Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th March 2018, 13:05   #1
yellownev
Regular poster

75 Tourer

Default Rover 75 Con CDTi Auto Tourer - Voltage reg and brush or new Alternator - update ?

Hi, My lovely 75 automatic had the ignominy of a 200 mile trip on the back of a recovery vehicle yesterday. 66k in ten years before me and I have done that again in three years trouble free until now.

Ready for the drive south and the battery light was on on the dash.

Did the volt check on the instrument panel and it was showing 11.3 volts

First breakdown guy arrived with no meter !! Pulled at a few cables and diagnosed a dead alternator.

I did an oil change with filter last week but was very careful to avoid oil on the alternator.

The battery is what was on the car when I brought it - no starting problems.

Coincidentally discount Rover MG spares emailed me with offers on replacement regulator and brushes for the alternator.

Question to the wise and all knowing is ... is it worth a punt on replacing the regulator and brushes or just get it shipped to someone (recommendations in the Chichester area) to put on a new Alternator and take my hard earned?

Any advice appreciated especially if there are meter tests I can do to check battery alternator regulator etc?

TIA Nev

Last edited by yellownev; 21st March 2018 at 14:11.. Reason: Update with photos
yellownev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2018, 17:04   #2
shaunlee75

MG ZT Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellownev View Post
Hi, My lovely 75 automatic had the ignominy of a 200 mile trip on the back of a recovery vehicle yesterday. 66k in ten years before me and I have done that again in three years trouble free until now.

Ready for the drive south and the battery light was on on the dash.

Did the volt check on the instrument panel and it was showing 11.3 volts

First breakdown guy arrived with no meter !! Pulled at a few cables and diagnosed a dead alternator.

I did an oil change with filter last week but was very careful to avoid oil on the alternator.

The battery is what was on the car when I brought it - no starting problems.

Coincidentally discount Rover MG spares emailed me with offers on replacement regulator and brushes for the alternator.

Question to the wise and all knowing is ... is it worth a punt on replacing the regulator and brushes or just get it shipped to someone (recommendations in the Chichester area) to put on a new Alternator and take my hard earned?

Any advice appreciated especially if there are meter tests I can do to check battery alternator regulator etc?

TIA Nev
Nev,

Check my recent post regarding regulator vs alternator.
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=280626

While Mat and his regulator service is top notch, and it is fairly easy to change the regulator, bear in mind the potential secondary costs if it is not just the regulator;-)
shaunlee75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2018, 17:53   #3
yellownev
Regular poster

75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunlee75 View Post
Nev,

Check my recent post regarding regulator vs alternator.
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=280626

While Mat and his regulator service is top notch, and it is fairly easy to change the regulator, bear in mind the potential secondary costs if it is not just the regulator;-)
Hi Shaun, thanks for replying - I have read many posts on the subject as you might imagine - one problem have is I am 200 miles from my multi meter and only have motorcycle chargers so Mr Amazon is delivering me a 20 amp charger and a multimeter so I can charge the battery and check some voltages in case it is a dead battery before I go for the regulator and brushes - if that does not work then it will have to be an auto electrician as I don't fancy messing with belts. Of course i'll need a full battery to get me a few miles to a garage!!
Old 19th March 2018, 18:04   #4
Amsca2
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T cdti

Did the mechanics of recovery men ever check her over while she was running. I.e. a jump start?

For me I'd try the regulator first but only due to cost an awkwardness to fit an alternator.
Old 19th March 2018, 18:36   #5
yellownev
Regular poster

75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsca2 View Post
Did the mechanics of recovery men ever check her over while she was running. I.e. a jump start?

For me I'd try the regulator first but only due to cost an awkwardness to fit an alternator.
Hi, No the first guy did not even have a multimeter on his vehicle !! other two were just interested (or not) in loading the old girl on the back of their wagons.

I am temped to go for the regulator first, subject to ensuring the battery is ok (I own Honda bikes so know how regulators can fail) and if that is ok then I'll try the kit....
Old 19th March 2018, 19:52   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Charge your battery first. Give it a good 24 hours.

The charge rate must be 5 amps not 20 or you will cook your battery.--

The regulator and brushes are a good idea PROVIDING the slip rings on the armature are in good condition. ( You can only tell by removing the existing brush pack and looking through the opening.-----)

Happy motoring.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2018, 09:34   #7
yellownev
Regular poster

75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Charge your battery first. Give it a good 24 hours.

The charge rate must be 5 amps not 20 or you will cook your battery.--

The regulator and brushes are a good idea PROVIDING the slip rings on the armature are in good condition. ( You can only tell by removing the existing brush pack and looking through the opening.-----)

Happy motoring.---
Thanks for the advice, if it warms up (ever) then I'll get back out and take the back cover off the alternator and remove the existing regulator and see what the slip rings look like before I buy the kit....
Old 20th March 2018, 09:38   #8
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Instead of carrying my multi meter around I have one of these smart duel USB adapters which has a digital display of the battery state of charge.
It's cheap as chips & works well for £2.92 delivered

https://www.banggood.com/FN05-Dual-U...r_warehouse=CN

At a glance I can see my standing voltage 12.6 when I turn the key on & 14.4 when the engine is running.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2018, 09:46   #9
yellownev
Regular poster

75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Instead of carrying my multi meter around I have one of these smart duel USB adapters which has a digital display of the battery state of charge.
It's cheap as chips & works well for £2.92 delivered

https://www.banggood.com/FN05-Dual-U...r_warehouse=CN

At a glance I can see my standing voltage 12.6 when I turn the key on & 14.4 when the engine is running.
Thats a great tip and a good price - ordered it just now. Hopefully when the car is sorted it'll be useful on my canal boat !!
Old 20th March 2018, 09:52   #10
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellownev View Post
Thats a great tip and a good price - ordered it just now. Hopefully when the car is sorted it'll be useful on my canal boat !!

I have connected to my phone cable and just plug it in when I get in the car.
It will give you the state of a battery on any car without even opening the bonnet.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote