thanks, I actually tried the method of a threaded rod and 2 nuts in between this evening. And it worked like a charm. It took a bit of power, but I managed to open the square bottom of the coupler (sorry, don't have a clue what this double hinged part is called). After it was opened up 2mm I could slide it over the part that sticks out from the bottom (which is from the steering rack). And I could also get the pinch bolt back in as well.

The only trouble I got now is to line it up with the wheels, and that I might have broken something in my steering wheel..... %@%$@^$@$
Old 21st March 2018, 17:23   #13
Supervinnie40

Rover 75 1.8 Club

Now I'm faced with this problem....

This was after I aligned the wheels (by sight) with the steering wheel in the center position. I thought this was wrong, so I disconnected everything, and made both track-rod ends the same length (keeping in mind that both wheels would need to be facing the same direction) but then the steering wheels is upside down.

Disconnecting the hinged part which I had trouble with earlier (page 1) doesn't help either, because that can only be slide over in 1 way, otherwise the pinch bolt won't fit.

So its either living with both end being very different (which seems odd to me??) or driving around with my steering wheel upside down haha.
Old 21st March 2018, 17:30   #14
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

Did you centre the rack? With it centred I would expect the wheel to be straight unless it was fitted incorrectly to the column.
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2018, 17:32   #15
Supervinnie40

Rover 75 1.8 Club

That is the odd thing. The steering rack has a few holes it falls into, so you can't really misalign it. The part that connects with the steering column (the pointy bit from page one) can also only be connected in 1 way. So it is hard to mess it up you'd think. Yet I managed to mess it up I think....
Old 21st March 2018, 17:46   #16
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervinnie40 View Post
Now I'm faced with this problem....

This was after I aligned the wheels (by sight) with the steering wheel in the center position. I thought this was wrong, so I disconnected everything, and made both track-rod ends the same length (keeping in mind that both wheels would need to be facing the same direction) but then the steering wheels is upside down.

Disconnecting the hinged part which I had trouble with earlier (page 1) doesn't help either, because that can only be slide over in 1 way, otherwise the pinch bolt won't fit.

So its either living with both end being very different (which seems odd to me??) or driving around with my steering wheel upside down haha.
RoverP480 meant to centre the rack internally - turn the steering input shaft of the rack to the midpoint of lock-to-lock - before connecting the steering column and tie rods (track rods). Then, when the track rods are connected to the rack, the wheels should be pointed straight ahead. Then connect the steering column with the steering wheel centred. It seems to me that the steering column coupler should fit two ways - 0 degrees and 180 degrees, for example. A bit late now, but you shouldn't have messed with - nor needed to - the track rod adjustment. After completion, maybe, to centre the steering wheel if it was off centre a bit. That should be done by way of an actual wheel alignment.

At this stage, I would disconnect everything and start over with the steps I listed above - readjusting the track rods to get the wheels pointed straight ahead after connecting to the now internally centred rack.

Keep at it,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2018, 17:58   #17
Supervinnie40

Rover 75 1.8 Club

Thanks for the advice Glenn. I remember from the original steering rack that both ends of the tie rods where "sticking out" with a threaded piece for roughly 1.2 cm on both ends (could've differed 1 or 2 mm). So when I installed the new steering rack I connected both wheels with exactly 10 rotations of the tie rods. I measured both ends up to make sure they where the same. Obviously both wheels wheren't aligned yet, but I made sure both where sticking out the same. So basically, both wheels where "wrong" aligned in the same way and the tie rods where screwed in for the same length.
I kinda assumed this would put the steering rack perfectly centre.

I then reconnected the steering column, keeping a fixed eye on trying to keep the steering wheels as perfectly centred as possible.
This is when I discovered that I had to turn the steering wheel 180 degrees to be able to slide over the part from the steering rack that sticks out from the bottom.
Eventually I decided to go for it (seeing as it can only be attached 1 way. So I'd have to rotate the steering rack 360 degrees to align it up again). I kinda hoped it would only require minute changes to the tie rods to align the wheels visually. Good enough to drive to the garage and get it done professionally).

In the end I ended up with the picture I added above. And it is not how it should be.

I know it sound weird, but I have a feeling the part from the steering rack, that connects with the steering column, is rotated 180 degrees. And it is actually the wrong way in.

Last edited by Supervinnie40; 21st March 2018 at 18:01..
Supervinnie40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2018, 18:12   #18
Supervinnie40

Rover 75 1.8 Club

I've just been underneath the car. and both ends of the tie rod are screwed in for the exact same length. The threaded part is visible on both side for roughly 1.8 cm. Both wheels are roughly pointing the same direction.

This is the offset from the wheels with the steering wheel straight.

Old 21st March 2018, 18:19   #19
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

There's a thread here on fitting the column .you will get there keep up the good work

Do you think you need to refit the universal joint maybe after the shaft turns one rotation?

Last edited by rustymotor; 21st March 2018 at 18:50..
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2018, 18:23   #20
Supervinnie40

Rover 75 1.8 Club

I'm not sure why that would make it any different? Not disagreeing with the manual obviously, but the alignment of the wheels shouldn't be this far off. Wether it is on the ground or lifted up? The steering rack itself is not moved by lifting up the car either.

I didn't change the pinch bolt. But it did looks in good condition. Seeing as I put it back in the same way as I removed it, I don't directly see how it could affect the alignment. Or am I missing something?