Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th March 2018, 18:18   #11
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
It would be interesting to see how the numbers compare with other cars from 1998 to 2005. I doubt there is too much support for the older Mondeo or Vectra etc. Apart from the small band of modifiers and rare hotter versions of mainstream cars I’m sure they are disappearing too.
The 75/ZT was not in the Mondeo/Vectra sector, but in the BMW/Audi/Mercedes class that is partly why the Company went bankrupt, because the British public were convinced by various morons in the motoring press to look upon these wonderful cars as Mondeo/Vectra equivalents, can you imagine the French abandoning their Citroens, Peugeots, and Renaults for BMWs, Audi etc, no I cannot, they have pride.

Our cars are great, destined to be exhibited at car shows just as countless other wonderful British cars, most will vanish from roads in 5 years, and in 10 years you be lucky to see any at all, so enjoy them now, and remember Britain was the greatest car maker in the world just a few years ago, we decided to throw all that away because we can't manage people.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2018, 18:26   #12
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrorob View Post
Our cars are disappearing so fast
Mines not going anywhere, not if I can help it.
Not forgetting the help and support I get from you guys.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2018, 18:31   #13
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

[QUOTE=AndyN01;2608347]

"Some got great cars, others duff ones and the great motoring public voted with their feet."

And how.. buying BL was always pot luck. I had a 1750 Maxi HL that was a great car and 99% trouble free and then the V8 Sd1 that I had was without doubt the worst car that I ever had the misfortune to own and I wouldn't have another as a gift.
I then went on to have several Datsun/Nissan Laurels and every one was completely trouble free, as you said "drive it service it drive it again".
Cheers Ian
Old 18th March 2018, 18:41   #14
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

You might well expect cheaply made, mass-market car like Fords and Vauxhalls to dwindle quickly in number, MG/R cars will have dropped quickly into the banger price range as soon as the company went into liquidation, and the generally older, wealthier buyer will have been able to afford to trade it in cheap for the security of a prestige foreign make. It would be interesting to do a comparison between the %age of diesel Rovers remaining compared to petrol models, over their original number. Sadly, MG/Rs unwillingness to make a simple improvement to the K engines, or even fix on a recall, evidently needed for several years before the company's final demise, will have hastened their departure to the scrapyard. But no worries, this and similar sites will ensure a healthy remainder of well-loved and maintained cars for many years to come, indeed, the best tend to survive longest, and if you look at the beauties that grace every classic car meet, these will draw in many new enthusiasts like myself, who can afford to buy and run what must represent the best value in semi- classics (still too young to be a true classic), and a lovely car to drive by any standards.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2018, 20:33   #15
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote by AndyNo1

Sadly, in reality, I think we know. My father was a toolmaker in a business supplying the aerospace industry so knew more than a little about tolerances and the needs for quality. He bought many Austin/BL etc. cars.

Niggles and breakdowns and component failures with all of them culminating in a brand new Allegro going back for at least one and possibly 2 replacement gearbox(s) and never ending water leaks.

Hi Andy.

I was a toolmaker working for Aviation Tool Co supplying bits for the aerospace industry. I also had several Allegro cars. Usually in bits.

The valves and valve seats used to burn out regularly and clutches weren't too good either. I replaced two at the roadside at various times.--

My brand new Allegro also had to have a replacement gearbox.

Compared to my R75 they were the pits.

I've had my Rover for 11 years now and it has had its faults.
I have had to replace one headlight bulb. Two stop light bulbs and needed to stop a water leak in the boot. NO OTHER FAULTS.---

Most reliable car I have ever owned. Not one single drop of water in the rad also. ----NONE.
11 years and no water leaks.----

Incredible design.

COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2018, 21:31   #16
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Quote by AndyNo1

Sadly, in reality, I think we know. My father was a toolmaker in a business supplying the aerospace industry so knew more than a little about tolerances and the needs for quality. He bought many Austin/BL etc. cars.

Niggles and breakdowns and component failures with all of them culminating in a brand new Allegro going back for at least one and possibly 2 replacement gearbox(s) and never ending water leaks.

Hi Andy.

I was a toolmaker working for Aviation Tool Co supplying bits for the aerospace industry. I also had several Allegro cars. Usually in bits.

The valves and valve seats used to burn out regularly and clutches weren't too good either. I replaced two at the roadside at various times.--

My brand new Allegro also had to have a replacement gearbox.

Compared to my R75 they were the pits.

I've had my Rover for 11 years now and it has had its faults.
I have had to replace one headlight bulb. Two stop light bulbs and needed to stop a water leak in the boot. NO OTHER FAULTS.---

Most reliable car I have ever owned. Not one single drop of water in the rad also. ----NONE.
11 years and no water leaks.----

Incredible design.
What I find strange about that is that a large percentage of parts on any car are, more less, the same in terms of material and construction and sourced from common suppliers:
bulbs, belts, discs & pads, fuses, relays, shox, hosepipes, rubber parts etc.

So is it luck, design, OEM quality control or just luck when you hear of cars passing their umteenth MOT with no advisories, never needed a repair etc.?
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2018, 06:59   #17
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuman View Post
What I find strange about that is that a large percentage of parts on any car are, more less, the same in terms of material and construction and sourced from common suppliers:
bulbs, belts, discs & pads, fuses, relays, shox, hosepipes, rubber parts etc.

So is it luck, design, OEM quality control or just luck when you hear of cars passing their umteenth MOT with no advisories, never needed a repair etc.?
I don't really know.

Perhaps it's down to what the manufacturer will accept from the suppliers?

If the manufacturer performs their own quality check and, if duff, sends an entire shipment back then it sends a clear message to the supplier possibly with a hefty bill for lost/delayed production.

If they accept tat then that leads to the complete hit or miss with the end product.

Or perhaps the manufacturer specifies something that is as "marginal" as they think they can get away with and it turns out to be not up to the job?

Maybe the "look after No1 and stuff the rest" attitude leads to short term greed over long term success with a few coming out very well for now?

Maybe the consumer desire for style over substance means the true quality manufacturers can't/won't compete?

Who knows .

Sadly history is littered with once great, quality businesses being lost.

Andy.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2018, 12:16   #18
bazyerma
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

I think with people able to pick up brand new cars on under £200 a month, with zero road tax, what's the point on keeping an old car on the road if every MOT cost £500 plus road tax?

My little brother bought his Corsa 5 years ago, with a service plan witch he just paid off, cost him a few pence off £200 a month, and the only thing he has ever had to do is top up the screen wash and a new front tyres.

I know he has probable lost 50% of the value, but as single father working for a coffee chain, all he want is a reliable car with no scary bills or road tax.
Plus it came with sat nav, heated seat, steering wheel, windscreen, cruise control and a DAB radio!

Mean while my MG is an intake failure and belt service away from the scrappy (if I was that way inclined!)
bazyerma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2018, 12:29   #19
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Don't understand these statistics, no mention of LWB,s how many of them left on the road,

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2018, 12:36   #20
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

[QUOTE=Ian G;2608405]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post

"Some got great cars, others duff ones and the great motoring public voted with their feet."

And how.. buying BL was always pot luck. I had a 1750 Maxi HL that was a great car and 99% trouble free and then the V8 Sd1 that I had was without doubt the worst car that I ever had the misfortune to own and I wouldn't have another as a gift.
I then went on to have several Datsun/Nissan Laurels and every one was completely trouble free, as you said "drive it service it drive it again".
Cheers Ian
The SD1 was a remarkable car we had one for a short time, because as you said it was unreliable, that is because it was made at a time when the management of BL decided that the work force were to be treated as slave labour, in other words they mismanaged the greatest resource of the company, the work force, the Unions rightly stepped in and the rest is history
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote